• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post op care

zarathustra

Warren Scout
The boys are going in to have their bits off tomorrow morning.

And while I will make sure I ask lots of questions at the vets about post op care, I thought I would ask in here to see if anyone has any advice.

They are normally outdoor bunnies, but we have already decided that we will bring them inside for at least the first couple of days, though I think having them inside for longer might be better (I’m working on bringing the other half round, she’s a paramedic so I’m working the infection control angle).

We have an in door cage, which in all honesty is too small for them to live in, but we bought so we can bring them in over bonfire night and New Years etc, so it was never intended to be a long term or permanent thing.

I will also be getting something to protect the floor so we can leave the cage open, to allow them to get out and about (if the feel up to it) and will also make it easier to keep things clean.

Does anyone have any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The boys are going in to have their bits off tomorrow morning.

And while I will make sure I ask lots of questions at the vets about post op care, I thought I would ask in here to see if anyone has any advice.

They are normally outdoor bunnies, but we have already decided that we will bring them inside for at least the first couple of days, though I think having them inside for longer might be better (I’m working on bringing the other half round, she’s a paramedic so I’m working the infection control angle).

We have an in door cage, which in all honesty is too small for them to live in, but we bought so we can bring them in over bonfire night and New Years etc, so it was never intended to be a long term or permanent thing.

I will also be getting something to protect the floor so we can leave the cage open, to allow them to get out and about (if the feel up to it) and will also make it easier to keep things clean.

Does anyone have any advice?

It sounds like you're doing everything right - especially talking the other half round ;)

Ask your vet about pain relief afterwards, and obviously keep a check that nothing is swollen underneath. Most important.

Keeping them together, and watching the temperature is vital. If they are in for a couple of nights or so, in this freezing temperature it's not going to be easy to get them outdoors before the Spring.

And good luck for tomorrow boys :wave:

I have brought outdoor rabbits inside for the first night or 2 after a neuter op - I had them in my bedroom with the heating off and the window slightly open. It depends on the rabbit, some are stressed to be brought indoors when it’s not their normal environment. The first 24 hours they are still quite sleepy and don’t move around a lot (my last 2 neuters have been female though so a bigger op for them than boys).

Have plenty tasty herbs, veg & treats to tempt them to start eating, and make sure you are given pain relief as well as gut meds when you collect them after the op. Hope all goes well for your boys :)

It sounds like you're doing everything right - especially talking the other half round ;)

Ask your vet about pain relief afterwards, and obviously keep a check that nothing is swollen underneath. Most important.

Keeping them together, and watching the temperature is vital. If they are in for a couple of nights or so, in this freezing temperature it's not going to be easy to get them outdoors before the Spring.

And good luck for tomorrow boys :wave:

Thanks, getting them back outside is the real problem I guess.

Their hutch has a thermal cover and even with the snow and stuff we’ve had recently it’s not been “that” cold in there, no ice forming on the inside of the covers etc.

But I know a sudden temperature change won’t do them any good, but it would be more difficult to make sure things stay as clean as possible while they’re out side. But I’m sure we can work it out.

Poor boys don’t know what they’re in for tomorrow. My Mrs got a bit upset about it last night, that the boys would be sore, tired and not understand what is going on.

Of course, we could just end up with indoor bunnies, they do seem to be much more relaxed when we had them inside over night on bonfire night etc.

I have brought outdoor rabbits inside for the first night or 2 after a neuter op - I had them in my bedroom with the heating off and the window slightly open. It depends on the rabbit, some are stressed to be brought indoors when it’s not their normal environment. The first 24 hours they are still quite sleepy and don’t move around a lot (my last 2 neuters have been female though so a bigger op for them than boys).

Have plenty tasty herbs, veg & treats to tempt them to start eating, and make sure you are given pain relief as well as gut meds when you collect them after the op. Hope all goes well for your boys :)

Thanks, judging by the fact they both try to climb into the food bowl before you’ve even put it down I’d hope it won’t take much to tempt them to eat, but I know operations can cause issues.

And I will definitely remember to get pain med and stuff for their chubby little bellies.

Hopefully after their hormones have calm d down they’ll stop trying to stick their heads u p each other’s bums.

??

My rabbit savvy vet doesn't give gut meds after spays, let alone neuters!

Well, the boys have had a stay of execution. Apparently the vets don’t do operations at the weekend, shame they didn’t tell me this when I booked them in for their ops and 2nd vaccinations 4 weeks ago.

I want to get them done as soon as possible, but there are only 2 days left (at the moment) in Feb and if it’s a day my other half is working then I’ll need to see if I can book a day off work.

The problem is if they do start fighting we have nowhere to separate them, and as they’re outdoor bunnies we might not even know until we get home if it’s a day when we’re both at work

So the boys went in this morning for their op. Had a call from the vets earlier, everything has gone ok but they’re coming round slowly so they will call back to let us know when we can pick them up.

Maybe this was a good week for it, we were going to bring them inside for a couple of night after the op anyway, but with the weather this cold it’s probably best that they don’t stay outside.

The disinfectant wipes we used to clean their indoor cage have frozen

So the boys went in this morning for their op. Had a call from the vets earlier, everything has gone ok but they’re coming round slowly so they will call back to let us know when we can pick them up.

Maybe this was a good week for it, we were going to bring them inside for a couple of night after the op anyway, but with the weather this cold it’s probably best that they don’t stay outside.

I am glad that they have come through their ops. I agree that it will be essential for them to remain indoors for at least a couple of nights. Hopefully they will be ready to come home in a few more hours :)

I'm glad all has gone well for the boys.

The weather is so very cold, it's best to wait a while before they go out again :)

Thanks, we’re picking them up at around 17:00.

Their water bottle froze today, that’s the first time it’s ever frozen and they have a thermal cover on their cage.

Our plan is to turn the heating off in the house, or at least turn it right down so they don’t have a shock when they go back outside.

The boys seem ok, just chilling out.

They’ve had a drink and have looked interested in the hay.

They’ll get some nuggets in a bit.

267920c054b95108124701c56f470038.jpg

The vet did warn us that they might be a bit ambivalent towards each other after being separated for 8+ hours.

But the seem to be getting on.

60c3b2feef8a33e28d9b8c982ac9e52e.jpg

They are nibbling in bits of hay, although their nuggets have been ignored so far, they’re drinking a bit and there are a couple of good poos in there.

Sorry for all the posts

The vet did warn us that they might be a bit ambivalent towards each other after being separated for 8+ hours.

But the seem to be getting on.

60c3b2feef8a33e28d9b8c982ac9e52e.jpg

They are nibbling in bits of hay, although their nuggets have been ignored so far, they’re drinking a bit and there are a couple of good poos in there.

Sorry for all the posts

It's lovely to see your boys :love:

They look like they are getting on really well.
Perhaps tempt them with some greens, grass or fresh herbs at some stage?

I'm pleased that their ops went well and that they are home and recovering inside. It's lovely to see some pics of your boys :love:

Thanks all, I think the boys have come down after their anaesthetic and have the munchies. They’re slowly picking through a bowl of nuggets and munching on some tasty hay, washed down with some fresh water.

I’ve also had a couple of licks from spencer and a couple of nudges from Frank.

They need to back on Thursday to have a check up, but if that all goes ok then they don’t need to go back to the vets till their next set of jabs

Thanks all, I think the boys have come down after their anaesthetic and have the munchies. They’re slowly picking through a bowl of nuggets and munching on some tasty hay, washed down with some fresh water.

I’ve also had a couple of licks from spencer and a couple of nudges from Frank.

They need to back on Thursday to have a check up, but if that all goes ok then they don’t need to go back to the vets till their next set of jabs

I like having rabbits indoors :love:

Back