Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 337

Thread: Boo's dental thread updated 24/6

  1. #11
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    10,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Given all of the above I'd be minded to hold off on another GA and 'wait and see'. You may find that as before, you will pick up on the subtle symptoms she exhibited before, the symptoms that are 'Boo specific' !!

    That said, if your trusted Vet advises that another GA Dental is done after 7 weeks I would go with a qualified opinion
    My vet has more confidence in my picking up signs than I have (she is amazed by Boo). She was happy to not pre book this one but for me to keep a close eye on her & arrange when I feel its necessary. Say i've no signs but its got to 12 weeks (we're only on 6 now) - would you take her in then or keep assessing but not get too fixated on "she must need one by now as its been X weeks?"

  2. #12
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    10,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Is she now approaching the 7 weeks since the last dental stage? I would struggle to make a confident decision in Boo's case

    As much as I would hate the thought that she looks as though she will need frequent dentals, I would bear in mind a few facts. Boo requires a dental because of the missing teeth, which means that she has no means of wearing the tooth down, even if she eats mountains of hay. This is a constant and I can't see this changing. Boo gives none of the usual clues that she needs a dental e.g. feeling pain, signs of eating less, weight change etc. This, I think, might change if the time between dentals is extended allowing the spur to grow longer and actually bother Boo. In my view this must happen at some stage and it's only because you are vigilent that Boo hasn't reached this stage.

    So it seems as though you are left with the choice of doing regular dentals around the 7 weeks time or trying slowly to extend the time between dentals to result in fewer GAs overall, obviously keeping a very close watch on her. I think the observation of the vet who did the previous dental would help here in establishing just how much spur had to be removed.

    So your question is what would I do. I think I would first of all try to get the same vet to do a dental on Boo with the same gap in between and ask her to try to compare the two in respect of spur growth. If it is considered to be relatively minimal on both occasions, I would gradually try to extend the gap and also try to get the same vet each time.

    I agree it's not an easy decision though.
    Thanks Omi for your useful contribution. I guess there would be a point when Boo visibly suffers but I hate to think how bad things would be by that stage. I've stuck with the same vet. That it is an advantage of taking her in not long after 7 weeks (she is almost there) so the spur growth rate can be compared to last time. I'd intended to ask her if she'd been measuring it but didn't after I saw the photos - it was a jaggedy looking thing

  3. #13
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    135,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    My vet has more confidence in my picking up signs than I have (she is amazed by Boo). She was happy to not pre book this one but for me to keep a close eye on her & arrange when I feel its necessary. Say i've no signs but its got to 12 weeks (we're only on 6 now) - would you take her in then or keep assessing but not get too fixated on "she must need one by now as its been X weeks?"
    I'd probably get the Vet to try to take a look at her teeth at the 7-8 week mark this time. The Vet might be able to get some clue as to whether another Dental then is actually needed. Sometimes the amount of pooled saliva in the mouth can be a red flag re elongated crowns/spurs, even in the absence of any other obvious signs.

    I know how hard it can be to have faith in our own judgements re a Dental Rabbit, even if our trusted Vet does believe we will be able to pick up on subtle signs of trouble brewing ! As time goes by you will become more confident in your 'gut instincts' re Boos ongoing treatment.
    Last edited by Jack's-Jane; 07-02-2018 at 11:55 AM. Reason: typo



    Myxomatosis , RHD1 & RHD2 - Vaccinations are ESSENTIAL to protect your Rabbit(s)
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...rum-Moderator)

    Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund (RWAF)~ Britains Biggest and Best Organisation for Everyone who Loves Rabbits
    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Reference links for various Rabbit Health problems :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...99#post7048099

  4. #14
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    10,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    I'd probably make get the Vet to try to take a look at her teeth at the 7-8 week mark this time. The Vet might be able to get some clue as to whether another Dental then is actually needed. Sometimes the amount of pooled saliva in the mouth can be a red flag re elongated crowns/spurs, even in the absence of any other obvious signs.

    I know how hard it can be to have faith in our own judgements re a Dental Rabbit, even if our trusted Vet does believe we will be able to pick up on subtle signs of trouble brewing ! As time goes by you will become more confident in your 'gut instincts' re Boos ongoing treatment.
    That's a good plan. Maybe I sholud get vet to dip ottoscope (sp?) in honey so she moves ger mouth a bit

  5. #15
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    40,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    For those of you unfamiliar with Boo's health issue. She went to the vets in Nov with a few vague symptoms (occassional sneeze, occassional quacking sound, pawed at cheek when eating twice). The key difference I guess with Boo is that she didn't have demonstrate any signs of being a dental bun - she acts completely normally & continues to eat anything & everything offered (weight maintained). On a hunch that something wasn't right she had GA, bloods & skull radiographs. Findings were 2 missing teeth (premolars) & her opposing mandible tooth had grown up & caused an ulcer. The missing teeth still had quite deep sockets. No signs of infection evident. Apart from the missing 2 teeth & the spurrred one that has nothing to grind on, her mouth & teeth look really healthy, no signs of dental disease you would normally see.

    Her next GA was planned for 7 weeks later. Her tooth was burred, no soft tissue damage.

    My question (WWYD) is really about how long should we leave it before her next tooth burr, given she doesn't have any of the usual ways of telling me she needs one. At the vet she doesn't help either, while most rabbit have a good chew on the ottoscope, Boo sits quietly on the table with it in her mouth, my vet isn't able to see much at all during consult.


    No advice from me, but good luck with whatever you decide
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

  6. #16
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    135,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    That's a good plan. Maybe I sholud get vet to dip ottoscope (sp?) in honey so she moves ger mouth a bit
    A honeyscope !!



    Myxomatosis , RHD1 & RHD2 - Vaccinations are ESSENTIAL to protect your Rabbit(s)
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...rum-Moderator)

    Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund (RWAF)~ Britains Biggest and Best Organisation for Everyone who Loves Rabbits
    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Reference links for various Rabbit Health problems :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...99#post7048099

  7. #17
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    40,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    That's a good plan. Maybe I sholud get vet to dip ottoscope (sp?) in honey so she moves ger mouth a bit

    I think I might adopt that - sounds a reasonable idea!

    (Vet might not to be so happy cleaning otoscope afterwards )
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

  8. #18
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    10,515

    Default

    Thanks guys, looks like I have a flexible plan now. I'll update as appropriate

  9. #19
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    10,515

    Default

    I'm no good at this. I've booked my darling little Boo Boo in for a dental on Monday - can't really say I'm seeing signs, more of a hunch . We'll see

  10. #20
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    135,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I'm no good at this. I've booked my darling little Boo Boo in for a dental on Monday - can't really say I'm seeing signs, more of a hunch . We'll see
    As time goes by you'll gain more confidence in your 'hunches'. I know it can be very hard for you to imagine that though. I hope that Boo's Dental will go well and that she wont be too put out by missing out on eating time whilst she's under GA !!



    Myxomatosis , RHD1 & RHD2 - Vaccinations are ESSENTIAL to protect your Rabbit(s)
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...rum-Moderator)

    Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund (RWAF)~ Britains Biggest and Best Organisation for Everyone who Loves Rabbits
    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Reference links for various Rabbit Health problems :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...99#post7048099

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •