• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boo's dental thread

Another little story about injecting bunnies, I laugh about it now.

To set the scene

Noodley had been to see FHB & put on penicillin injections. All ok as OH had injected her before & was happy to do it. I hated injecting Noodle as I always seemed to shoot it right through her skin.

It was July 2012 & roasting hot. For the 1st time before & since OH had to work away. We had just moved in to the village in to a tiny renovated cottage that had huge glass doors front & back . The front entrance had a walled off courtyard thing so only our direct neighbour could see in to our house as they were approaching their own front door. I worked in an Alcohol & Drug Service at the time & had a horrible day, learning one of my favourite clients had fatally overdosed. So I already looked deranged with swollen eyes. Got home & changed in to short cotton PJS. Sat on floor with Noodle between my legs & messed up her injection & got it all over her fur. I was already prepared with a huge bowl of water & sponge so dowsed her with that. By then I was crying my eyes out, had syringe hanging out of my mouth, pyjamas so wet down my thighs that it looked liked I'd wet myself...staggered towards kitchen for fresh water or towels (I forget) only to see my neighbour coming home. She must have seen me & I can only imagine what she thought :lol:

Oh dear, poor you. When I was nursing we practiced on an orange with tap water just to get used to where all the fingers and thumbs went.

I could do that - I have limes.

I think I'll get better at recognising signs, retrospectively I think Boo spent a little more time alone pre op. Its hard to say sometimes as one minute I'd worry about it, next minute
I'd return to the lounge to find all 3 flopped out in each others arms. They are super loved up at the moment

If you can inject using a smaller gauge needle (blue top) rather than a green top one it makes a smaller hole. Thus less chance of leakage. Might be worth considering if Boo needs to remain on Depocillin after her next Vet check up. Some people say they can never get Depocillin through a blue top needle but personally I have not encountered that problem xx

Thanks JJ & everyone else for your support.

Well the big to do before hand was as traumatic as usual but with the actual injection was a success - no leaking today

Thanks JJ & everyone else for your support.

Well the big to do before hand was as traumatic as usual but with the actual injection was a success - no leaking today

Well done!

Are you using Depocillin? I find that the most 'runny' of the penicillins to use, and therefore the easier to inject.

Also, I use a blue needle (always) to inject, and it's still very possible to have the leakage ... It's a matter of practice and more. Well hundreds and I still can't be sure I'll do it right :lol:

Well done!

Are you using Depocillin? I find that the most 'runny' of the penicillins to use, and therefore the easier to inject.

Also, I use a blue needle (always) to inject, and it's still very possible to have the leakage ... It's a matter of practice and more. Well hundreds and I still can't be sure I'll do it right :lol:

She's on norocillin
Its good (for my confidence / ego /esteem) that even seasoned bunny injectors aren't always 100% sure of themselves.

It'd be a lot easier if Boo didn't bob her head about quite so much.

I'm pleased that you experienced no leaking today :D I also appear to do it the same each time and yet sometimes it just doesn't go perfectly. The more successes you have the more confident you will get.

She's on norocillin
Its good (for my confidence / ego /esteem) that even seasoned bunny injectors aren't always 100% sure of themselves.

It'd be a lot easier if Boo didn't bob her head about quite so much.

Yes I am injecting a head bobber at the moment - tiresome isn't it? :roll:

As if our job weren't hard enough!

I hope so Omi - I'm ready to re-embrace the challenge tomorrow

Yes I am injecting a head bobber at the moment - tiresome isn't it? :roll:

As if our job weren't hard enough!

Very frustrating - I was tempted to burrito her head :oops::lol:

Ha! I would have to see a photo of that :D

Here's a nice photo for you instead. You have to imagine this bit but Joey was kissing flopped out Mouse while Boo cleaned Joey. Poor photo quality unfortunately

8iNSdyfl.jpg

Glad it went well:thumb: I’ve never had to inject a rabbit, only a dog, that was ok, and the goats, the sound of one of the goats was awful :cry: thankfully this lot don’t even flinch head in a bucket of food, although trying to tent a goats tight skin is tricky!

Glad it went well:thumb: I’ve never had to inject a rabbit, only a dog, that was ok, and the goats, the sound of one of the goats was awful :cry: thankfully this lot don’t even flinch head in a bucket of food, although trying to tent a goats tight skin is tricky!

that sounds traumatic :( I'm glad head bobbing Boo Boo is very tolerant, though she does get bored as I can't faff & fuss her at the same time.

She seems good anyway. My vet thought it more likely the infection in her tooth cavity was causing the pain over the ulcer though impossible to know. I wonder how long she will stay on penicillin & metacam - I wonder also if my vet will get to see anything during consult - I'm seriously hoping so. Will someone tell Boo to keep on being strange in character but stop being strange medically.

Back