• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Fran

No advice, but I'm sorry that Fran has EC. Sending lots of vibes for her. I guess you will need to treat all of your rabbits now.

The vet didn't mention that but I guess you are right. I don't know the dosage for Zippy as he hasn't been weighed recently. Will see if I can chat with one of the vets or vet nurses tomorrow. Fortunately, I am not working at all so could take Zippy in if they need to see him.

Dean has just called. Fran has tested positive for EC - VERY positive. The reading was so high the lab suggested checking again after the 28 days of Panacur have finished. I am not sure how to feel. Furby developed EC as well as having a lot of other problems and his head tilt was awful and he died soon after:(

But - it is good to know what is wrong with Fran and to have already started to treat it. I have moved the dog crate today so it is no longer in the middle of the kitchen (I kept falling over it). It means I can't get to one of my cupboards but I have been able to cover the rest of the floor with rugs. The big one has to go to the tip as they have soaked it and it is too big for the washing machine.

Going to text Catherine09 to see if I can meet up and chat with her as I know one of her buns has EC.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Fran isn't an old bun and I want her quality of life to be as good as possible. Have I done something wrong? I am not sure what causes EC.

I posted this in an earlier message on here

I am pleased to read that Fran's urinary tract problems appear to have resolved and that her urine scald is better. You may want to have a read of this information relating to EC :

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/e-cuniculi/

Topping up the vibes for Fran x

All in contact Rabbits will need to be treated too.

Hi Karen,

I have a bridge bun bam who was positive EC. He had bladder stones and sludge which made him wet underneath. This was visable on xray.

I have some brand new panacur you can have for your buns that I bought the other day for my bunny first aid kit. A shop near me sells it if you need me to get a few.

I had to do low calcium diet, low calcium water etc.

I wouldn't be too worried about head tilt... My ec bun bam went blind and deaf and lived till over eight and only pts due to having dental every few weeks due to malliclusion. (Ironic for me to say not to worry :D)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

[/B]

I posted this in an earlier message on here

All in contact Rabbits will need to be treated too.

Thanks Jane. I did read that but had forgotten some of it - shift work and the menopause have a lot to answer for!!!! The vet saying the lab wanted another sample sent after the Panacur course makes sense now too.

Fran has started exploring the hallway a little now (I leave the barrier down when I am home). When I came upstairs just now Zippy was grooming her :love: I was worried I would have to separate them but from what I have read, although I need to treat all the buns, they can stay together. It would break Fran's heart to be on her own as well as stuck indoors.

Was worried when I read that humans can catch it too but I don't have any of the 'at risk' illnesses/conditions fortunately.

Hi Karen,

I have a bridge bun bam who was positive EC. He had bladder stones and sludge which made him wet underneath. This was visable on xray.

I have some brand new panacur you can have for your buns that I bought the other day for my bunny first aid kit. A shop near me sells it if you need me to get a few.

I had to do low calcium diet, low calcium water etc.

I wouldn't be too worried about head tilt... My ec bun bam went blind and deaf and lived till over eight and only pts due to having dental every few weeks due to malliclusion. (Ironic for me to say not to worry :D)

Thank you so much. It will probably be less expensive for me to buy Panacur elsewhere than the vet, especially as I am going to need a lot of it. I was terrified she had a tumour, like Bochy, so in a way I am relieved that it is something that can be treated, although not cured. I guess I won't be able to bond a fourth bun with them now as I was hoping to once the weather improved (and they could be put outside in a neutral hutch/run).

Furby was deaf when I adopted him and he coped really well as Faye was his ears. When Furby went to the bridge I put Fran with Faye so maybe it was passed on like that as Furby had EC towards the end of his life.

My vet have just sent me an invitation to an evening on 'Spotting the early signs of Rabbit Illness' on 5 April in Emsworth. Don't know if you would fancy coming with me? Will ask about it when I go in tomorrow but it sounds good.

Dean has just called. Fran has tested positive for EC - VERY positive. The reading was so high the lab suggested checking again after the 28 days of Panacur have finished. I am not sure how to feel. Furby developed EC as well as having a lot of other problems and his head tilt was awful and he died soon after:(

But - it is good to know what is wrong with Fran and to have already started to treat it. I have moved the dog crate today so it is no longer in the middle of the kitchen (I kept falling over it). It means I can't get to one of my cupboards but I have been able to cover the rest of the floor with rugs. The big one has to go to the tip as they have soaked it and it is too big for the washing machine.

Going to text Catherine09 to see if I can meet up and chat with her as I know one of her buns has EC.

