Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: 'Chirping'?

  1. #1

    Default 'Chirping'?

    Hello all,

    I am new on the forums and was hoping that someone would be able to tell me what exactly is going on with my bunny, Toffee.
    She will be a year old in March and in the past 3 - 4 months has began making this 'chirping' noise. It sounds almost like a frog croak. She makes this noise constantly when she see's me or when I spend time sitting with her outside of her cage for her daily run around. She's incredibly friendly and once she's done 'chirping' she often nips and bites at my clothing before flopping with all legs spread beside me. This chirping episode can go on for 1 - 2 hours at a time (she's often let out for several hours a day as she's a house rabbit).

    I have linked two videos below. The first video you'll hear a single 'chirp' (it almost sounds like a rusty bed spring) as she leaps into my lap. This chirp can often be consistent, one after the other with her ears forward and tail in the air as she darts towards me. A second video of her constant flopping beside me. I have taken her to the vets on two separate occassions (for her jabs and also a quarterly health check). I have been told by two separate vets she's very well and healthy.

    I've kept rabbits for many years and understand the flopping aspect but I have never had a bun do this beside me constantly with the chirping. I've never even heard a bun chirp!

    'Chirping'
    https://www.facebook.com/raggamuffin...9900602485627/

    Flopping
    https://www.facebook.com/raggamuffin...9759082440627/

    Any information would be appreciated so that I can understand my baby girl better!

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    134,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ToffeeBun View Post
    Hello all,

    I am new on the forums and was hoping that someone would be able to tell me what exactly is going on with my bunny, Toffee.
    She will be a year old in March and in the past 3 - 4 months has began making this 'chirping' noise. It sounds almost like a frog croak. She makes this noise constantly when she see's me or when I spend time sitting with her outside of her cage for her daily run around. She's incredibly friendly and once she's done 'chirping' she often nips and bites at my clothing before flopping with all legs spread beside me. This chirping episode can go on for 1 - 2 hours at a time (she's often let out for several hours a day as she's a house rabbit).

    I have linked two videos below. The first video you'll hear a single 'chirp' (it almost sounds like a rusty bed spring) as she leaps into my lap. This chirp can often be consistent, one after the other with her ears forward and tail in the air as she darts towards me. A second video of her constant flopping beside me. I have taken her to the vets on two separate occassions (for her jabs and also a quarterly health check). I have been told by two separate vets she's very well and healthy.

    I've kept rabbits for many years and understand the flopping aspect but I have never had a bun do this beside me constantly with the chirping. I've never even heard a bun chirp!

    'Chirping'
    https://www.facebook.com/raggamuffin...9900602485627/

    Flopping
    https://www.facebook.com/raggamuffin...9759082440627/

    Any information would be appreciated so that I can understand my baby girl better!
    Is she spayed ? Looks and sounds like she wants to mate x


    Twickenham Veterinary Surgery- A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Practice in SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

    Keep up to date with the RHD2 situation in the UK. This highly respected Facebook page provides accurate and up-to-date information. Both the RWAF and some Rabbit Savvy Vets contribute to the page
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Is she spayed ? Looks and sounds like she wants to mate x
    She has not be spayed, I was a little dubious to do so as I've heard horror stories of buns not coming back round from surgeries. I just hope I am not doing more harm than good not having her spayed. I have noticed a very odd smell from her when she often digs and chirps I was wondering if this was all to do with wanting to mate but I haven't been so sure!

  4. #4

    Default

    Welcome to the Forum

    Here's some information on neutering , hopefully it will answer some of your worries: https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/neutering/

  5. #5
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    134,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ToffeeBun View Post
    She has not be spayed, I was a little dubious to do so as I've heard horror stories of buns not coming back round from surgeries. I just hope I am not doing more harm than good not having her spayed. I have noticed a very odd smell from her when she often digs and chirps I was wondering if this was all to do with wanting to mate but I haven't been so sure!
    Obviously it is a personal decision for you, but I would advise you to seriously consider getting your Rabbit spayed. Not only will it make for a less stressful life for her (wanting to mate and not being able to) but it will also protect her from Uterine infections and cancer. It has been found that over 80% of unspayed Does aged 5+ develop Uterine Cancer. My Vet carries out thousands of neuters/spays and she has seen Uterine abnormalities in Does as young as 2. Anaesthesia of Rabbits has moved on a lot over the years and whilst there will always be risks associated with any GA in any species, it is very much safer than it used to be. A 'Rabbit Savvy' Vet will be very up to date about the best GA protocol.

