• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thorn-free blackberry safe?

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
Might be an odd question but just wondering if thorn-free blackberry's are safe for rabbits? I bought one last year (which died :oops:) and I want to get a few to plant this year once we've moved but just want to check if they're safe for rabbits to eat first? Would be so much easier for me as I currently cut around each leaf to get rid of the thorns and it takes me forever (yeah I know, mock away :p)

Mine are very keen on any brambles, thorns or not it makes no difference to them. All that is left from a huge pile is about half an inch of stem.

What loving dedication to cut the thorns off for them.

Blackberry is fine - with or without spikes. The bunnies don't bother about them, but my fingers do when I'm cleaning up.

My 'thornless' bramble on the allotment has started to produce stems with spikes on, as well as thornless ones. Will have to have words with it - and remove the thorny ones entirely. It just has nicer looking leaves than the standard 'wild' ones.

Might be an odd question but just wondering if thorn-free blackberry's are safe for rabbits? I bought one last year (which died :oops:) and I want to get a few to plant this year once we've moved but just want to check if they're safe for rabbits to eat first? Would be so much easier for me as I currently cut around each leaf to get rid of the thorns and it takes me forever (yeah I know, mock away :p)

Always good :D

I have to cut the stems off also, so I'd never mock ;)

Sorry for not checking back in this thread - some major things going on and I actually forgot that I'd posted it :oops:
Just wanted to say thank you for the answers, so glad to hear that they can have it! I'll be growing a load when we move :lol:

Always good :D

I have to cut the stems off also, so I'd never mock ;)
Oh my goodness, I'm not alone!!!!!! :lol:

Sorry for not checking back in this thread - some major things going on and I actually forgot that I'd posted it :oops:
Just wanted to say thank you for the answers, so glad to hear that they can have it! I'll be growing a load when we move :lol:

Oh my goodness, I'm not alone!!!!!! :lol:

Hope you're OK? :wave:

Hope you're OK? :wave:
Not really but that's nothing new :roll: Thanks for asking though :)
At least the buns are all okay at the moment - no stasis, tooth problems or anything else for a couple of weeks so around here that's doing well :lol:

Glad to hear I'm not completely crazy cutting around blackberry thorns :lol:

Not really but that's nothing new :roll: Thanks for asking though :)
At least the buns are all okay at the moment - no stasis, tooth problems or anything else for a couple of weeks so around here that's doing well :lol:

Glad to hear I'm not completely crazy cutting around blackberry thorns :lol:

If you'd like a shoulder you know where I am x Many hugs xx

We always cut the thorns off as well. Rosie had a cut on her tongue a year or so ago and we suspected it was a thorn that did it, so we always cut them off now.

Back