• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Millie at out of hour vets

I don't know how she can eat her breakfast, refuse a lunch time snack then be dead. They said they couldn't get her to poo through the night. I asked if it was bloat, they said no:, ( I asked for PM they said it probably wouldn't show much as they believe it was gut issue :, ( she used to binky, zoom was so confident. I just don't understand. My heart is in pieces why

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

What a terrible shock shock for you. I am so sorry. RIP Millie xxxxx

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I don't know how she can eat her breakfast, refuse a lunch time snack then be dead. They said they couldn't get her to poo through the night. I asked if it was bloat, they said no:, ( I asked for PM they said it probably wouldn't show much as they believe it was gut issue :, ( she used to binky, zoom was so confident. I just don't understand. My heart is in pieces why

:cry:

((((((((((((((((hugs+++++++++++))))))))))))))))) xx

Oh no :cry:
Loobers, I am so very sorry to read this. :(
If there's anything I can do, please pm me. Sending you comforting vibes and thoughts. xxxxxxx

What do I do about Toby? He's on his own now :, ( I want to start looking for him as im so worried about him being on his own all day :, ( preferably a trio so no bun is left behind :, (

91164bf0b34acb935147d95adf2d8521.jpg

It's heartbreaking, it really is. I have no personal experience of this but have you let Toby be in contact with Millie's body? Apparently bunnies will come to terms with the loss and realise their friend has gone if they can do this. I'm not sure about timescales for rebonding but i think if Toby pines then it might be something to do sooner rather than later. I'm sure someone with experience will be along to help you soon x

It's heartbreaking, it really is. I have no personal experience of this but have you let Toby be in contact with Millie's body? Apparently bunnies will come to terms with the loss and realise their friend has gone if they can do this. I'm not sure about timescales for rebonding but i think if Toby pines then it might be something to do sooner rather than later. I'm sure someone with experience will be along to help you soon x
He was at the vets with Millie so I quess he would of been sat with her body for a few hours. She was checked at 4 am and she was ok and then checked again at 6.00 and Millie had passed away. I have never been in this situation so if anyone could guide us on what to do. I'm at the vets now waiting to pick Toby up and give Millie a kiss

I agree with martlou that there are no exact timescales as to when to get a new friend for a bereaved bunny. Toby will understand that Millie has gone so I would follow your own instinct as to when to get him a new friend. When my bun Snoopy lost his friend I started contacting rescues immediately. This is because he craves bunny companionship and I felt very strongly that for his own well being he needed another friend quickly. On the other hand there is no issue if you feel he needs more time to grieve for Millie so you can always wait a bit longer.

I really do feel for you. It's so hard coping with the loss of a beloved bunny and trying to do what's best for the one left on their own. xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding Toby, if I were you I would wait to see how he is. I think at the moment it is too early to tell.

Also from experience here I would say that all rabbits will deal with this situation differently. As you know my three Rexes were incredibly closely bonded and I feared, especially for Tan, after Yan died. Both she and Tethra "appeared" to be fine and were behaving completely as normal. But then Tan died unexpectedly just over a month afterwards. I will never know if Tan died, at least in part, because she was grieving for Yan. Then when Tethra was left by himself, I expected him to grieve and yet he gives no signs of doing so and indeed he is definitely more energetic now. I attempted to bond him recently and that failed, but again that could have been due to so many different reasons and so I can't put it down to Tethra wanting to stay by himself. So, whilst I agree strongly that rabbits should live with other rabbits, in my view different situations will not develop along the accepted lines.

I'm so sorry to read your update. I had similar shock last year when I lost Gracie (although she had had blockage surgery which had allegedly been successful). It's just impossible to get your head round how quickly and easily they can die - I'm still not there after 13 months. I wish your vets had a least tried t get answers for you. "probably wouldn't" isn't really good enough... you need to understand to get closure. This is the tough side of rabbit ownership sadly, sudden and inexplicable losses. So sorry your girl has left you:cry:

Back