• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hair loss?

shauna_hale

Young Bun
I'm not sure if this question goes under health or behavior, but I think they could be related....I noticed my 2 males (the brown one is fixed, the brindle one isn't) have strange hair patterns/loss on their backs. Is this fighting? Dominance?

I worry bc you can sneeze and kill a rabbit, so I wanted some insight....

Thanks!
6626bfeefa3675bed4becbf3d66ea14b.jpg
02ae47489a1b8b3ab7b70e336cdc505d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if this question goes under health or behavior, but I think they could be related....I noticed my 2 males (the brown one is fixed, the brindle one isn't) have strange hair patterns/loss on their backs. Is this fighting? Dominance?

I worry bc you can sneeze and kill a rabbit, so I wanted some insight....

Thanks!
6626bfeefa3675bed4becbf3d66ea14b.jpg
02ae47489a1b8b3ab7b70e336cdc505d.jpg

Hi shauna :wave:

It's normal to worry about our rabbits. All the time :roll:

Do your rabbits hump one another? The first photo looks like he's been humped, as often they lose fur towards their upper back and neck when the humper 'holds on' with his teeth.

The second photo, not so obvious but could be same and/or moult lines?

What do you think?

Hi shauna :wave:

It's normal to worry about our rabbits. All the time :roll:

Do your rabbits hump one another? The first photo looks like he's been humped, as often they lose fur towards their upper back and neck when the humper 'holds on' with his teeth.

The second photo, not so obvious but could be same and/or moult lines?

What do you think?
I wondered if that might be the case. The weird thing abt the brindle one is that the hair feels stiff, as if he had hairspray on his hair but then it got wet. It was odd, so I thought I'd ask. Thanks so much!!

I wondered if that might be the case. The weird thing abt the brindle one is that the hair feels stiff, as if he had hairspray on his hair but then it got wet. It was odd, so I thought I'd ask. Thanks so much!!

You're welcome :)

Yes that would figure, as the saliva when dry may well make the hair feel a bit stiff.

Are you planning on getting the 'unfixed' Buck 'fixed' ? If you are hoping to keep them together in the longterm I think it would be essential to do so as the humping behaviour will continue and probably escalate. This would make for a very stressful time for both Bucks with the potential of serious fighting occuring. You may already have plans in place for arranging the second Buck's op', but thought I should mention it on here for the benefit of others who may be new to Rabbits and reading your thread.

Good luck :)

PS- the 'stiff fur' may be due to dried semen, the copulation plug, ( the bouchon vaginal), can sometimes make a very sticky mess ........... (sorry !!)

Back