• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

'Chirping'?

ToffeeBun

New Kit
Hello all,

I am new on the forums and was hoping that someone would be able to tell me what exactly is going on with my bunny, Toffee.
She will be a year old in March and in the past 3 - 4 months has began making this 'chirping' noise. It sounds almost like a frog croak. She makes this noise constantly when she see's me or when I spend time sitting with her outside of her cage for her daily run around. She's incredibly friendly and once she's done 'chirping' she often nips and bites at my clothing before flopping with all legs spread beside me. This chirping episode can go on for 1 - 2 hours at a time (she's often let out for several hours a day as she's a house rabbit).

I have linked two videos below. The first video you'll hear a single 'chirp' (it almost sounds like a rusty bed spring) as she leaps into my lap. This chirp can often be consistent, one after the other with her ears forward and tail in the air as she darts towards me. A second video of her constant flopping beside me. I have taken her to the vets on two separate occassions (for her jabs and also a quarterly health check). I have been told by two separate vets she's very well and healthy.

I've kept rabbits for many years and understand the flopping aspect but I have never had a bun do this beside me constantly with the chirping. I've never even heard a bun chirp! :)

'Chirping'
https://www.facebook.com/raggamuffin01/videos/10159900602485627/

Flopping
https://www.facebook.com/raggamuffin01/videos/10159759082440627/

Any information would be appreciated so that I can understand my baby girl better! :)

Hello all,

I am new on the forums and was hoping that someone would be able to tell me what exactly is going on with my bunny, Toffee.
She will be a year old in March and in the past 3 - 4 months has began making this 'chirping' noise. It sounds almost like a frog croak. She makes this noise constantly when she see's me or when I spend time sitting with her outside of her cage for her daily run around. She's incredibly friendly and once she's done 'chirping' she often nips and bites at my clothing before flopping with all legs spread beside me. This chirping episode can go on for 1 - 2 hours at a time (she's often let out for several hours a day as she's a house rabbit).

I have linked two videos below. The first video you'll hear a single 'chirp' (it almost sounds like a rusty bed spring) as she leaps into my lap. This chirp can often be consistent, one after the other with her ears forward and tail in the air as she darts towards me. A second video of her constant flopping beside me. I have taken her to the vets on two separate occassions (for her jabs and also a quarterly health check). I have been told by two separate vets she's very well and healthy.

I've kept rabbits for many years and understand the flopping aspect but I have never had a bun do this beside me constantly with the chirping. I've never even heard a bun chirp! :)

'Chirping'

Flopping

Any information would be appreciated so that I can understand my baby girl better! :)

Is she spayed ? Looks and sounds like she wants to mate x

Is she spayed ? Looks and sounds like she wants to mate x

She has not be spayed, I was a little dubious to do so as I've heard horror stories of buns not coming back round from surgeries. I just hope I am not doing more harm than good not having her spayed. I have noticed a very odd smell from her when she often digs and chirps I was wondering if this was all to do with wanting to mate but I haven't been so sure!

She has not be spayed, I was a little dubious to do so as I've heard horror stories of buns not coming back round from surgeries. I just hope I am not doing more harm than good not having her spayed. I have noticed a very odd smell from her when she often digs and chirps I was wondering if this was all to do with wanting to mate but I haven't been so sure!

Obviously it is a personal decision for you, but I would advise you to seriously consider getting your Rabbit spayed. Not only will it make for a less stressful life for her (wanting to mate and not being able to) but it will also protect her from Uterine infections and cancer. It has been found that over 80% of unspayed Does aged 5+ develop Uterine Cancer. My Vet carries out thousands of neuters/spays and she has seen Uterine abnormalities in Does as young as 2. Anaesthesia of Rabbits has moved on a lot over the years and whilst there will always be risks associated with any GA in any species, it is very much safer than it used to be. A 'Rabbit Savvy' Vet will be very up to date about the best GA protocol.

Lagomorphlion has given you a useful link about Rabbit Spays :)

You've been given great advice and I agree it sounds like she's wanting to mate.

In terms of anaesthetic, while I was a VN we never had trouble with bunnies and anaesthetics. The main thing was to get them eating after surgery and ensuring they have good pain relief so they keep eating when they go home.

Generally the risk isn't that high - it's a misconception caused by people with no experience with anaesthetics spreading false information.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hello all,

'Chirping'

Flopping

Hi there and welcome to the forum :wave:

Have any of your buns in the past been spayed? I hope you'll consider it, and yes of course there are risks with any anaesthetic, but if you do it whist she is relatively young, the risks are lessened.

It's not really known how many does will go on to develop uterine cancer if left unspayed. There haven't really been big enough studies done, but I should have a conversation with your vet and see what they say :)

http://rabbit.org/faq-spaying-and-neutering/

Thank you all for all of your fantastic information and responses. I am certainly going to look into getting her spayed (despite I am terrified), but if it means a greater enjoyment of life for her then it's important to her :)

Thank you all for all of your fantastic information and responses. I am certainly going to look into getting her spayed (despite I am terrified), but if it means a greater enjoyment of life for her then it's important to her :)

Welcome :)

Good luck and quiz your vet thoroughly before you commit!

She's a gorgeous girl,Before my bridge girl Cleo was spayed she used to pester her neutered husbun .Flop and throw herself at him,rolling over in front if him etc.Then there was the pee spraying,over him the walls and me!.He,bless him just lay in bunloaf mode looking bemused.:lol:

I don't know if I have something similar going on here with Willow. Today as I let her out I noticed that she was making weird noises. I have never heard anything like that: it's a kind of a murmur, a bit like water simmering under a lid, occasionally lifting it, or some low-pitched creaking wheel. She does not do it all the time - I listened to her for about 20 minutes and it's not continuous (so it doesn't sound like she is wheezing or there is something wrong with her breathing). Apart from the strange noises, she looks completely normal, eats like a horse, poos look normal, runs around in her usual lively manner. And no, she's not spayed either. She was doing it while happily eating a cabbage leaf, so it didn't give me the impression that she was distressed.

Back