• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving my rabbit to the garage.

edward

Young Bun
Just today I have moved my rabbit to the garage, including his cage. The temperatures there are pretty much the same as they are outside but its much drier.
Is there anything else I need to do for example put a blanket over his cage when its night?
What are the safe temperatures for rabbits?
I will be letting him inside every day so he doesn't feel lonely.
Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.

Well, rabbits can cope with -20°C well when protected from draft, have a hidy house and when they are used to it.

I would advice against taking him into a heated room for company when it's cold. What I've read temperature changes can cause problems to their lungs, better suit up to give him some company. Their natural burrows would be just above freezing, so that would be ok, but I would not take a rabbit from -10°C inside a 20° room.

Can he have a big pen in the garage attached to his cage so he can exercise and run around to keep warm?I would go in the garage as much as you can to keep him company rather than bringing him indoors as the big temperature difference between indoors and outdoors at this time of year can be detrimental to their health-unless there is a room he can be in which isn't heated.
Rabbits are quite hardy.Its damp and draughts that can cause health issues.If hes got lots of hay to snuggle into and boxes and shelters stuffed with hay/straw he should be ok.A friend to snuggle with is big help too to keep warm and alleviate boredom.A good local rescue would be able to help you bond him to another rabbit in their care.

I moved my mini lops into the garage last year when the weather got really cold and wet. I attached a run to the hutch so they could have room to run about and play. I would advise against bringing them inside during the day. Rabbits have to be either indoor or outdoor buns. You are not supposed to mix the two.
Like you say the temperature in the garage is pritty much the same as outside but its a lot dryer.
Good luck!

When his cage was in the house, he just had so much fur coming off him, we had to hoover everyday to keep the house clean. We normally let him outside for the whole day, mainly open the garage and the door to the outside and he does whatever he wants to and then bring him in at night so no predators get him and lock him in for the night. He binkies like crazy when he is outside. Today we moved his whole cage into the garage, for now I locked him in the cage to for the night to tell him "Hey this is where your home is now" as he looked confused when he jumped back into the house and saw no cage.
I also didn't wash the litter tray as I normally would so he has his smell for the night. Tommorow I'm planning to just let him run around the garage free all day and night.

Back