• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thoughts/Help

supersonic

Mama Doe
Just as I thought I'd got to grips with Sonic, here I am again, flummoxed :roll: This could be long, so please read the whole thing... if you make it...

Today I noticed Sonic wasn't eating much hay, but had finished his pellets from last night. I offered him his two favourite things - a grape, and a twig from the apple tree, and he demolished them both. Later I took out some carrot, and he spent ages sniffing it, nibbled a bit and left the rest.

I got him out to free range, and he was pretty normal, but a bit on edge. Ears constantly radaring around the garden, and there was a fox poo on the grass (I've mentioned before how they are common here). He did have a good go at trying to hump my leg though... Now, a few months ago, he had a really funny 'do'. Was lethargic, didn't eat, and looked like he was gonna die, but the next day he was back to normal (which is why I didn't take him to the vets tonight, as he can be like this).

He's also still doing pretty decent poops, which is usually the biggest give away for him.

I've given him a load of different food with his pellets, as I just want him to eat whatever for the time being. Typically, when I was out with him, he started munching on hay :roll: He's eaten some treat style muesli mix, and demolished some more apple tree as well, just shows zero interest in his pellets.

So, here's the deal. I will ring the vets in the morning. Here's my question - I have a feeling that this is the beginning of a dental thing, but is there anyway of being sure? Obviously, he's nearly 9 and I don't want to put him through a needless GA. Last time he drooled, which made me sure it was a dental thing.
Do I go for it? Nip it in the bud before it *might* turn into something?

There is still a chance that he will be normal in the morning, so obviously I will make the decision tomorrow. I just don't really know the best thing to do from here? Please help :lol:

Just as I thought I'd got to grips with Sonic, here I am again, flummoxed :roll: This could be long, so please read the whole thing... if you make it...

Today I noticed Sonic wasn't eating much hay, but had finished his pellets from last night. I offered him his two favourite things - a grape, and a twig from the apple tree, and he demolished them both. Later I took out some carrot, and he spent ages sniffing it, nibbled a bit and left the rest.

I got him out to free range, and he was pretty normal, but a bit on edge. Ears constantly radaring around the garden, and there was a fox poo on the grass (I've mentioned before how they are common here). He did have a good go at trying to hump my leg though... Now, a few months ago, he had a really funny 'do'. Was lethargic, didn't eat, and looked like he was gonna die, but the next day he was back to normal (which is why I didn't take him to the vets tonight, as he can be like this).

He's also still doing pretty decent poops, which is usually the biggest give away for him.

I've given him a load of different food with his pellets, as I just want him to eat whatever for the time being. Typically, when I was out with him, he started munching on hay :roll: He's eaten some treat style muesli mix, and demolished some more apple tree as well, just shows zero interest in his pellets.

So, here's the deal. I will ring the vets in the morning. Here's my question - I have a feeling that this is the beginning of a dental thing, but is there anyway of being sure? Obviously, he's nearly 9 and I don't want to put him through a needless GA. Last time he drooled, which made me sure it was a dental thing.
Do I go for it? Nip it in the bud before it *might* turn into something?

There is still a chance that he will be normal in the morning, so obviously I will make the decision tomorrow. I just don't really know the best thing to do from here? Please help :lol:

Sorry I missed this last night. I would get the Vet to check Sonic's teeth, it is not possible to get a 100% view of the oral cavity of a conscious Rabbit, but more often than not a Rabbit Savvy Vet will be able to see enough to assess whether a full GA/Dental is needed. Older Rabbits can begin to have some Dental problems and as Sonic has previously needed a Dental it adds to the weight of evidence, so to speak.

Monitoring his poo output and weighing him on a regular basis is another useful way to monitor any potential Dental problems.

Good luck and vibes for Sonic x

Sending lots of vibes for Sonic. It's difficult when the issue isn't clear cut.

I would get him checked out anyway. If he needs a dental, he is better off having it while he is still eating reasonably well and hasn't lost weight. As Jane says, monitor output daily and weigh weekly - then you know if he is eating enough or not.