Any advice would be appreciated. Fran isn't an old bun and I want her quality of life to be as good as possible. Have I done something wrong? I am not sure what causes EC.

Hi Rhianna,:wave: I'm in the same boat with my girl Nancy:cry:

My Vet confirmed yesterday she has EC. I noticed around Christmas time that there were lots of litter box accidents - it was my mum, however, who commented on her excessive drinking when she had them for a couple of days at New Year.

She was otherwise well, no loss of appetite at all. She went to the vets early January, urine sample showed infection and crystals so she was started on Baytril for 2 weeks. There was marked improvement and follow up test showed infection had cleared and crystals remained and we would monitor her.

She started weeing everywhere again so we were back to the vets last Monday, fresh urine test revealed no infection so vet did EC test.

She has had no neurological symptoms, just the thirst and weeing everywhere. She's got Baytril for 10 days and both her and Will are on Panacur for 28 days.

I too am wondering how/why. Maybe we can 'hold each other's hand' and with the excellent support from other RU members I'm sure we can help our rabbits get through this.

I've a couple of threads in 'health' which have got some good advice in.

Just caught up with this thread. Hope the panacur works its magic on all three of your rabbits.

The evening in April sounds good.

Thank you so much. It will probably be less expensive for me to buy Panacur elsewhere than the vet, especially as I am going to need a lot of it. I was terrified she had a tumour, like Bochy, so in a way I am relieved that it is something that can be treated, although not cured. I guess I won't be able to bond a fourth bun with them now as I was hoping to once the weather improved (and they could be put outside in a neutral hutch/run).

Furby was deaf when I adopted him and he coped really well as Faye was his ears. When Furby went to the bridge I put Fran with Faye so maybe it was passed on like that as Furby had EC towards the end of his life.

My vet have just sent me an invitation to an evening on 'Spotting the early signs of Rabbit Illness' on 5 April in Emsworth. Don't know if you would fancy coming with me? Will ask about it when I go in tomorrow but it sounds good.
That sounds interesting! Let me know what vet says xx

I still don't have the Panacur:( 'phoned the surgery and was told they sent it on 20th. Fran will now need to start the whole course again as she has missed two doses. I feel a really bad bunny Mummy for letting this happen.

Being stuck at home, unable to drive, is soooo frustrating.

Violet still isn't eating as much as usual but she is eating. Just hope the Panacur arrives on Monday.

Am washing their rugs out and will mop the floor which is disgusting. They are now using the second litter tray but are still using the floor as a litter tray:(:(

I still don't have the Panacur:( 'phoned the surgery and was told they sent it on 20th. Fran will now need to start the whole course again as she has missed two doses. I feel a really bad bunny Mummy for letting this happen.

Violet still isn't eating as much as usual but she is eating. Just hope the Panacur arrives on Monday.

Am washing their rugs out and will mop the floor which is disgusting. They are now using the second litter tray but are still using the floor as a litter tray:(:(
I'll get you some tomorrow how many bunnies you have? Xx

I've only just found out you can buy Panacur Rabbit on Amazon. Just need to check the correct dosage with your vet.xx

Thank you both. I have five syringes in the post to me so I don't want to buy any more than one extra syringe. I've text you Loobers. It is so kind of you to come and see me tomorrow but the house is a real state with the bunnies indoors and me not able to bend easily. I am in bed now and just going to sleep as I get so tired with the analgesia:(:(

Thought I would do an update on Fran. Loobers kindly bought me a Panacur syringe to keep me going until the vet ones came so all three buns have been started on their 28 day course.

They continue to wet the rugs and leave droppings everywhere. I don't have a tumble drier so it is difficult to rotate the rugs as I don't have enough. Loobers gave me lots of goodies for the bunnies and they are enjoying the forage, herbs and veg. I give them something nommy straight after their Panacur.

A couple of times I have thought Fran had gone to Rainbow Bridge as she has been flopped out with the others on top of her but as soon as I produce noms she gets up. She is now dry underneath and the fur is starting to grow back in the bald spots. She seems more tired than before but apart from that, completely back to her usual self.

What I have noticed is how well bonded all three bunnies are. When they were outside I thought Fran was left out a bit but now the three are often snuggled together and if there is one left out, it is probably Violet. They do cuddle up together a lot, which is lovely to see and I am so happy that I decided to bring all three in and not separate Fran from her friends. She would have been so miserable.

