• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update: lost weight - Red eyed rabbit occasionally holding his head at an angle

If you talk to the vet, you could perhaps ask about anabolic steroids. Not the same as corticosteroids, as you know. Anabolic steroids build up the muscle and increase appetite. The vet can also give Vet B injections, which can help all round.

Is he anaemic, do you know?

An interesting thread here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?458170-E-Cuniculi-and-losing-weight

Thank you for the info. There's been no mention of him being anaemic. The vet said to bring him in in a week to see how he's doing. Is that sufficient?
Also, the vet hasn't given metacam, from what I'm reading this should have been given alongside the Panacur?
He hasn't been officially adopted by us yet, as we just brought him home to try to see if he'd get along with Rose when we noticed the tilt (him and Rose haven't met, just live side-by-side at the minute), so this is all being done through the rescue's vets..

Should I be concerned about him being housed alongside Rose?

Thank you for the info. There's been no mention of him being anaemic. The vet said to bring him in in a week to see how he's doing. Is that sufficient?
Also, the vet hasn't given metacam, from what I'm reading this should have been given alongside the Panacur?
He hasn't been officially adopted by us yet, as we just brought him home to try to see if he'd get along with Rose when we noticed the tilt (him and Rose haven't met, just live side-by-side at the minute), so this is all being done through the rescue's vets..

Should I be concerned about him being housed alongside Rose?

If the vet suspects E.C. or an ear infection, then yes he should be on Metacam.
E.C. releases spores and the anti-inflammatory will lessen the degree of inflammation/swelling.

If he and Rose don't share a litter tay, then I think all will be OK :)

If you're worried about him, take him back a bit sooner for a consult.

Are you really worried about him? Does your gut tell you there is something wrong?

If the vet suspects E.C. or an ear infection, then yes he should be on Metacam.
E.C. releases spores and the anti-inflammatory will lessen the degree of inflammation/swelling.

If he and Rose don't share a litter tay, then I think all will be OK :)

If you're worried about him, take him back a bit sooner for a consult.

Are you really worried about him? Does your gut tell you there is something wrong?

Do you know if Meloxaid does the same job as metacam? He's been given some of this a week as when trying to figure out what could lose the weight loss she wasn't sure if there was tenderness around his back.

It's really difficult to know as the day we picked him up from the rescue we saw something was wrong, so we've never seen his 'normal' if that makes sense. He's so easy to pick up and give medication to, but it we tried that with Rose she'd flip! so obviously it's hard to know if he's subdued or if this is just him and the head tilt is the only symptom.

Also Rose has been alone for over 6 months now trying to find her a husbun (4 males we've tried and it didn't work so far), and obviously this isn't going to be a quick fix for bonding to start. It's difficult to know if he should be at the rescue getting treatment.

Last edited:
Do you know if Meloxaid does the same job as metacam? He's been given some of this a week as when trying to figure out what could lose the weight loss she wasn't sure if there was tenderness around his back.

It's really difficult to know as the day we picked him up from the rescue we saw something was wrong, so we've never seen his 'normal' if that makes sense. He's so easy to pick up and give medication to, but it we tried that with Rose she'd flip! so obviously it's hard to know if he's subdued or if this is just him and the head tilt is the only symptom.

Meloxaid and Metacam contain the same active ingredient 'Meloxicam'. It is the same drug, just different brands :)

Also Rose has been alone for over 6 months now trying to find her a husbun (4 males we've tried and it didn't work so far), and obviously this isn't going to be a quick fix for bonding to start. It's difficult to know if he should be at the rescue getting treatment.

Yes the ingredient (Meloxicam) is the same, and in the same concentration as the Dog metacam:

http://www.mipet.com/products/mipet-meloxaid-oral-suspension-dogs/

I'm sorry you have this dilemma. Difficult, isn't it?

You now describe it as head tilt, which I would say needs more aggressive treatment than a tilt associated with REW scanning ...

I'm sorry you have this dilemma. Difficult, isn't it?

You now describe it as head tilt, which I would say needs more aggressive treatment than a tilt associated with REW scanning ...

Yes, the vet didn't suggest it was associated with eyes, but could be the start of EC.

Head tiling is a symptom e cuniculi, I would keep pushing the vet to check or try a vet with more small animal experience.

Haven't heard from you .. I hope all is well? x

Sorry!! He's got another check up in a couple of days, but he's been doing ok. Hopefully no more weight loss! He's so good with taking his medication I'm always amazed, which makes things easier.

Back