Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PLEASE HELP soft and deadly pet carrier to blame or...?

Default PLEASE HELP soft and deadly pet carrier to blame or...?

My 15 yo daughter has had a netherland dwarf rabbit for 8 years, with whom he "pair bonded" thus she gradually assumed primary care for over the years. "Teddybuns" divided his time between indoors~where he had a small animal enclosure, with access to food and water, and also frequently roamed with my daughter through our home; and a screened porch where he also had a hutch with hay/pellets/water and free access to roam the porch. He turned 8 just last week and seemed in perfect health. Then yesterday my daughter searched the porch only to discover her beloved lifelong friend lifeless </3 seemingly wedged between the folds of a small soft vinyl pet carrier (used to transport to vet eg) that had long been kept stowed unnoticed beneath a small table.. We are both shocked and devastated ::::: wondering if this is the cause and anyone else has heard of dwarf bunnies becoming lodged between/trapped by/ suffocating from soft carriers or objects~or if he simply collapsed there from other causes.. She occasionally fed him carrots, lettuce (or rare smidgeon of fruit) but he ate primarily pellets plus smaller daily portions of hay~which i've since read should be the mainstay of a rabbit's diet. We are heartsick, tormented by not knowing if he died a premature death due to stress of being trapped or caught in padded carrier?) which might have been prevented had we found him right away~and wondering if this was even the cause? We'd been told as a netherland dwarf he could live up to 14 years so was sudden or unexpected (though i've since learned 8-9 is more average). Up until yesterday morning he appeared/acted in perfect health! Can anyone share any experience, suggest theory or shed light on this please RIP teddybuns♡
    Last edited by teddybunsrip; 05-02-2018 at 04:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybunsrip View Post
    My 15 yo daughter has had a netherland dwarf rabbit for 8 years, with whom he "pair bonded" thus she gradually assumed primary care for over the years. "Teddybuns" divided his time between indoors~where he had a small animal enclosure, with access to food and water, and also frequently roamed with my daughter through our home; and a screened porch where he also had a hutch with hay/pellets/water and free access to roam the porch. He turned 8 just last week and seemed in perfect health. Then yesterday my daughter searched the porch only to discover her beloved lifelong friend lifeless </3 seemingly wedged between the folds of a small soft vinyl pet carrier (used to transport to vet eg) that had long been kept stowed unnoticed beneath a small table.. We are both shocked and devastated ::::: wondering if this is the cause and anyone else has heard of dwarf bunnies becoming lodged between/trapped by/ suffocating from soft carriers or objects~or if he simply collapsed there from other causes.. She occasionally fed him carrots, lettuce (or rare smidgeon of fruit) but he ate primarily pellets plus smaller daily portions of hay~which i've since read should be the mainstay of a rabbit's diet. We are heartsick, tormented by not knowing if he died a premature death due to stress of being trapped or caught in padded carrier?) which might have been prevented had we found him right away~and wondering if this was even the cause? We'd been told as a netherland dwarf he could live up to 14 years so was sudden or unexpected (though i've since learned 8-9 is more average). Up until yesterday morning he appeared/acted in perfect health! Can anyone share any experience, suggest theory or shed light on this please RIP teddybuns♡
    I am so sorry to hear of your family's tragic loss It is impossible to give you a definitive answer as to what happened, a PM examination would be the only way to obtain enough information to possibly provide some answers.

Are you in the UK ? If so, was Teddybuns fully vaccinated- ie 2 separate vaccines to give protection against RHD1 +RHD2 and Myxomatosis ?

At the moment here in the UK the RHD2 virus is a big threat to all Rabbits, this can cause death with absolutely no prior symptoms at all. However, RHD2 may not be what took Teddybuns, it really is impossible to say. There are other conditions that can prove fatal in just a few hours- eg acute bloat.

I really am very sorry that you and your daughter have experienced the sudden and untimely passing of your dear little friend. I am sure it has been a terrible shock for both of you

RIP Teddybuns xx

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF)- The UK'S biggest and best organisation for Rabbit lovers

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Rabbit Health and Diseases, a list of useful online information

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

Myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2- VACCINATION IS ESSENTIAL

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...60#post7041560

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    I am so sorry to hear of your family's tragic loss It is impossible to give you a definitive answer as to what happened, a PM examination would be the only way to obtain enough information to possibly provide some answers.

Are you in the UK ? If so, was Teddybuns fully vaccinated- ie 2 separate vaccines to give protection against RHD1 +RHD2 and Myxomatosis ?

At the moment here in the UK the RHD2 virus is a big threat to all Rabbits, this can cause death with absolutely no prior symptoms at all. However, RHD2 may not be what took Teddybuns, it really is impossible to say. There are other conditions that can prove fatal in just a few hours- eg acute bloat.

I really am very sorry that you and your daughter have experienced the sudden and untimely passing of your dear little friend. I am sure it has been a terrible shock for both of you

RIP Teddybuns xx

thank you jacks_jane for the kind words and info re vaccines~beyond the initial course he was given i will need to investigate further into that here as we are in the US, not UK. my daughter~who observed him so much more closely~believes her curious little one trahically hopped into thus wedging himself in tight space where he was unable to back out. even in cases of natural death it is a painful reminder how utterly dependent upon our supervision these mute and meekest of creatures are. thanks again for your kindness and concern. RIP teddybuns ♡

That's so sad sorry for your loss x

I'm so very sorry for your loss RIP teddybuns xx

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

Wise Old Thumper

Thinking of you all at this very sad time

So sorry for your loss. Binky free Teddybuns xx
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teddybunsrip View Post

It's lovely to have you here on the Forum, but I am so very sorry for your loss

Run free Teddybuns x

Wise Old Thumper

I am very sorry you have lost your rabbit. He was a pretty good age so it could have been his time to pass. He sounds to have had a good life and was loved and cared for. Binky free Teddybuns xx

I'm so very sorry. Is it possible that Teddybuns knew his time was coming to an end and tried to hide away somewhere for his passing. When my bun Smudge passed away she tucked herself up in a corner of her enclosure. Sending hugs x