• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Brownie and Tumbleweed

Hello! I am trying to bond a pair of rabbits and want to have a journal of everything that goes down, so I or others can use it in the future.The pair is Brownie and Tumbleweed

Brownie is a female mix rabbit, small type, about 5.5 lbs or 2.5 kg, brown, spayed and about 1 year old at time of bonding start.

Tumbleweed is a male Lionhead mix rabbit, about 4lbs or 1.8 kg, black, neutered and about 7 years old.

Both were adopted, Brownie first then Tumbleweed.

I am using the micro space bonding method, for reasons I will explain in a moment.

History,

Brownie needed a partner, she didn't get along with my 2 other rabbits, and was lonely, so I went to a shelter and did speed dating, twice, and we decided that Tumbleweed was the best choice for her, because she was indifferent about all the boys she met, and he wasn't made nervous by her. I brought them both home, to my college dorm, and let them settle in for about a week without interference from me related to bonding. After that first week I set up a neutral space in my dorm, which is difficult because I have a very small room! But it happened, and I put them together and Brownie was very aggressive towards TW, so I calmed them down and then ended on a positve note, by having them sit face to face and me petting them. Then I ended the date. Things went on like this for a while, about a week or 2, with not progress. Then TW started being very nervous around B, so I decided to give dating a break and just switch litter boxes. Then I read about Micro Space Bonding.

Here is the link:

https://bandoliersnbunnies.wordpress.com/2014/09/07/bunny-bonding-blues-micro-space-bonding/
Day 1

So because of the large success with this method I decided to try it. I started with a 28inX28in cage, and it was too much room, they were chasing and biting and overall bad news, so I decided to make it even smaller, starting with 14x14in, and I put them in, they couldn't do much to each other except circle some and groom, so I let them sit like that for a while, about 2 hours. It went well, B stopped pulling TW's fur, and so it was overall calmer, and when they did have spats they were short lived with minimal fur pullage.

Then I increased the size of the cage to a 14x28in cage, and they again had a little spat about the space, but grooming again started, and then I had to go so I put them to bed after B groomed TW, and so they ended on a good note.

Day 2

Now it's day 2, and they are in the 14x28in cage, there was some circling at the very beginning but it only lasted a few seconds, then they went to ignoring each other. They have hay, water, and pellets, and a small litter box. There has been no grooming yet, but B asked and they sat there looking and waiting for about 10 minutes before TW hopped away. They have been in there for about 45 minutes at this point, and so far so good.

One key about the micro bonding that I have now seen first hand, is that you need to let them squabble as long as they aren't causing damage, because the fights always end quickly with my 2, and they are figuring it out on their own.

Thanks for reading! As I said I just want a journal of my progress, and I hope that this can help someone else!

I hope to keep updating with how things are going!
Update:
I expanded their cage again, it is now 28x28in, and they are doing amazing! No chasing or anything when I expanded the space. TW has officially groomed B, and B groomed TW back. They are sharing a bowl of pellets, and are both eating and drinking water. I set up their permanent space, and I took away all blankets that have been used by them and replaced them with a fresh clean blanket. I reused their litter boxes, but they got cleaned and filled with fresh litter. They will each still have their houses, but that will be about it for personal items from their old cages.
This method is very effective in my eyes, and I have read that other people have had good success with this method, and I believe that my pair will be able to be in their permeant cage by tomorrow afternoon. I am going to leave them in the small cage over night and see how that goes, and then if it all works out I'll be moving them to their new cage after my classes tomorrow.
Update:
It has been about 4 and a half hours, and B is sleeping in a loaf position, her usual position, and TW is sleeping next to her, its going really well! I have never bonded rabbits before but this method seems to be doing amazing!

Update:
They have been together for about 26 hours, and no fighting, and really no issues, they are alternating between ignoring each other and grooming, so thats good. I plan on moving them to their permanent cage after my class gets out in about an hour. I am very hopeful that this will be a solid bond! I will keep this updated though!

Back