• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

The dental that wasn't

Fellie

Warren Veteran
Lenny went in on Tuesday for a dental - turns out he didn't actually need one as the spurs were so small.

The history of this was:

Wednesday last week he wasn't interesting in his morning pellets, reluctantly ate a fenugreek but happily chomped on hay. He ran towards the pellets keenly enough but didn't eat any. I got him some fresh herbs a bit later and he chomped them and then ate pellets and was back to normal after that.

Friday last week - same thing happened. Not interested in pellets but would eat fresh herbs and hay.

So I took him into vets and nothing untoward was found but suspect spurs on teeth. Again, he was eating pellets by this time.

What they did find on Tuesday was a very large ball of poop attached to his bottom - something I've missed as to be honest - I've neglected the bottom checks recently :oops: - yes, I felt like a very bad bunny mum and terribly guilty.

So they've suggested I cut back on this pellets to get him to lose some weight so he can clean himself properly BUT he's not over weight - I can feel his ribs and hip bones without trying and I'd say he's slightly under weight myself.
He's not good a eating his cecals I do know that and in the past I've cut his food way back and he lost so much weight but still didn't eat his cecals - and now they getting stuck to him.

I'm not sure what to do - I don't want him losing weight - it didn't work before anyway. He's not a rabbit that I can handle either for bum washes...but with summer round the corner I need to get this under control (fly strike etc) and I can't have him collecting balls of poop on his bottom either.

At a bit of a loss really. The vets are now doing 'vet nurse' appointments so I can take him along there regularly to do bum checks but he needs to clean himself too. Is he just perhaps lazy lad? any suggestions?

Lenny went in on Tuesday for a dental - turns out he didn't actually need one as the spurs were so small.

The history of this was:

Wednesday last week he wasn't interesting in his morning pellets, reluctantly ate a fenugreek but happily chomped on hay. He ran towards the pellets keenly enough but didn't eat any. I got him some fresh herbs a bit later and he chomped them and then ate pellets and was back to normal after that.

Friday last week - same thing happened. Not interested in pellets but would eat fresh herbs and hay.

So I took him into vets and nothing untoward was found but suspect spurs on teeth. Again, he was eating pellets by this time.

What they did find on Tuesday was a very large ball of poop attached to his bottom - something I've missed as to be honest - I've neglected the bottom checks recently :oops: - yes, I felt like a very bad bunny mum and terribly guilty.

So they've suggested I cut back on this pellets to get him to lose some weight so he can clean himself properly BUT he's not over weight - I can feel his ribs and hip bones without trying and I'd say he's slightly under weight myself.
He's not good a eating his cecals I do know that and in the past I've cut his food way back and he lost so much weight but still didn't eat his cecals - and now they getting stuck to him.

I'm not sure what to do - I don't want him losing weight - it didn't work before anyway. He's not a rabbit that I can handle either for bum washes...but with summer round the corner I need to get this under control (fly strike etc) and I can't have him collecting balls of poop on his bottom either.

At a bit of a loss really. The vets are now doing 'vet nurse' appointments so I can take him along there regularly to do bum checks but he needs to clean himself too. Is he just perhaps lazy lad? any suggestions?

I am assuming that spinal pain has been ruled out ? Rabbits with a sore back, eg due to arthritis, can struggle to eat their cecotrophs.

What pellets do you feed him ? Excel are known to cause mucky bums in some Rabbits.

Having the fur around his rear end shaved would help to make keeping him clean a bit easier.

Does he live with other Rabbits and if so what is his rank in the hierarchy ?

He wasn't checked for spinal pain. ..I will mention it this continues and will get him shaved a bit when I book his nurse appointment.

He's on Science Select...a few fresh herbs and hay...that's it.

He lives with Cheyenne and he is boss bun....but she gets more food than him I think...I scatter feed and he's a bit dense at finding the pellets whilst Cheyenne hoovers them up quickly.

They get about 3 tablespoons pellets between them morning and night.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

He wasn't checked for spinal pain. ..I will mention it this continues and will get him shaved a bit when I book his nurse appointment.

He lives with Cheyenne and he is boss bun....but she gets more food than him I think...I scatter feed and he's a bit dense at finding the pellets whilst Cheyenne hoovers them up quickly.

So when you cut out all pellets he still did not eat his cecotrophs ? Is it something that has always been an issue with him ?

Sort of...I was feeding way too much about 3 years ago...and all the buns got fat and stopped eating cecals.
So I cut back and got them onto a decent diet slowly and all been good apart from Lenny.
He goes through stages of it though...some times he's good and then a few weeks of not so good. He still eats some but leaves some too so it's not constant.
I've mentioned it too vets several times but they've not been concerned.

Is that 3 tbls morning and 3 evening? I expect you mean 3 split between am and pm which would be about right.

Ummm...about 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. Too much???

Problem is that these two buns are quite skinny ones anyway...they just feel boney to be and I'm trying to get a bit of weight on them.

Even my arthritis buns eat their cecals, but it's worth checking - how old is Lenny?

Sometimes it's not how much you feed them but WHAT you feed them that makes the difference. I had this constantly with one of mine until I changed him onto a higher fibre pellet. The problem cleared up overnight.

You could consider something like this maybe?

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-food...care-plus-digestive-health-formula-1kg-p-5639

Even my arthritis buns eat their cecals, but it's worth checking - how old is Lenny?

Sometimes it's not how much you feed them but WHAT you feed them that makes the difference. I had this constantly with one of mine until I changed him onto a higher fibre pellet. The problem cleared up overnight.

You could consider something like this maybe?

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-food...care-plus-digestive-health-formula-1kg-p-5639
Oooo. ..I have seen that. Worth while giving it a try. ..thank you!

Back