Having them in my small kitchen is not ideal but they are getting much more treats as they are there when I am cooking so I throw down a piece of apple (was doing crumble today) or carrot or whatever I am having. I just wish they were house trained. They have two litter trays (the cats have stopped sleeping in one of them) and do use them, but use the rugs too.

Fran does seem a lot better. I am not sure if she is losing weight. I was convinced she did before but when the vet weighed her she was exactly the same so I am trying not to get paranoid about it as I am convinced the buns pick up on my stress. She seems happy and I think her quality of life is as good as it can be when she is stuck in a fairly small kitchen but it won't be forever and at least now she is warm and dry.

What about using Puppy Training pads on top of the rugs ?

I hope that Fran continues to make progress, it is encouraging news that she is now dry underneath and her urine scald is healing :)

Thought I would do an update on Fran. Loobers kindly bought me a Panacur syringe to keep me going until the vet ones came so all three buns have been started on their 28 day course.

They continue to wet the rugs and leave droppings everywhere. I don't have a tumble drier so it is difficult to rotate the rugs as I don't have enough. Loobers gave me lots of goodies for the bunnies and they are enjoying the forage, herbs and veg. I give them something nommy straight after their Panacur.

A couple of times I have thought Fran had gone to Rainbow Bridge as she has been flopped out with the others on top of her but as soon as I produce noms she gets up. She is now dry underneath and the fur is starting to grow back in the bald spots. She seems more tired than before but apart from that, completely back to her usual self.

What I have noticed is how well bonded all three bunnies are. When they were outside I thought Fran was left out a bit but now the three are often snuggled together and if there is one left out, it is probably Violet. They do cuddle up together a lot, which is lovely to see and I am so happy that I decided to bring all three in and not separate Fran from her friends. She would have been so miserable.

Having them in my small kitchen is not ideal but they are getting much more treats as they are there when I am cooking so I throw down a piece of apple (was doing crumble today) or carrot or whatever I am having. I just wish they were house trained. They have two litter trays (the cats have stopped sleeping in one of them) and do use them, but use the rugs too.

Fran does seem a lot better. I am not sure if she is losing weight. I was convinced she did before but when the vet weighed her she was exactly the same so I am trying not to get paranoid about it as I am convinced the buns pick up on my stress. She seems happy and I think her quality of life is as good as it can be when she is stuck in a fairly small kitchen but it won't be forever and at least now she is warm and dry.

I'm glad she's now dry underneath.

Nancy remains clean and dry underneath, but 2 weeks in with the Panacur she's still weeing everywhere:cry:

There's been a couple of wee free days and overnights (apart from in litter box of course) and I think we've turned the corner and then we're back to square one again the next day.

Other than the weeing you'd not know there's anything wrong with her.

Sending tons of vibes for Fran and her friends.:love:

Puppy training pads are a brilliant idea - thank you, Jane.

I'm not sure if it is just Fran who is urinating over the rugs or all of them as I have never noticed any of them doing it - I am always doing something when I am in the kitchen. I received the stuff from Zooplus in a big box so am going to make some holes in it so they have something to play with. I've got a little stool I use for the higher cupboards that is folded up in the kitchen but if I open it, it is just the right height for a bunny to sit on. I've tried them with toys and they just ignore them, but did chew the box my new iron came in - but that had fallen on the floor and they thought they weren't allowed to:) I scatter their herbs and forage and have mixed the nommy hay with the other hay in their litter boxes.

Thank you for your support. I'm glad Nancy is remaining dry underneath too. It is so difficult to stop them getting sore when they are constantly wet.

Puppy training pads are a brilliant idea - thank you, Jane.

I'm not sure if it is just Fran who is urinating over the rugs or all of them as I have never noticed any of them doing it - I am always doing something when I am in the kitchen. I received the stuff from Zooplus in a big box so am going to make some holes in it so they have something to play with. I've got a little stool I use for the higher cupboards that is folded up in the kitchen but if I open it, it is just the right height for a bunny to sit on. I've tried them with toys and they just ignore them, but did chew the box my new iron came in - but that had fallen on the floor and they thought they weren't allowed to:) I scatter their herbs and forage and have mixed the nommy hay with the other hay in their litter boxes.

Thank you for your support. I'm glad Nancy is remaining dry underneath too. It is so difficult to stop them getting sore when they are constantly wet.

I used puppy pads on top of rugs for my elderly incontinent lady and she moved them to one side with her characteristic stubbornness and still wee'd on the carpet :roll::lol:

Good news about the dryness though, as you say, it's a pain to keep them from getting sore.

Sending vibes to Fran and Nancy xx

Back