• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Fran

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
I've noticed Fran hasn't been quite 'right' recently but couldn't see anything obvious. I thought she wasn't leaving the hutch in the day - but then had to encourage her to go to bed. Yesterday when I got home from work I went to clean them out and she was in her litter tray sopping wet. When I picked her up I thought she had lost weight. I gave her a bottom bath, dried her and put her back in the hutch and closed the doors so Violet and Zippy couldn't get in and gave her a carrot with tops, kale and some lemon balm. She nibbled a little carrot top but was more concerned with grooming her damp bits. I kept checking on her through the evening and she did eat enough for me not to syringe feed her. I did give her some metacam. Kept her apart from the other two overnight and more food had gone this morning, but she was wet again and clearly something is not right.

I took her to the vet. The guy I saw seemed bunny savvy. He gave her a thorough check. No lumps and bumps which is a huge relief after Bochy. Her eye looked sore but her teeth are fine. He then tried to take some blood to check her glucose level but the first machine would not work so he had to go and get another and then her ear would not co-operate. Fran was so, so good. She just sat there and let me stroke her. Eventually, he managed to get enough to test and said her level was slightly elevated but not enough for me to need to stress her out by syringe feeding her.

He flushed her eye out next - and again she was incredibly good. I was so proud of her. He thinks the wetness may be due to a urine infection and gave a baytril injection and a metaclop injection to stimulate her appetite. I have baytril to give her orally for seven days. Her weight is the same as last time I took her, which is a relief.

Am concerned about giving her bottom baths as it is so cold at the moment. The vet said it is OK as long as I dry her thoroughly. He suggested I used a hair dryer but she is an outdoor bun and I am worried that will make her too warm.

I am going out now with a friend who is in a wheelchair as it was her birthday over the weekend. She was really looking forward to getting out and there is nothing I can do for Fran at the moment so I haven't cancelled taking my friend out. I am working an overnight shift tonight but will make sure Fran is snuggly tucked in her hutch before I leave. She is back with the other two now.

Vibes for a full recovery for her would be really appreciated. She is a BARC bun and I have had her since she was tiny. She is gentle and sweet and not an old bun. She deserves many more years of bunnying!!!!

Last edited:
I've noticed Fran hasn't been quite 'right' recently but couldn't see anything obvious. I thought she wasn't leaving the hutch in the day - but then had to encourage her to go to bed. Yesterday when I got home from work I went to clean them out and she was in her litter tray sopping wet. When I picked her up I thought she had lost weight. I gave her a bottom bath, dried her and put her back in the hutch and closed the doors so Violet and Zippy couldn't get in and gave her a carrot with tops, kale and some lemon balm. She nibbled a little carrot top but was more concerned with grooming her damp bits. I kept checking on her through the evening and she did eat enough for me not to syringe feed her. I did give her some metacam. Kept her apart from the other two overnight and more food had gone this morning, but she was wet again and clearly something is not right.

I took her to the vet. The guy I saw seemed bunny savvy. He gave her a thorough check. No lumps and bumps which is a huge relief after Bochy. Her eye looked sore but her teeth are fine. He then tried to take some blood to check her glucose level but the first machine would not work so he had to go and get another and then her ear would not co-operate. Fran was so, so good. She just sat there and let me stroke her. Eventually, he managed to get enough to test and said her level was slightly elevated but not enough for me to need to stress her out by syringe feeding her.

He flushed her eye out next - and again she was incredibly good. I was so proud of her. He thinks the wetness may be due to a urine infection and gave a baytril injection and a metaclop injection to stimulate her appetite. I have baytril to give her orally for seven days. Her weight is the same as last time I took her, which is a relief.

Am concerned about giving her bottom baths as it is so cold at the moment. The vet said it is OK as long as I dry her thoroughly. He suggested I used a hair dryer but she is an outdoor bun and I am worried that will make her too warm.

I am going out now with a friend who is in a wheelchair as it was her birthday over the weekend. She was really looking forward to getting out and there is nothing I can do for Fran at the moment so I haven't cancelled taking my friend out. I am working an overnight shift tonight but will make sure Fran is snuggly tucked in her hutch before I leave. She is back with the other two now.

Vibes for a full recovery for her would be really appreciated. She is a BARC bun and I have had her since she was tiny. She is gentle and sweet and not an old bun. She deserves many more years of bunnying!!!!

