• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spot on nose of little Jasper

mintfpv

New Kit
Hi all

I am hoping someone could help with the following questions we have with our 8week old Jasper.

We first noticed he had a slightly wet eye we obviously cleared this up and it came back yesterday about a week after the first sighting of this. This time there is a small square area of fur missing near the bottom of his eye like he has scratched it. Now we have just noticed he has a little spot on the left side of his nose (right hand side of pic) also his fur looks like it’s disapearing around it. Any suggestions???

7b888b266a99c37338792d4cd98e7e53.jpg

This isn’t the best quality pic but you can just about see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all

I am hoping someone could help with the following questions we have with our 8week old Jasper.

We first noticed he had a slightly wet eye we obviously cleared this up and it came back yesterday about a week after the first sighting of this. This time there is a small square area of fur missing near the bottom of his eye like he has scratched it. Now we have just noticed he has a little spot on the left side of his nose (right hand side of pic) also his fur looks like it’s disapearing around it. Any suggestions???

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

What a worry Jasper is! If he's only 8 weeks now, he must have come to you 6/7 weeks? This is very young, and baby rabbits are very susceptible to a lowered immune system when stressed. I'm not saying you're stressing him - not at all, but changing environments will cause a drop in immune response and these things will show up.

That is unless he was born with you?

How did you clear up the weepy eye?

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

What a worry Jasper is! If he's only 8 weeks now, he must have come to you 6/7 weeks? This is very young, and baby rabbits are very susceptible to a lowered immune system when stressed. I'm not saying you're stressing him - not at all, but changing environments will cause a drop in immune response and these things will show up.

That is unless he was born with you?

How did you clear up the weepy eye?

Thank you for the warm welcome

Sorry my mistake he may be 10 weeks and we picked him up at 8. Sorry I’m typing this while I’m working and not great at doing two things at one :/

That makes sense it must be scary moving around. Wasn’t sure if the spot was a typical sign of anything common. With the eye I just got a cotton wool pad and dabbed the wet bits to help dry it then after dabbed with a slightly damp pad and then dried it with another dry pad.

Hope that was the right thing to do.

This is our second rabbit. Our first (buster) we rescued him and bless him he had a everything wrong with him because of his past but we lived to an old age of 5. We just want to make sure Jasper is a happy bunny. Already got such a character.

Hello to you and cute Jasper! :)

I personally would see a vet just to be sure, because he’s so young too.

It could be nothing to worry about but my younger bun had an issue with his nose which turned out to be bunny syphilis (sounds scarier than it it). Also eyes and nose issues can be linked to teeth problems.
Has he had his vaccinations yet?

Hopefully it’s nothing to worry about but it might be worth getting a health check with a new baby anyway :)

Thank you for the warm welcome

Sorry my mistake he may be 10 weeks and we picked him up at 8. Sorry I’m typing this while I’m working and not great at doing two things at one :/

That makes sense it must be scary moving around. Wasn’t sure if the spot was a typical sign of anything common. With the eye I just got a cotton wool pad and dabbed the wet bits to help dry it then after dabbed with a slightly damp pad and then dried it with another dry pad.

Hope that was the right thing to do.

This is our second rabbit. Our first (buster) we rescued him and bless him he had a everything wrong with him because of his past but we lived to an old age of 5. We just want to make sure Jasper is a happy bunny. Already got such a character.

He does look like a character :love:

Yes, you can bathe the eye with a cotton wool pad and cooled boiled water(to make it sterile). I'm glad he didn't come too soon - they can be very fragile as I'm sure you know.

If he's lost a bit of fur on his nose, you should watch out that he doesn't have any discharge. It's common with weepy eyes to sometimes have nasal discharge.

Has he been to the vet yet? :) He can begin to have his vaccinations (there are two now) and the vet can give him the once over as well:

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/vaccinations/

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/owners/frequently-asked-questions/FAQRHD

Additionally, I often give echinacea (a herbal supplement) to strengthen the immune system. Two or three drops a day might help him fight off any infections:

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract/

Good luck :wave:

He does look like a character :love:

Yes, you can bathe the eye with a cotton wool pad and cooled boiled water(to make it sterile). I'm glad he didn't come too soon - they can be very fragile as I'm sure you know.

If he's lost a bit of fur on his nose, you should watch out that he doesn't have any discharge. It's common with weepy eyes to sometimes have nasal discharge.

Has he been to the vet yet? :) He can begin to have his vaccinations (there are two now) and the vet can give him the once over as well:

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/vaccinations/

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/owners/frequently-asked-questions/FAQRHD

Additionally, I often give echinacea (a herbal supplement) to strengthen the immune system. Two or three drops a day might help him fight off any infections:

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract/

Good luck :wave:

He had his two jabs last Saturday and the vet said he was healthy. We are calling the vet tomorrow to book him back in as there is a very very good vet in our area who’s interest is with rabbits.

He had his two jabs last Saturday and the vet said he was healthy. We are calling the vet tomorrow to book him back in as there is a very very good vet in our area who’s interest is with rabbits.

If he had the two vaccinations in one day, that's quite a challenge to the immune system. They are recommended to be given two weeks apart, just because they have't been tested together in any big study. That could be why he's fallen under the weather a bit.

Great to hear you have a rabbit savvy vet :) I would love to hear what he has to say when you get to take Jasper along :)

If one of the Vaccinations he had was the Nobivac Myxo-RHD and the lump on Bunny's nose came up after that then one possibility is a reaction to the vaccine

''In very rare cases the appearance of mild clinical signs of myxomatosis may occur within 3 weeks of vaccination. Recent or latent infection with field myxoma virus seems to play a role in this to a certain extent.''

Full details about the vaccine here :

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-455496

Good luck at the Vets :)

Back