• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boo's dental thread

Thanks. I had to instruct Joey to give her welcome home kisses. So I didn't ask vet this but will tomorrow, when she said there was pus in the cavity does she mean she had / has an abscess? Is rabbit pus ever "loose" is it? Can't wait to clarify but your wisdom in the meantime would be much appreciated

It may not be an abscess as such. I am assuming that there is no root remaining where the lost tooth was ?

Thank You both. I'm not sure about roots Jane, there were fairly deep cavities but vet just looked for infection (none back then )& measured them ASFAIK. Would these be seen on xray? My vet talked more of trapped food in the cavity. If its infection from another source within her head thats more of a worry. Should have gone for xray! I will next time which was the plan anway. Debntal buns are expensive.

She has staggered to the cuddle zone under the tele table, had a thorough face wash from Joe, a cuddle with Mouse. Wolfed some pear down but Joey stole last bit - what a meanie

Thanks. I had to instruct Joey to give her welcome home kisses. So I didn't ask vet this but will tomorrow, when she said there was pus in the cavity does she mean she had / has an abscess? Is rabbit pus ever "loose" is it? Can't wait to clarify but your wisdom in the meantime would be much appreciated

Yes definitely. It can occur and recur because of infection deep within the socket. If all of the tooth hasn't come out (and even if it has) then pus can be formed and can keep on producing. It's not an abscess as such.

I don't think I expressed that very well, but you may remember a rabbit I talked of having a similar thing?

Yes definitely. It can occur and recur because of infection deep within the socket. If all of the tooth hasn't come out (and even if it has) then pus can be formed and can keep on producing. It's not an abscess as such.

I don't think I expressed that very well, but you may remember a rabbit I talked of having a similar thing?

I think so:love:. That explained it really well, thank you

Sending vibes for Boo today. I hope she had a good night and that you have a productive chat with the vet today.

Thanks all. She began to eat a little hay late last night. She is on much better form today, the poo presents left overnight look much better too, I'm waiting for a fresh one to drop for a proper evaluation :lol:

Thanks all. She began to eat a little hay late last night. She is on much better form today, the poo presents left overnight look much better too, I'm waiting for a fresh one to drop for a proper evaluation :lol:

Loads of healing vibes for the poor wee Boo monster :love:

I'm not liking the size of her penicillin bottle :shock: its massive. I hate injectin bunnies so much but must see this as an opportunityto get my confidence up

It's cheap stuff though isn't it :) Did the vet say how long she wanted Boo to have it? I always feel very nervous with the first injection of a course, but I find it does get a bit easier over time. Yes, it is a good opportunity to get your confidence up, but Boo might not agree. Is she OK with injections? I've always found that my rabbits have made far more of a fuss with oral meds.

Sending hugs. It really isn't nice to have to medicate any rabbit with anything :(

I've no idea how long but she is back for a check up on monday. I've never injected her before but I've never seen a bunny fuss having an injection - there's me to do that. May get OH to do it

I've no idea how long but she is back for a check up on monday. I've never injected her before but I've never seen a bunny fuss having an injection - there's me to do that. May get OH to do it

Do you have to inject every day?

My rabbit was on them every day for years :roll:

Back