• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update: lost weight - Red eyed rabbit occasionally holding his head at an angle

Azucena

Alpha Buck
Hi,

We have picked up a potential new friend for my current rabbit and noticed that occasionally he holds his head at a slight angle (i.e. with his ears held not at 90 degrees but slightly to one side). He scans quite a bit due to his red eyes, is it likely to be an extension of this? His ears don't feel hot.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi,

We have picked up a potential new friend for my current rabbit and noticed that occasionally he holds his head at a slight angle (i.e. with his ears held not at 90 degrees but slightly to one side). He scans quite a bit due to his red eyes, is it likely to be an extension of this? His ears don't feel hot.

Thanks!

Hi there :wave:

Yes I have come across this in the red-eyed whites that I've had.

Have you had a word with the place that supplied you with the rabbit about this behaviour?

Ah ok thank you! My other rabbit has red eyes too but while she scans I haven't noticed her tilting her head.
Yes, I contacted the rescue who said to keep an eye on it, but could be to do with his eyes. Just wanted to double check it wasn't more likely to be indicative of anything else.

Ah ok thank you! My other rabbit has red eyes too but while she scans I haven't noticed her tilting her head.
Yes, I contacted the rescue who said to keep an eye on it, but could be to do with his eyes. Just wanted to double check it wasn't more likely to be indicative of anything else.

You're welcome!

I'm glad the Rescue reassured you that they hadn't a problem with that rabbit in the past. I know what you mean, some REWs seem to scan and tilt their heads more than others.

When do you intend to bond them? :)

Personally I would arrange to have the Rabbit checked over by a Vet if this has not already been done. Whilst the 'head tipping' may be benign there are some health problems that can cause such symptoms eg otitis media (middle ear infection). I very much doubt it will be anything to worry about, but I would prefer to err on the side of caution and seek prompt Veterinary advice, thus enabling any problem to be promptly identified and treated. I think this would be especially important before attempting to bond the new Rabbit with your current Rabbit.

Good luck :)

It also may be worth treating for EC. It's something I do with all new-to-me rabbits as a one-off, just in case they have this common parasite. Treatment is 28 days of panacur. If there are symptoms (eg head tilt, hind leg weakness), then you also need an anti-inflammatory.

Getting a vet check is a good idea anyway. He will get an MOT (which should include ears and teeth), and advice on vaccinating and neutering (if not already done).

I agree with taking him for a vet check, my bridge bun was a rew and although he scanned a lot, particularly in new or different surroundings, he never tilted his head.

Thanks everyone :) He's got an appointment today. He's only recently been neutered and vaccinated, so would have been checked then, but I guess not specifically for anything related to tilting his head. I'll let you know what they say!

Thanks everyone :) He's got an appointment today. He's only recently been neutered and vaccinated, so would have been checked then, but I guess not specifically for anything related to tilting his head. I'll let you know what they say!

Yes I thought he would've been recently checked (probably a couple of times!) so I really hope there's nothing amiss and it's just him being an adorable REW :)

Do you have any photos?

Hopefully the Vet will be able to reassure you that all is well :)

We have a course of Panacur for him and a precautionary/preventative one for my other rabbit. His ears were fine, and no other symptoms, but the vet thought it was better to play it safe.

Don't have any photos that I can post unfortunately.. Laptops being weird!

We have a course of Panacur for him and a precautionary/preventative one for my other rabbit. His ears were fine, and no other symptoms, but the vet thought it was better to play it safe.

Great :D

You can all be reassured now!

That seems to be a sensible course of action :)

Look forward to when you can :love:

Thanks everyone!

He's adorable.. a fluffy himalayan-coloured lion head cross. Rose is about 3kg so at about 1.2kg he's so tiny!

Back