I would agree with your vet and not worry - although I have been contradicted in the past for saying that (of course!)

Millions of vibes for Fran for a very full recovery :)

Best wishes for Fran: when we used to bum-bath tiny Charlie we towelled him well and kept him in for about 4hrs max. to let the underfur get dry, he was always fine and he didn't have anyone to snuggle with :)

Hope Fran is better soon. Would it be possible to bring her inside, maybe into the front room ?

I've just had the front room decorated and the holes in the plaster my previous buns nommed filled and re-papered and painted. I have a new TV (the buns ate the cable of the last one and I had no TV for 18 months) and a new (well second hand from e-bay) settee as the last one was somewhat nibbled. If I brought Fran in now it would be into the kitchen but I would then have to keep all three buns in until the weather gets warmer and I don't really have the space they would need. Fran is tending to stay in the bedroom part of the hutch which is filled to the top with hay and she has never felt cold when I have been out to her - and I work shifts so have checked at very unsocial hours early morning. I am starting work at midnight today and will check her before I leave for work. If she does feel cold then I will bring her into the kitchen for the short term but I think Zippy and Violet would hate it. They run up and down the back yard and clamber over the tubes and would have far, far less space indoors.

Fran has never been an indoor rabbit and I am wary of stressing her out, especially as she is on the edge of stasis. It would be much easier to look after her indoors though (and warmer for me) but the vet did not suggest it - and I told him she was kept outside, so I think I will leave her outside for now, but get the kitchen bunny safe in case she does have to come in.

I am intending to get a fourth bun but was waiting for the warmer weather to bond them indoors.

It is really difficult knowing what to do for the best - bunnies are such complicated beings and Fran did not like being separated from the other two buns last night but it was essential so that I could check that she had not stopped eating completely.

Thank you for the vibes. Fran is a really lovely, gentle, friendly bun who is fortunately incredibly good with hands-on care, although does hate bottom baths.

Sending vibes for Fran. My bridge bun Smudge lived outside and needed regular bum baths. I used a hairdryer in colder weather to dry her off, making sure that I kept my hand between the dryer and Smudge so it didn't get too hot on her skin. Other than that it was fine x

I have a water proof bunny bed I bought for my trio they don't use, I could post it to you.

That would be really useful, Amanda, thank you. I'll transfer the postage money for you. Have just been outside and Fran and Violet were in the hutch and Zippy was in the run. Fran was in the main bit, not the bedding bit and as soon as I gave her some carrot she started nomming enthusiastically so I am hoping the gut stimulant is working. Will get some herbs on the way home from work as I only have lemon balm in the garden, everything else has died off. The vet suggested mixing the Baytril with juice so I need to get some of that too.

I don't really like leaving her and going to work but I was signed off in January with asthma so I daren't not go in. I wouldn't actually be with Fran overnight anyway and I worry that my stress will make her worst. I finish at 0600 so can go shopping and then check on her and medicate her before I go to bed in the morning.

Fran says thank you for the vibes :love: She is much happier being back with Violet and Zippy. I really don't want to separate them unless I have to. I only took her to the vet on her own as I can't physically carry three rabbits.

Absolutely not, I want you to have it, no postage needed. Fran may not use it, like mine.

Glad Fran is feeling better with Violet and Zippy.

You have a heart of gold Amanda :love:

K, I hope that Fran continues to improve xx

I second that Jane. Thank you Amanda.

Fran was in the sleeping bit of the hutch when I got home from work. I cleaned them out and then gave her some kale which she started nomming with enthusiasm. The metaclop has definitely worked :) I bought some mint in Tesco too but will give her that later on. I gave her a few pellets but want to make sure she continues eating hay. Having said that, she could put on a little bit of weight I think as she is lighter than the other two and neither of them are overweight. It is good to see her eating and enjoying her food. Even when she was at her most poorly she was nibbling carrot so I think the vet is right when he said her sore eye is nothing to do with dental issues. She didn't flinch at all when the vet was checking her mouth.

It's pouring with rain here so I hope she stays in the hutch. Violet and Zippy are both out in the run getting wet - silly bunnies. I don't want to shut her in the hutch though as that will stress her out.

Going to try to sleep now and will check on her when I get up.

Back