• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Millie at out of hour vets

Does anyone have any advice they can give for buns prone to statis? Long term?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Oh No, sending lots of vibes for her. I know a lot of people found that cutting out fenugreek crunchies from the diet seemed to help.

Oh No, sending lots of vibes for her. I know a lot of people found that cutting out fenugreek crunchies from the diet seemed to help.
Thank you zoobec but Millie has never had one of those crunchies. I need to find what's triggering it in her diet?

She has:

Excel pellets
Vet care fibre sticks (only introduced after last statis so I know it's not that )
Lots of hay
Then last night I sprinkled dried 5
A day forage mix, dandelion and mint on to the hay for a forage.

They get this routine both in the morning and in the evening.

Oh and she ate a small piece of dried dandelion root from the hay experts.

Bramble always used to develop stasis around April and October for about three years, almost like clockwork. The only cause I could link it to way the change of season and possible moult changes. Later on I also found that any veggies could trigger it but forage was fine. I've known idea why some buns seem so prone to it, but I hope Millie is feeling better x

Here's some more vibes for Millie..

I used to have stasis problems with my two when they were on excel. I also reduced the amount of pellets they get.

Now I watch Archie around moulting time, he normally starts chewing the furniture, it's like he's telling me he's a bit off colour. I then give them plantain, its really good for convincing him to eat something. Perhaps it soothes their tums? This normal gets him back to normal.

I found when they had more pellets they always looked too full after eating them! A bit like when we eat a big roast dinner...

Maybe Millie was moulting and it put extra stress on her.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Elijah has just had his thirty-something admission for stasis, I feel your frustration. There may be nothing wrong with Millie's diet but something in her make up. I hope she recovers quickly.

I agree with those who have posted about moulting and seasonal changes sending bunnies into stasis. Although whilst living in Alaska I watched a few of my neighbor's 'released' bunnies go through severe moults and they seemed to do fine with no grooming whatsoever. They also had incredibly large poo piles that they'd leave in my yard. :shock:
The only differences I can think of would be the kind of forage they ate as opposed to my three, plus they had the whole neighborhood to run in. Now that's not possible, nor even safe, for our buns but it does make me think how house bunnies do eat things that wildies and these particular farmed bunnies did not. I found a huge improvement in my bunnies' health when we cut out pellets. We also would only feed treats very rarely and tried to keep up with their coats/exercise times, but it's not always possible, especially if you have bunnies who hate grooming like my little Fiver did, and Mimzy was really cranky about it as his arthritis advanced.

I wonder too if hay changes season to season. I think stasis happens more frequently after the fresh grasses of summer have faded and as supplies of hay reach the poorer point in quality after sitting in barns all winter.

Sending many vibes for Millie that she recovers quickly and a cause for her issues can be found and resolved. xxxxx

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your replies. I agree about the pellets...Toby and Millie will usually collapse and stretch out after eating pellets. I'm thinking maybe if I cut down the pellets to a very small amount. But how do I go about a pellet free diet? Being house buns I'm worried about vitamin d etc? Toby (her husbun) has never had a problem yet they are share the same food.

Forgive me for sounding silly, but how does going through a moult put a rabbit into statis? By fur ingestion?

Elijah has just had his thirty-something admission for stasis, I feel your frustration. There may be nothing wrong with Millie's diet but something in her make up. I hope she recovers quickly.
How do you manage?!

Millie is the black magpie here
6fd463c5dc401275f33130ff39d73104.jpg

Here's some more vibes for Millie..

I used to have stasis problems with my two when they were on excel. I also reduced the amount of pellets they get.

Now I watch Archie around moulting time, he normally starts chewing the furniture, it's like he's telling me he's a bit off colour. I then give them plantain, its really good for convincing him to eat something. Perhaps it soothes their tums? This normal gets him back to normal.

I found when they had more pellets they always looked too full after eating them! A bit like when we eat a big roast dinner...

Maybe Millie was moulting and it put extra stress on her.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
I have a brand new bag of plaintan to introduce here! Will be interesting to try. It does say on the packet aids digestion

How do you manage?!

I've learnt to cope! but when they tell me the blood glucose is above about 17 I do stress a lot as he has had two blockages needing surgery and has a 'stricture' in his intestines (not as elastic as it should be) meaning he is at high risk of blockage. I'm mightily glad I got him insured!!

Back