• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dog food

shauna_hale

Young Bun
I try to keep my dog's food out od the way when I let my bunnies run free thru the house. However, there have been a couple of instances where my mini rex Cinnamon will head straight to the dog food before I can move it.

I'm pretty sure she shouldn't eat it, but what causes this? My other rabbits just ignore it. So far she hasn't gotten sick...

She doesn't even care if the dog is there.
e4398560102aafba577b6292983ce95d.jpg
a92dee7c0b953ab00dc246c54c83aff2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Its strange behaviour I admit, its also one I'd put a stop to, feed my dog elsewhere perhaps. As herbivores they shouldn't be eating meat

Its strange behaviour I admit, its also one I'd put a stop to, feed my dog elsewhere perhaps. As herbivores they shouldn't be eating meat
I know, isn't it strange? It's so weird.

This particular dog food has two types of morsels in it. One kind of is like a triangle shape brown morsel and the other is more of a chicken chunk. She only seems to eat the little brown triangle ones. She has no interest in the chicken flavored ones.

Normally, my bunnies have a room to run in, but today I just let them out so they can have more exercise and run around the house. She went straight for the dog food. Like I said, the other ones don't care about it at all.

I thought maybe it was a rabbit Pica or something.

Is there any reason for leaving dog food down? Dogs usually polish off their food pretty quickly, so there wouldn't normally be a chance for anything else to eat it. There is also a chance that a dog could turn on another animal eating it's food. I would put it out of the way so that the rabbits can't get to it as it's not ideal for them. Rexes are known to be greedy buns, and this proves the point.

Is there any reason for leaving dog food down? Dogs usually polish off their food pretty quickly, so there wouldn't normally be a chance for anything else to eat it. There is also a chance that a dog could turn on another animal eating it's food. I would put it out of the way so that the rabbits can't get to it as it's not ideal for them. Rexes are known to be greedy buns, and this proves the point.

I have a small poodle and he doesn't eat like that. Normally, they're not even in that psrt of the house. Normally, I remember to put it up. I just thought it strange that she would make a beeline to it.

Maybe just separate the rabbit from the dog food just to be sure. Maybe your rabbit has different preferences? But don't have them eat dog food even if they like it.

I've made sure to keep it up when they're out. She seems to have encouraged another one to do the same. :(

I've got no clue why she does it. But, she hasn't had any since I've noticed she's done it!

Back