• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can I bathe my bunny's feet and bum if she doesn't like water?

My holland lop, Cookie, is almost two months old and terrified of water. I'm not placing her in water. I hold her and use a small cup to pour water on her feet and bum. She has urine on her feet and bum and I cannot get it off. I tried using water and scrubbing bunny shampoo in the areas but she will not let me bathe her. What can I do to clean the urine off without hurting and scaring her?

My holland lop, Cookie, is almost two months old and terrified of water. I'm not placing her in water. I hold her and use a small cup to pour water on her feet and bum. She has urine on her feet and bum and I cannot get it off. I tried using water and scrubbing bunny shampoo in the areas but she will not let me bathe her. What can I do to clean the urine off without hurting and scaring her?

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

She should be cleaning herself up. Has she a urinary problem?

I never use shampoo and just stand the rabbit in half an inch of warm water to clean underneath. Then carefully dry, as their fur holds onto moisture.

Welcome!

Normally a bunny will be able to clean themselves. Do you now why she has urine on her feet & bum? What do you use in the area she toilets? Cookie is not alone in her hatred of water. Can you give her a wipe with a moistened flannel or similar? Does she still live with her mum & siblings?

She lives alone, and she lives in a cage that is connected to a large, beddingless playpen area. She has urine on her feet from walking in it after urinating. There is bedding in some of the area, but not all. She urinates in the bedding most of the time, but sometimes not-- and then she walks in it. The urine looks like it's stained in her fur and I'm not sure what to do. I've seen her try to clean herself, but it won't go away. I managed to scrub a little on my first attempt, but it would not come off. I can't bathe her anymore because she won't allow me, so I don't know how I can get it off. I've already tried wiping alone, but nothing will get it off.

She lives alone, and she lives in a cage that is connected to a large, beddingless playpen area. She has urine on her feet from walking in it after urinating. There is bedding in some of the area, but not all. She urinates in the bedding most of the time, but sometimes not-- and then she walks in it. The urine looks like it's stained in her fur and I'm not sure what to do. I've seen her try to clean herself, but it won't go away. I managed to scrub a little on my first attempt, but it would not come off. I can't bathe her anymore because she won't allow me, so I don't know how I can get it off. I've already tried wiping alone, but nothing will get it off.

Then don't try any more, as it sounds stressful. The fur will grow out in time :)

Keep a litter tray separate from any other area (is she outside?) as a rabbit will likely wee on bedding anyway, wherever it is. Also, how often do you change it?

Put down a litter tray part-filled with warm water. My Tabitha was a 'hands off' bunny and when she was older she could not clean herself properly, but would sit in warm water and let me clean her.

Once in while you may find you need to clean a bunny. As others stated, it is more common if a bunny has a medical issue (bladder issues, arthritic) or is overweight (can't reach to clean themselves).
With my late CX who was elderly, I used a shallow plastic box/container that was close to the size of the bunny, lined it with a small towel or washcloth (so they have firm footing), filled it with only a little warm water (no soap), and put it on the floor. I only used enough water to wet the feet/butt. Offering a treat may help and you could even try to start with a dry box with a moist towel/washcloth on the bottom before you attempt water. Be sure to keep the damp bunny warm.

I did bathe Dillons feet when we first got him as they were yellow and sore with urine scald. I put the shower mat (non slip) into the bath and then 1 inch of water water - I did put a couple of spoonfuls of dissolved salt in too in case of infection. I only had to do it the once to loosen the muck on his feet but he hated it. I had thinly cut carrots in the water with him too but he just looked at me like I was being silly.
I think daily litter changes will help your bunny.

Completely agree with the guys above and suggest daily cleaning of her litter tray. Bunnies are very clean animals and will only struggle to keep clean if poorly!

I have 2 bunnies and they get their litter tray cleaned morning and night! :thumb:

One of my bunny had recently had a urine infection where he was dribbling urine on himself, but he has a puppy pad on the underneath and then lots of hay on top so the urine gets soaked up quickly and not on your bunny. So again puppy pads can always be used under something else (just in case they decide to nibble and that's not good for them)

Good luck with Cookie xx

Back