Right then... thank you for all your advice and well wishes! However, I'm going to ignore them :lol:

I've watched him for an hour this morning, and he's devouring hay like there's no tomorrow. I took him out a small handful of pellets and he barely stopped for breathe, whereas yesterday he just nudged my hand away. There's a mountain of poops. Not the best colour, but I know he didn't eat much hay yesterday, so it's to be expected.

I have 2 theories, the first one being something spooked him in the garden. Like I said, we get foxes often, and we have a bush full of noisy starlings at the back of the garden. We know there is also a sparrowhawk around, which won't bother Sonic, but the stress of it taking down a smaller bird might. He was on edge yesterday, and he's pretty chilled out this morning.

My second, and most probably theory is that he's jealous. Jake (guinea) has had to have eye drops twice a day, due to hay poke, and I don't think Sonic likes him getting that attention. Our guinea pigs don't like cuddles or much human time at all, so usually Sonic gets all this when the pigs are out in the run. We all thought Sonic was poorly yesterday, so he got some special attention, which could quite possibly have solved the issue :roll:

Anyway, thank you so much. I will keep an extra close eye on him in the next few days and will obviously take him to the vet if he starts to deteriorate. Fingers crossed he just staged a hunger strike...

If you have a Sparrowhawk around, Sonic might not be able to detect its presence, but he will hear and probably (if my rabbits are anything to go by) understand the smaller birds' alarm calls. This might have upset him. I have known my rabbits run for the cover of the shed when the birds give alarm calls.

If you have a Sparrowhawk around, Sonic might not be able to detect its presence, but he will hear and probably (if my rabbits are anything to go by) understand the smaller birds' alarm calls. This might have upset him. I have known my rabbits run for the cover of the shed when the birds give alarm calls.

Yeah, I feel like this is very possible. All the birds were being extra noisy yesterday as well, so I think something was wrong around the garden. I guess I will never find out for certain. Sonic's still munching away... drama must have dissipated!

Right then... thank you for all your advice and well wishes! However, I'm going to ignore them :lol:

I've watched him for an hour this morning, and he's devouring hay like there's no tomorrow. I took him out a small handful of pellets and he barely stopped for breathe, whereas yesterday he just nudged my hand away. There's a mountain of poops. Not the best colour, but I know he didn't eat much hay yesterday, so it's to be expected.

I have 2 theories, the first one being something spooked him in the garden. Like I said, we get foxes often, and we have a bush full of noisy starlings at the back of the garden. We know there is also a sparrowhawk around, which won't bother Sonic, but the stress of it taking down a smaller bird might. He was on edge yesterday, and he's pretty chilled out this morning.

My second, and most probably theory is that he's jealous. Jake (guinea) has had to have eye drops twice a day, due to hay poke, and I don't think Sonic likes him getting that attention. Our guinea pigs don't like cuddles or much human time at all, so usually Sonic gets all this when the pigs are out in the run. We all thought Sonic was poorly yesterday, so he got some special attention, which could quite possibly have solved the issue :roll:

Anyway, thank you so much. I will keep an extra close eye on him in the next few days and will obviously take him to the vet if he starts to deteriorate. Fingers crossed he just staged a hunger strike...

Haha, only just noticed your post of yesterday ... and I like the way you talk :lol:

From what you say, spooking *does* seem like a possibility.
Also, the jealousy theory .. You may have hit the nail on the head :thumb:

Haha, only just noticed your post of yesterday ... and I like the way you talk :lol:

From what you say, spooking *does* seem like a possibility.
Also, the jealousy theory .. You may have hit the nail on the head :thumb:

Haha, it's so hard when he doesn't really have a 'normal'! He's very smart, and very sassy, so you really have to take that into account.

I keep 'treating' him with apple tree twigs, and he's eating them like they're blades of grass. He loves them so much, we're lucky to have a rather overgrown apple tree next to his hutch. They're good for his teeth and guts, they keep him occupied and we know they're organic!

Haha, it's so hard when he doesn't really have a 'normal'! He's very smart, and very sassy, so you really have to take that into account.

I keep 'treating' him with apple tree twigs, and he's eating them like they're blades of grass. He loves them so much, we're lucky to have a rather overgrown apple tree next to his hutch. They're good for his teeth and guts, they keep him occupied and we know they're organic!

How's things now?

Back