• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Chins!!!

BarneysMum

New Kit
Hiya All, 8)
I rescued Misty,a female dwarf lop rabbit, a few months ago and she has made a lovely companion for my male bun Barney. She has settled in lovely but we cant help but notice that she has a massive chin!!! I have tried to do some research and find out why females have big chins but cant find any info on it!!! Can anyone update me??
She hasnt been neutered yet but will be in the next month. Will this make a difference?? It doesnt really seem to bother her but it just looks strange to me and i havent seen such a big chin on any other does!!! :?
Cheers, Karen

Hiya,

The fold of skin under her chin is called a dewlap. Female rabbits would usually pull fur from it to use to line the nest when they have babies. It varies in size from bunny to bunny but it can also be larger is a bun is over weight :)

Tam

Thanks for your reply, Tam.
I havent seen her once pull any fur from it but will keep an eye out. Her weight was checked a few weeks after we rescued her and the vet was happy. I dont think that she has put on much weight in the meantime but when she is neutered we will have her weight checked again to be sure.
Oh well. At least she can use it as padding to rest her head when she's sleepy!! :)
Karen

Hi Karen,

just to say that we have a Doe called Emma who is 8 years young, very slim, and has the biggest dewlap I have ever seen :lol:
Talk about having a double chin, Emmas is so long it nearly reaches the ground, but we adore her, even if she has got very saggy skin :D :lol:

It is quite strange really as dewlaps vary so much in size, and some bunnies hardly have one...I guess it is all in the genes :roll: :lol:

Thanks Adele,
I was beginning to feel that maybe her chin wasnt actually that normal and that we should be getting her checked out!!!
Glad to hear that she isnt the only big chinned Gal!! :lol:
Karen :)

rabbit_1445.jpg

Here's another lass with a spare chin ;)

Tam

BarneysMum said:
Glad to hear that she isnt the only big chinned Gal!! :lol:
Karen :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: I am sure it is absolutely nothing to worry about Karen, and as you say, at least she has something to lean on for a comfortable nap...and we have to provide most bunnies with vet bed to curl up on usually , but big chinned girls come ready prepared...great hey!!:? :lol: :lol:

So Chin up Karen and do not fret anymore :wink: :roll: :lol: :lol: (okay bad joke!!)

Yes I agree, nothing to worry about! My bunny Pip who is 5 has quite a good sized chin but it doesn't seem to bother her, must be quite comfy to rest on really! My little girl Amy is starting to get a dewlap, only in past couple of months, seemed to come with age, filling out from a baby rabbit to adult! Well teenager lol

I dunno about a big chin but Toby has a goatie in his old age lol! When his sat his back has curled more in the last couple of years and I swear he now reminds me of the evil lion from "The Lion King 1" from a side view lol. :lol: (The pix below are from last week but cannot tell from the angles)

My female rabbits had a fairly big chin also -- I think its a girl thing (in rabbits) :)

My lop looks like someone has blow her up and let it down and the skins not quite gone back to normal. Shes got a giant chin and a giant skirt too. I called her Dougal for a while so you can imagine what she looked like. When she lies on the floor she looks like a duster - very cute :lol:

Thanks for all of your funny stories about fellow chinny buns!!! :lol: I can now relax and laugh at how comical she looks without feeling cruel :twisted: and thinking that she has something wrong with her!! Bless!!
Karen

Back