• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Salad Cress

Orions_bun

New Kit
Hi! I've recently become the owner of a rabbit (who would have guessed?), whom I've named Orion. Not had a rabbit before but I've had 4 cats previously (no longer, Orion is the only animal here) so I'm sure I'm up to it, in fact I've had him only a week and he's already coming over to me for a pet when I open the cage and has graced me with binkies, which would be lovely, had it not been in the middle of the night [emoji23]

Anyway, my question is, so far apart from hay which he eats quite a lot of, and his allotment of pellets, he won't eat any veggies so far apart from salad cress and carrots, now seeing as carrots are high in sugar, or so I read, I don't give him then every day, a baby carrot every couple of days or so. But, I read online that feeding them cress, rocket and spinach is fine, so I had one of those salad mixes, which he took no notice of, I had to throw it out today since it'd gone off. But he would eat the cress, so I got one of those tiny bales you get in Sainsbury's, and he completely devoured the thing, so far he's had three of those little bales over four days, obviously I don't want to harm him, but it's the only green stuff he'll eat.

Is it safe to do this? Or have you got suggestions on other things I can feed him? Obviously I haven't experimented too much since he's not been here long.

Oh, I've tried a little bit of red cabbage and chicory which he also totally ignored.

Many thanks!
Rachel.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome. Salad cress should be fine, I love that too! Rabbits love grass of course, also Dandelion leaves, not many of those around just now, Milk Thistle is a favourite, Spring Greens from the Supermarket, also herbs. Do you know how old he is?

Hi! I've recently become the owner of a rabbit (who would have guessed?), whom I've named Orion. Not had a rabbit before but I've had 4 cats previously (no longer, Orion is the only animal here) so I'm sure I'm up to it, in fact I've had him only a week and he's already coming over to me for a pet when I open the cage and has graced me with binkies, which would be lovely, had it not been in the middle of the night [emoji23]

Anyway, my question is, so far apart from hay which he eats quite a lot of, and his allotment of pellets, he won't eat any veggies so far apart from salad cress and carrots, now seeing as carrots are high in sugar, or so I read, I don't give him then every day, a baby carrot every couple of days or so. But, I read online that feeding them cress, rocket and spinach is fine, so I had one of those salad mixes, which he took no notice of, I had to throw it out today since it'd gone off. But he would eat the cress, so I got one of those tiny bales you get in Sainsbury's, and he completely devoured the thing, so far he's had three of those little bales over four days, obviously I don't want to harm him, but it's the only green stuff he'll eat.

Is it safe to do this? Or have you got suggestions on other things I can feed him? Obviously I haven't experimented too much since he's not been here long.

Oh, I've tried a little bit of red cabbage and chicory which he also totally ignored.

Many thanks!
Rachel.

How old is he? :)

I think you're meant to wait til 16 weeks to start feeding veggies and introduce them slowly and one at a time.

If he's only young he might not be interested yet but that could change one of mine wasn't interested til she was about 5 months old :)

Mine really love brocoli (tender stem[emoji38][emoji38]), cabbage, lettuce, spinach, kale is a big favourite and rocket. Also herbs like basil, parsley, dill, mint etc they all love so much.

Sometimes because of how strong smelling herbs are they prefer them - maybe you could try some basil? :) x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

He was an adoption, they guess about a year old, but I've no idea what he was fed before. I just picked up some broccoli, oregano and Babycorn (which I will happily munch on if he's not allowed this [emoji23]) the trouble is he's picky but then if he likes it he eats it in a rush, maybe two minutes or so, I don't know if that's ok or if I should give him portions?

Thanks for all your answers [emoji4]

you can easily grow your own salad cress.Gardening places will have their new seeds in stock.Washed butter/spreads tubs are good.You can put thin layer of compost in,dampen it,sow seeds on top.They grow quickly.Cotton wool base can also be used.If it's the stuff you buy in supermarkets as salad cress,this is actually mustard seedlings,easily grown too.:)

He was an adoption, they guess about a year old, but I've no idea what he was fed before. I just picked up some broccoli, oregano and Babycorn (which I will happily munch on if he's not allowed this [emoji23]) the trouble is he's picky but then if he likes it he eats it in a rush, maybe two minutes or so, I don't know if that's ok or if I should give him portions?

Thanks for all your answers [emoji4]

https://www.saveafluff.co.uk/rabbit-info/safe-foods-for-rabbits

This is a good link to see what's safe or not :)

I'd give small amounts of a few things and leave them with him and check back in a few hours and see what's left in the bowl :) x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Oh, I'd love to grow my own stuff for him, unfortunately I live in a flat at the moment so no room for anything, we do have a herb pot on the window sill but the amount we forget to water it I've really lost hope [emoji23]

and thanks for that! I'll definitely check it out, I've left stuff in his food bowl, and the whole oregano plant in the corner, unfortunately he just looks at it, sniffs it, and doesn't bother with it again [emoji23] I'll see if he's eaten anything by tomorrow [emoji4]

Corn is not advisable, spinach is high in calcium so not to be fed on a regular basis. There is lots of good advice in the Diet Section.

Back