• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Leaky Bun

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
Hello,

I’m looking for some advice regarding my little Pepper, who is seemingly leaking wee.

I smelled her two days ago and thought it was unusual, as she is normally a tidy bun. I gave her a little bum wash and yesterday she seemed ok. I came home from work today and she smells again. I picked her up to have a look, and she is wet around the bum area.

I’m guessing it is some sort of UTI and I’ll call the Vet in the morning, but what usually happens? Do they give antibiotics? Is there anything I can do straight away?

She is a bit quieter than normal, but she’s eating (hay, pellets, greens & treats). I haven’t seen her drink (not unusual) but she has pee’d & poo’d in her tray. She’s grunting (normal for her) and she wants attention (also normal).

Hello,

I’m looking for some advice regarding my little Pepper, who is seemingly leaking wee.

I smelled her two days ago and thought it was unusual, as she is normally a tidy bun. I gave her a little bum wash and yesterday she seemed ok. I came home from work today and she smells again. I picked her up to have a look, and she is wet around the bum area.

I’m guessing it is some sort of UTI and I’ll call the Vet in the morning, but what usually happens? Do they give antibiotics? Is there anything I can do straight away?

She is a bit quieter than normal, but she’s eating (hay, pellets, greens & treats). I haven’t seen her drink (not unusual) but she has pee’d & poo’d in her tray. She’s grunting (normal for her) and she wants attention (also normal).

Hi there BB :wave:

Yes it could be a UTI. If you can get a sample of wee before you take her to the vet, it would be a good thing. You can use something non-absorbent in the litter tray (I use just hay) and collect the wee in a syringe (or tip it into a clean jar).

The vet can do a dipstick test, look at it under a microscope, or send it off to the lab ..

The vet may be able to express her bladder whilst she's in clinic, but if she's just had a wee it will be difficult.

A course of antibiotics usually clears it up! :)

Hi there BB :wave:

Yes it could be a UTI. If you can get a sample of wee before you take her to the vet, it would be a good thing. You can use something non-absorbent in the litter tray (I use just hay) and collect the wee in a syringe (or tip it into a clean jar).

The vet can do a dipstick test, look at it under a microscope, or send it off to the lab ..

The vet may be able to express her bladder whilst she's in clinic, but if she's just had a wee it will be difficult.

A course of antibiotics usually clears it up! :)
This

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Probably nothing to worry about, probs just a simple UTI like everyone says :) How old is she and what size? My bun started to accidently urinate on herself when she started to get arthritis and it was uncomfortable to position properly. She was around 7 when she had arthritis creep in but I noticed right away just based on she wouldn't jump onto my bed. About 9 she started to urinate on herself but I believe she would have began to do this when it first appeared if I hadn't notice the subtle bed hopping reluctance. We upped her dose of Metacam and she was fine until she was around 11 and then needed regular bum baths. The reason I ask for size is because mine was a Netherland dwarf, being so tiny she had less strain on joints but large breeds of rabbit (so your french lops, flemish etc) can develop this from around the age of 4 if they're unlucky.

When you go i'd just ask the vet to check her motions it could be she bumped herself and is sore on one of her paws or anything really. My vet moved her legs all around to discover that she was a bit stiff so always worth a mention :)

Sorry, I only saw this now - but thank you.

OH took her to Vet who prescribed Baytril twice a day and a return visit in 10 days. If she isn’t better, I’ll ask them to check.

Pepper is just over a year, and a small, naughty Nethie. She’s not happy with us at the moment: bum wash, trip to Vet and then medicine... I expect she’ll ignore me for a day or two :D

Sorry, I only saw this now - but thank you.

OH took her to Vet who prescribed Baytril twice a day and a return visit in 10 days. If she isn’t better, I’ll ask them to check.

Pepper is just over a year, and a small, naughty Nethie. She’s not happy with us at the moment: bum wash, trip to Vet and then medicine... I expect she’ll ignore me for a day or two :D

... or more .. it's the nasty tasting Baytril :shock:

Back