Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by daphnephoebe View Post
    It may be that they never bonded before in that case.
    Just because buns are related it doesn't mean they will automatically bond.

The most important thing all borders can agree on is the need for neuteral space for bonding.

While they are separated it'd be worth having a read through the different threads on bonding.

If I get time tomorrow I'll send you a PM with some basic bonding info but as of right now I'm heading off to bed x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    Great. Thank you. Ignore the reply on the chat room for now! I'll keep all conversation in one place from now on. Here or PM. Thank you so much for your help. Goodnight

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I've read the bonding info forwarded to me and watched some videos on you tube just to give me an idea what to look out for. I ended up ringing a very helpful lay at a rescue centre and she advised that due to her bullying him we should keep them separate but to continually swap them over (hutch to cage for the night) and let them see each other frequently although through the bars until they are more comfortable together. Then to try rebonding them. We've been doing this since my last post on here and Luna is still not too impressed to see him and tries to bite him through the bars, regardless of which side she is of them. He likes to try smelling her but then quickly jumps away as she tries or manages to get him. She's exactly the same if the others go near the cage if it's her turn to come in too. So I don't think it's just him she dislikes! However Onyx and the others don't mind each other if they come into contact through the bars.
    The lady at the centre asked for some pics of our set up and advised to give them some more space to live in. So we are leaning and measuring to build a structure in the garden for them all, that's split for the 2 pairs (if rebonding is successful).
    Has anyone else had any such experience with this sort of thing? How did it work out?
    Regards
    Louise

Quote Originally Posted by Louise H View Post
    I've read the bonding info forwarded to me and watched some videos on you tube just to give me an idea what to look out for. I ended up ringing a very helpful lay at a rescue centre and she advised that due to her bullying him we should keep them separate but to continually swap them over (hutch to cage for the night) and let them see each other frequently although through the bars until they are more comfortable together. Then to try rebonding them. We've been doing this since my last post on here and Luna is still not too impressed to see him and tries to bite him through the bars, regardless of which side she is of them. He likes to try smelling her but then quickly jumps away as she tries or manages to get him. She's exactly the same if the others go near the cage if it's her turn to come in too. So I don't think it's just him she dislikes! However Onyx and the others don't mind each other if they come into contact through the bars.
    The lady at the centre asked for some pics of our set up and advised to give them some more space to live in. So we are leaning and measuring to build a structure in the garden for them all, that's split for the 2 pairs (if rebonding is successful).
    Has anyone else had any such experience with this sort of thing? How did it work out?
    Regards
    Louise

Hi Louise

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma. I never do the 'swap' type of bonding, or the date one either. I put the rabbits together and observe them. I've now bonded hundreds of pairs and several groups and not had a failure, but perhaps I am just lucky?

Can the Rescue take them both on for you and bond them? Less stressful for you x

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Hi Louise

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma. I never do the 'swap' type of bonding, or the date one either. I put the rabbits together and observe them. I've now bonded hundreds of pairs and several groups and not had a failure, but perhaps I am just lucky?

Can the Rescue take them both on for you and bond them? Less stressful for you x
    She said that they could but that when they get back to home territory they may start to fight again. She said it's goods that he isn't fighting back as it could get nasty but just means he is getting picked on. The young male is mounting his partner quite a bit too so probably spring fever and it's their first spring. Mum and dad don't seemed bothered at all. I'm wondering about waiting to rebond until after spring!Would this help? I'm outgoing it off as if it's due to lack of space I want them to have the space before rebonding so this isn't the cause again. What do you use to separate them if a fight does ensue? Once you put them together do they them stay together? I realise some nipping etc has to take place and I shouldn't unnecessarily interfere, unless it isheading for a fight. Anything you find helpful other than neutral territory, no litter trays or food bowls or toys but hay and greens.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise H View Post
    She said that they could but that when they get back to home territory they may start to fight again. She said it's goods that he isn't fighting back as it could get nasty but just means he is getting picked on. The young male is mounting his partner quite a bit too so probably spring fever and it's their first spring. Mum and dad don't seemed bothered at all. I'm wondering about waiting to rebond until after spring!Would this help? I'm outgoing it off as if it's due to lack of space I want them to have the space before rebonding so this isn't the cause again. What do you use to separate them if a fight does ensue? Once you put them together do they them stay together? I realise some nipping etc has to take place and I shouldn't unnecessarily interfere, unless it isheading for a fight. Anything you find helpful other than neutral territory, no litter trays or food bowls or toys but hay and greens.

Any chance your near West Yorkshire!? I trust you! You've been so helpful over the last year off my journey as a new rabbit mum!!