Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Update on Fran

Warren Veteran

Just collected Fran. There was a gorgeous 8 week old yorkypoo pup there so I had a stroke and got a lick on my nose which made my day. Have never seen a yorkypoo. He was pure black and adorable I am still hoping to get a dog one day if I ever manage to reduce the hours I am out of the house.

Poor Fran looks a bit sorry for herself. I feel bad keep putting her through horrid procedures. The vet will call me with the blood test results and we will go from there. I am hoping to visit Mrs B next week as my original visit was cancelled due to the snow.

I am not giving Fran any meds now. She has finished her course of antibiotics and the metacam seemed to have no effect at all. If I do think she needs it I can just pop in and collect some - I don't have to take her back. I am home for most of tomorrow and think I will try to make a Victoria sandwich cake so I will be in the kitchen for a while and keep an eye on her. Dean did think it could be arthritis, which was a thought of mine, but we both came to the conclusion it was unlikely as the metacam made no difference at all.

Am going to try to feed her some treats separately to get some more weight on her. She loves carrots. I've not tried her on oats but I know my other underweight buns liked their oats. Any other ideas for food that isn't horribly unhealthy that I can use to build her up a bit?

Warren Veteran

Blood tests still aren't back but Fran has definitely lost more weight and was slightly wet underneath again. I was hoping to visit Mrs B on Wed/Thurs as my previous visit was cancelled due to the snow, but I can't leave Fran like this. Fortunately, Mrs B is being incredibly understanding about my uncertainty.

Does EC result in weight loss? She is eating well and seems bright in herself. Dean said the ultrasound should have shown up any tumour but I can't think what else the problem could be. Now she is underweight I would be scared to put her under a GA.

Zippy started eating less over the weekend. Refused spinach and just as I was starting to panic ate some coriander I put down in desperation. He ate pellets this morning but isn't enthusiastic about food so I may take him to the vet too just to reassure myself nothing is wrong. He hasn't lost any weight, but put some on as he is not having the exercise he used to have when they were outside.

I used to have eleven bunnies and now only have three, the others have all passed to Rainbow Bridge. I am starting to feel a Very Bad Bunny Owner as part from my lovely old Dylan, none of my buns have lived to be elderly - although they have all been rescue so I haven't known all their ages when I adopted them.

Vibes for Fran - and Zippy - would be appreciated. Hopefully, Dean can chase up the blood test results.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhianna View Post
    Blood tests still aren't back but Fran has definitely lost more weight and was slightly wet underneath again. I was hoping to visit Mrs B on Wed/Thurs as my previous visit was cancelled due to the snow, but I can't leave Fran like this. Fortunately, Mrs B is being incredibly understanding about my uncertainty.

Does EC result in weight loss? She is eating well and seems bright in herself. Dean said the ultrasound should have shown up any tumour but I can't think what else the problem could be. Now she is underweight I would be scared to put her under a GA.

Zippy started eating less over the weekend. Refused spinach and just as I was starting to panic ate some coriander I put down in desperation. He ate pellets this morning but isn't enthusiastic about food so I may take him to the vet too just to reassure myself nothing is wrong. He hasn't lost any weight, but put some on as he is not having the exercise he used to have when they were outside.

I used to have eleven bunnies and now only have three, the others have all passed to Rainbow Bridge. I am starting to feel a Very Bad Bunny Owner as part from my lovely old Dylan, none of my buns have lived to be elderly - although they have all been rescue so I haven't known all their ages when I adopted them.

Vibes for Fran - and Zippy - would be appreciated. Hopefully, Dean can chase up the blood test results.
    EC can cause weight loss, even if the Rabbit is still eating. As can several other health problems. Hopefully the blood test results will shed some light on what is wrong.

I think it would be a good idea to get Zippy checked over by the Vet too. Sending vibes for both of them xx

Myxomatosis , RHD1 & RHD2 - Vaccinations are ESSENTIAL to protect your Rabbit(s)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...rum-Moderator)

Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund (RWAF)~ Britains Biggest and Best Organisation for Everyone who Loves Rabbits

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

RWAF Fundraising Auction 2018~ Watch this space for details !

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    EC can cause weight loss, even if the Rabbit is still eating. As can several other health problems. Hopefully the blood test results will shed some light on what is wrong.

I think it would be a good idea to get Zippy checked over by the Vet too. Sending vibes for both of them xx
    Thanks, Jane. Fran has already had a blood test which came back completely normal. I think this one is just for EC. Yes, I will take Zippy too, although I will struggle to carry them both. To get things in proportion I probably wouldn't have noticed Zippy not eating spinach if they had been outside. She ate carrot tops too yesterday as well as hay so I guess she could just not like spinach but I will be happier after she is checked. All three pushed their way to the bowl with their pellets this morning - so quite normal. There is room for all three but they have to stand together and keep shoving each other out of the way for some reason. It's the same when I scatter herbs. They all go for the same one and ignore the others. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhianna View Post
    There is room for all three but they have to stand together and keep shoving each other out of the way for some reason. It's the same when I scatter herbs. They all go for the same one and ignore the others. Weird.
    My OH says I don't get it because I don't have siblings, but whatever the other one's got is better than anything else. Our two certainly do a good job of nose-wrestling for pellets

Best wishes for everybun
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Wise Old Thumper

Sending lots of vibes for both Fran and Zippy.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Loads of vibes for Fran and Zippy x
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

Warren Veteran

Thank you all.

Just got back as I popped into Aldi on the way home to get some carrots, basil and spring greens for the buns - and something for me to take to work for my night shift later. Fran hasn't lost weight at all - I made Dean check twice as I was convinced she had become significantly thinner. He was very patient with me and I do believe him . He spent a long time listening to her chest and tummy and feeling her and said everything sounded fine. She did hop a bit more when he put her on the floor - and that looked better too. She is very stained underneath but wasn't wet or sore. He asked about her droppings but as she is in a trio I couldn't be specific but hers are no different from the others and what goes in must come out as she eats loads and Dean said there wasn't any bloating or food stuck in her tummy.

The blood tests still aren't back but he recommended starting her on a nine day course of Panacur, to be extended if the test show she does have EC. He thought she seemed bright and happy (or as happy as anybun is at the vet). She does seem OK in herself but I was convinced she had lost loads and loads of weight. If the tests show she doesn't have EC and I am not happy with her progress he suggested Xrays next but agreed with me that we didn't want to put her under a GA unless it was necessary.

Embarrassingly, it is Violet who wasn't eating the spinach - Violet and Zippy look exactly the same apart from one having slightly longer ears. Dean couldn't be positive but thought that the bun he examined is a girl - both have been neutered so it wouldn't be obvious. Her weight is fine and he could see nothing obviously wrong. I will keep an eye on what she is eating but he didn't seem to think there was any cause for concern and agreed she doesn't need syringe feeding with the amount I have seen her eat.

I think I have become a bit paranoid since they moved inside and am over analysing every little thing. I will go to visit Di - I think the buns may be picking up on my stress and I will ask my neighbour to check that all three rush to the pellet bowl as usual. I will feed them before I go on Wednesday so can check Violet is getting her fair share.

I am so, so relieved as I really thought Fran was very underweight. She is smaller than the other two, but always has been. She hopped around the vet floor looking up at me as if to say 'I don't know what all the fuss is about'.

I am not sure whether to hope the blood tests come back positive for EC or not. Both Fran and Violet are flopped out in the kitchen after telling Zippy about their adventure

Warren Veteran

Dean has just called. Fran has tested positive for EC - VERY positive. The reading was so high the lab suggested checking again after the 28 days of Panacur have finished. I am not sure how to feel. Furby developed EC as well as having a lot of other problems and his head tilt was awful and he died soon after

But - it is good to know what is wrong with Fran and to have already started to treat it. I have moved the dog crate today so it is no longer in the middle of the kitchen (I kept falling over it). It means I can't get to one of my cupboards but I have been able to cover the rest of the floor with rugs. The big one has to go to the tip as they have soaked it and it is too big for the washing machine.

Going to text Catherine09 to see if I can meet up and chat with her as I know one of her buns has EC.

Any advice would be appreciated. Fran isn't an old bun and I want her quality of life to be as good as possible. Have I done something wrong? I am not sure what causes EC.

Wise Old Thumper

No advice, but I'm sorry that Fran has EC. Sending lots of vibes for her. I guess you will need to treat all of your rabbits now.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans