• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boo's dental thread

I'm no good at this. I've booked my darling little Boo Boo in for a dental on Monday - can't really say I'm seeing signs, more of a hunch . We'll see

I hope you're correct :) So difficult to know ... I sometimes think 'dental' when it's not that at all!

As time goes by you'll gain more confidence in your 'hunches'. I know it can be very hard for you to imagine that though. I hope that Boo's Dental will go well and that she wont be too put out by missing out on eating time whilst she's under GA !!

thanks JJ. I'm hoping so. I think Boo probably appreciates the bowl of nuggets she gets at the vet, she always goes under with a doubly fat belly

I hope you're correct :) So difficult to know ... I sometimes think 'dental' when it's not that at all!

I hope I'm right too, a needless GA isn't something I relish but I'm sure the pesky tooth will benefit from a burr. It had grown significantly enough within 7 weeks last time

Lots of vibes for Boo's dental on Monday. I definitely think you're right to trust your gut instinct to get her teeth looked at. Given how well our little bunny friends like to hide issues from us, sometimes that sixth sense that something isn't quite right is the only weapon we have!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of vibes for Boo's dental on Monday. I definitely think you're right to trust your gut instinct to get her teeth looked at. Given how well our little bunny friends like to hide issues from us, sometimes that sixth sense that something isn't quite right is the only weapon we have!

Thanks for the reassurance Scrappy. On her 2nd dental the vet thought the offending tooth seemed a tad loose but told me not to get excited. Unless that one has fallen out (please, please) it must need doing soon-ish. Its mad how some bunnies give off dental signs so easily & others just carry on regardless as if nothing was wrong

Poor Boo and poor you :love: I know it can't be easy to agree to a GA for a rabbit with only minimal evidence.

I would actually make the same decision as you. I think you have a win-win situation here in a sense as whatever is found is more data in the puzzle. If the tooth needs burring then that certainly needs doing, but if it doesn't really then that is also valuable information in respect of timescales. And if the tooth is found to be definitely loose then that's just icing on the cake really.

Sending hugs. I'll guess you'll have a worrying weekend.

Poor Boo and poor you :love: I know it can't be easy to agree to a GA for a rabbit with only minimal evidence.

I would actually make the same decision as you. I think you have a win-win situation here in a sense as whatever is found is more data in the puzzle. If the tooth needs burring then that certainly needs doing, but if it doesn't really then that is also valuable information in respect of timescales. And if the tooth is found to be definitely loose then that's just icing on the cake really.

Sending hugs. I'll guess you'll have a worrying weekend.

This means alot. Thank You Omi

Boo has started doing smaller poos & it seems can't eat hay :( Poor girl must be starving. I came home last night with bunches of coriander, thyme , parsley, thai basil & mint last night so I've set her up with a personal feeding station in the kitchen & will go brambling for her now. I don't know how recently the hay thing happened- it was only now when I watched her longer I realised :( When I give them fresh hay she jumps in & rumages with the others but only mouths it. Well she has definitely given me the sign I was after - now I want it back to the old way

Well, well done you for spotting it before there were definite signs. But I can imagine that it's not welcome news though and it must give you cause for concern. I hope you can feed her up tonight. She'll be feeling quite pampered with that array of herbs :love:

Pesky rabbit teeth :evil:

Boo has started doing smaller poos & it seems can't eat hay :( Poor girl must be starving. I came home last night with bunches of coriander, thyme , parsley, thai basil & mint last night so I've set her up with a personal feeding station in the kitchen & will go brambling for her now. I don't know how recently the hay thing happened- it was only now when I watched her longer I realised :( When I give them fresh hay she jumps in & rumages with the others but only mouths it. Well she has definitely given me the sign I was after - now I want it back to the old way

Your timing is spot on JB.

Wishing all of you a safe journey tomorrow and a good day for Boo at the vet :)

Thanks guys. I'd guess my timing is off a few days in the wrong direction. Got an impressive bramble stash which she also found difficult. So I spent an hour stripping the thorny veins & cut in to bits . She had a lot. She was fine with nuggets last night - should I moisten tonights to make it easier on her? She had loads of herbs. Her belly feels really full now - it didn't earlier. Her bramble bits are in the hall where Mousey daren't go. I'll replenish herbs every few hours.

Herbs & veg get reduced to 5p so the bunnies expect me to come home from work with at least six bags of herbs on Fridays & Saturdays - I rarely disappoint.

Thanks guys. I'd guess my timing is off a few days in the wrong direction. Got an impressive bramble stash which she also found difficult. So I spent an hour stripping the thorny veins & cut in to bits . She had a lot. She was fine with nuggets last night - should I moisten tonights to make it easier on her? She had loads of herbs. Her belly feels really full now - it didn't earlier. Her bramble bits are in the hall where Mousey daren't go. I'll replenish herbs every few hours.

Herbs & veg get reduced to 5p so the bunnies expect me to come home from work with at least six bags of herbs on Fridays & Saturdays - I rarely disappoint.

You could do but Boo may turn her nose up at them !! It sounds as though she has had a fair bit of other food so I would not worry if she does not eat pellets tonight. The Vet may ask the VNs to give Boo a syringe feed an hour or so before her Dental if the Vet feels Boo's tummy is a bit empty.

Sending lots of vibes for her xx

Oh poor Boo :(

What I do instead of wetting the pellets (which mine don't like) is mix them in with some grated carrot/apple or other veg, and they get soft that way. They tend to get gobbled up then.

Hope you have a stress free (or as much as possible) evening .....

Oh no, I'm sorry to read that Boo is struggling with her hay at the moment [emoji17] At least you know that she's being seen tomorrow and having her teeth seen to.

I know it's a bit of a laborious task but I don't know if it's worth snipping some hay into smaller pieces to make it a bit easier to manage? Just for tonight and as an added reassurance that she's getting a bit more fibre into her tummy.

Lots of vibes for Boo tomorrow xxx

So sorry that Boo is struggling, I hope after her visit to the vets tomorrow things improve for her. I struggled to get Dillon to eat when he was poorly and put the pellets into mash potato

She had an extra large portion of slightly moistened SS with grated pear, seasoned with fenugreek & laced with metacam (vet has given pre ok on use such as this).

I tried cutting oat hay Scrappy but maybe thats too stalky. She is in the litter tray with Joe now, just chilling, I shall offer her meadow hay cut up although she can't possibly feel hungry now, I'll be watching all night anyway

Thanks for your lovely well wishes everyone.

Slight aside, I was watching Countryfile tonight (as you do, Sunday evening treat :lol:) . They had this technology that allowed you to "read" sheeps faces , apparently when they are in pain their expressions change. Their noses got pointier, ears curled a little, the corners of their mouth turned flat (when happy they turn up as though they are smiling) & some showed it in their eyes. This is then accessed by farmer who gets the chance to check things out & seek treatment before it gets too advanced. 1) How awesome is that? 2) We need one for rabbits

She had an extra large portion of slightly moistened SS with grated pear, seasoned with fenugreek & laced with metacam (vet has given pre ok on use such as this).

I tried cutting oat hay Scrappy but maybe thats too stalky. She is in the litter tray with Joe now, just chilling, I shall offer her meadow hay cut up although she can't possibly feel hungry now, I'll be watching all night anyway

Thanks for your lovely well wishes everyone.

Slight aside, I was watching Countryfile tonight (as you do, Sunday evening treat :lol:) . They had this technology that allowed you to "read" sheeps faces , apparently when they are in pain their expressions change. Their noses got pointier, ears curled a little, the corners of their mouth turned flat (when happy they turn up as though they are smiling) & some showed it in their eyes. This is then accessed by farmer who gets the chance to check things out & seek treatment before it gets too advanced. 1) How awesome is that? 2) We need one for rabbits

We have one ...

https://www.nc3rs.org.uk/sites/default/files/documents/RbtGS Manual.pdf

The Rabbit Grimace Scale – a new method for pain assessment in rabbits

Back