• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boo's dental thread

thank you. Still no hay. Wondering if my vets can do conscious xray (not dental) . Could her mouth really be that sore from one tooth being so long? I did get some hay cookies yesterday & she had a little nibble. thank goodness its forage season she is acting totally normal (or Boo)

thank you. Still no hay. Wondering if my vets can do conscious xray (not dental) . Could her mouth really be that sore from one tooth being so long? I did get some hay cookies yesterday & she had a little nibble. thank goodness its forage season she is acting totally normal (or Boo)

After his last dental, Frosty took well over a week for his mouth to settle and get back to eating normally. He’d got ulcers either side of his tongue which weren’t visible when he was conscious. He was on a cocktail of metacam, antibiotics and various gut meds. I ended up with this mega thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...most-back-to-normal-)&highlight=Frosty+dental

I'm sorry that Boo is still avoiding eating hay. My previous experience in having a dental rabbit is a long time ago now, but I think I would be wondering what the cause of this is. I think that Becky had reported that there were no wounds in Boo's mouth, which could have been the result of the over-long tooth? Boo does not usually take this long to get back to normal either. On the plus side she is eating lots of forage and I would have thought that with at least some of it the mouth action would need to be similar to hay. She is also not appearing to be in pain or upset in any way.

I guess it's going to be difficult to contact Becky to ask for advice, especially as it's a holiday weekend. At least the issue doesn't seem to be urgent though.

Sending loads more vibes for Boo.

Sorry to hear that Boo is not so good with the hay, but pleased that at least she is eating other stuff. Hopefully, as Zoobec says, it's early days and the mouth is settling. Strangely enough, Treacle now seems to be nibbling hay, but wasn't pre dental, she is turning her nose up at nuggets, but was eating them before, I can't work these buns out :roll: I'm guessing after a dental, their teeth and mouth must feel a bit strange for a while. Munching vibes for Boobly Boo xxxxx

Thanks guys - so glad she is back to normal Boo. Everytime I see her eat hay now I'm filled with pride
Her bedroom visits are becoming less regular. Wed' night she didn't come up at all & it was only at 7am I heard her come up this morning - the hop of shame! I think she becomes more clingy when she feels bad so prob this is a good sign. She likes hanging out at the prison gates with Rudey at the mo so that might also explain it

Back