• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny with sticky eye - worried about cannula of tear duct and anaesthetic

Squishies

Warren Scout
Hi all,

One of my mini-lops has a slightly sticky eye, that hasn't cleared up with antibiotic drops. He seems fine in himself, and it's barely noticeable, but I'd like to play it safe, and so the vet has suggested flushing the tear duct/cannularising it.
...while he's under sedation, they will do a proper dental check too, just in case we've missed something there.

Has anyone had any experience of this/does it make sense to do this?

And secondly, should I ask if his sister (they are bonded) should go in with him?

...finally, as they are outdoor buns, I am quite worried about putting him back outside after a sedation, given the effect of anaesthetic on a bunny's temperature control and this very cold weather -- should I have them both inside with me for the night?

Any thoughts/experience/advice greatly received!

Mx

Hi all,

One of my mini-lops has a slightly sticky eye, that hasn't cleared up with antibiotic drops. He seems fine in himself, and it's barely noticeable, but I'd like to play it safe, and so the vet has suggested flushing the tear duct/cannularising it.
...while he's under sedation, they will do a proper dental check too, just in case we've missed something there.

And secondly, should I ask if his sister (they are bonded) should go in with him?

...finally, as they are outdoor buns, I am quite worried about putting him back outside after a sedation, given the effect of anaesthetic on a bunny's temperature control and this very cold weather -- should I have them both inside with me for the night?

Mx

Yes to all your Qs I have highlighted :) Cannulation of the nasolacrimal duct is a delicate procedure and whilst it can be done without sedation many Vets prefer to do a full Dental examination ( including radiographs) at the same time. Also, the nasolacrimal duct is extremely delicate and can easily rupture if the Rabbit were to make any sudden movements whilst the procedure is being carried out.

I'd also request skull radiographs as 'runny eyes' can be caused by tooth root elongation. Elongated tooth roots can only be diagnosed via skull radiographs. The problem is more frequently seen in brachycephalic Rabbits eg in Mini Lops and Netherland Dwarfs

Some additional information here :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...iquesRabbit/Nasolacrimal_duct_cannulation.htm

tB8kdlE.jpg

GHk9ZtV.jpg

Hope all goes well for your Bunny :)

I have had a couple of rabbits that had their tear ducts flushed. Checking the teeth and getting x-rays at the same time is very sensible. Tooth roots can press on the tear duct. Having it all checked properly under sedation gives you a much better picture of what's going on, then you can get the correct treatment.

One of my rabbits had a deformed tear duct so we just had to accept a slightly runny eye and use antibiotic drops if there was any infection. Her bunny companion was very good at keeping the eye clean, though - much better than I could have done. She was a tiny bunny with quite a short, round face (Nethie x lionhead?).

I've never left a companion rabbit with the one going in for sedation, although others on here do regularly. It depends on whether they travel well, the bond they have, your vet, etc.

After sedation, it is better to be able to keep an eye on your rabbit to make sure they are eating / pooing normally. The one undergoing sedation may not be able to regulate their temperature properly at first. Keeping them inside in a cold room (if they are used to being outside) will make this easier to manage. Give them access to a warm spot (eg snugglesafe heatpad) so they have the option to use it if they need it.

Hi all,

Mx

Hi there :wave:

I'm sure you and I have discussed this before? It certainly makes sense to flush the tear duct. However, as it's something that can need repeating, I wouldn't advocate sedation. I have had many rabbits have their tear duct flushed and none have had sedation.

As with dental - I prefer a vet to be able to 'look' into the mouth whilst a rabbit is conscious. I know anaesthetics have improved, but they can still debilitate a rabbit :)

This is all dependent on finding a vet who is happy and comfortable doing these procedures whilst a rabbit is conscious.

Good luck whatever you decide and speak soon :D

Thanks all, for your wonderful thoughts and support as ever! It really is appreciated, I was feeling especially clueless on this one.

They said they needed to give him general anaesthetic in the end, so I asked that his teeth were fully checked and x-rayed (thank you for the tip on this! makes sense to do all at the same time under one GA!) -- all good tooth-wise and root-wise.

The tear duct had some white 'gunk' in it that they flushed through (presumably sign of an infection?), and I now have to pump him full of antibiotics for a few days (baytril), plus drops of antibiotic (exocin) into the eye 3 times a day.
...unfortunately, I am in for some 'fun and games' with this schedule, as, of all the bunnies, Einstein lives up to his name, and is a master of evading capture!! :roll: so catching him 3 times a day is going to be interesting...

In the meantime, I currently have both squishy mini-lops in the bath lined with newspaper and hay (obviously without bath water!!). I decided I couldn't risk having him out post-GA in this weather, no matter how fluffy he is. They are fairly unimpressed at the distinct lack of space, but he is eating at least, so I am relieved to not have to do the syringe feeding as I have had in the past, with the girls, post-spays.

Thanks again, I will keep you all posted x x

Back