    Lagomorphlion has given you a useful link about Rabbit Spays


    Twickenham Veterinary Surgery- A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Practice in SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

    Keep up to date with the RHD2 situation in the UK. This highly respected Facebook page provides accurate and up-to-date information. Both the RWAF and some Rabbit Savvy Vets contribute to the page
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/

  6. #6
    Warren Veteran daphnephoebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    9,893

    Default

    You've been given great advice and I agree it sounds like she's wanting to mate.

    In terms of anaesthetic, while I was a VN we never had trouble with bunnies and anaesthetics. The main thing was to get them eating after surgery and ensuring they have good pain relief so they keep eating when they go home.

    Generally the risk isn't that high - it's a misconception caused by people with no experience with anaesthetics spreading false information.

    Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    Even the strongest need to have a day of weakness

  7. #7
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    38,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ToffeeBun View Post
    Hello all,

    I am new on the forums and was hoping that someone would be able to tell me what exactly is going on with my bunny, Toffee.
    She will be a year old in March and in the past 3 - 4 months has began making this 'chirping' noise. It sounds almost like a frog croak. She makes this noise constantly when she see's me or when I spend time sitting with her outside of her cage for her daily run around. She's incredibly friendly and once she's done 'chirping' she often nips and bites at my clothing before flopping with all legs spread beside me. This chirping episode can go on for 1 - 2 hours at a time (she's often let out for several hours a day as she's a house rabbit).

    I have linked two videos below. The first video you'll hear a single 'chirp' (it almost sounds like a rusty bed spring) as she leaps into my lap. This chirp can often be consistent, one after the other with her ears forward and tail in the air as she darts towards me. A second video of her constant flopping beside me. I have taken her to the vets on two separate occassions (for her jabs and also a quarterly health check). I have been told by two separate vets she's very well and healthy.

    I've kept rabbits for many years and understand the flopping aspect but I have never had a bun do this beside me constantly with the chirping. I've never even heard a bun chirp!

    'Chirping'
    https://www.facebook.com/raggamuffin...9900602485627/

    Flopping
    https://www.facebook.com/raggamuffin...9759082440627/

    Any information would be appreciated so that I can understand my baby girl better!

    Hi there and welcome to the forum

    Have any of your buns in the past been spayed? I hope you'll consider it, and yes of course there are risks with any anaesthetic, but if you do it whist she is relatively young, the risks are lessened.

    It's not really known how many does will go on to develop uterine cancer if left unspayed. There haven't really been big enough studies done, but I should have a conversation with your vet and see what they say

    http://rabbit.org/faq-spaying-and-neutering/
    Reliable and up to date info on RHD2:
    An extensive and comprehensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...RHD2-July-2018

  8. #8

    Default

    Thank you all for all of your fantastic information and responses. I am certainly going to look into getting her spayed (despite I am terrified), but if it means a greater enjoyment of life for her then it's important to her

  9. #9
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    38,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ToffeeBun View Post
    Thank you all for all of your fantastic information and responses. I am certainly going to look into getting her spayed (despite I am terrified), but if it means a greater enjoyment of life for her then it's important to her

    Welcome

    Good luck and quiz your vet thoroughly before you commit!
    Reliable and up to date info on RHD2:
    An extensive and comprehensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...RHD2-July-2018

  10. #10
    Mama Doe kattymieoww's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Glasgow/Scotland
    Posts
    2,909

    Default

    She's a gorgeous girl,Before my bridge girl Cleo was spayed she used to pester her neutered husbun .Flop and throw herself at him,rolling over in front if him etc.Then there was the pee spraying,over him the walls and me!.He,bless him just lay in bunloaf mode looking bemused.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •