• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding decisions for Jim

randomname

Young Bun
Can anyone give me some pointers/thoughts for my new lad Jim & possibly getting him a friend.

He's around a year old, has been a lone house bunny with a family including small kids & a cat (who he adored) before he came here a month ago. He's never even seen another rabbit :( He is very confidant & people friendly, loves being stroked & cuddled, seems fine with being picked up even - never met a more soppy bun as far as humans go. However he chin rubs constantly, more than any bun I've ever met - he even chin rubs his food before he eats it! Seems like he might be pretty territorial. He can see the guinea pigs from where he is, & for the first week he patrolled the edge of his set up to make sure the piggies didn't invade, although he's settled down now. He's not aggressive or angry, just very alert & wants to claim everything as his own. As he's been doing this a while I doubt neutering will curb this instinct - does any one else agree/disagree?

He's about to be neutered & I'm in two minds as to the next step.

I have a bonded trio of a 10yr old neutered male & 2 neutered females of around 5-6 years old who've all been together around 4 years. Ideally he's just go in with them, but I don't want to upset the balance. However I'm also painfully aware that any day could be the last day of the 10yr old which would leave the girls behind.

I'd prefer to have one set up, but can stretch to two. I'm prepared to get him a friend, but would prefer to keep the numbers to a minimum if possible.

My options seem to be

1) wait until Zak (the 10yr old) passes & try bond him with the girls.

2) Try to bond them as a quad - but i doubt Zak will accept Jim.. but who knows? What if they all fall out?! Zak has PTSD & was bullied by another male (although he looked nothing like Jim)

3) Get Jim a friend & keep those two separate from the trio. Any thoughts as to the sex/personality/age I should look for?

Anybody got any thoughts on this? My priority is obviously their health & happiness, but I'd also like to keep the work down for myself if possible. I have only done bonding once & am not 100% comfortable doing it. Also I can't keep a failed match due to space restrictions, so if I get Jim a friend I'd have to have a guaranteed match so bunny bonding might be the way to go. I've asked at 2 reputable rescues near me, but both are downsizing & the owners are both in bad health so I don't want to add to their woes by asking them to take Jim in for bonding.

Decisions, decisions...

Edit : should also ask if anyone has any thoughts on me putting him in a carrier & placing the carrier within sight of the runs my trio uses to gauge Jim's reaction to other rabbits. It would be useful to know what he does but I don't want to upset the trio. He would be moved away from them afterwards but I'm worried the trio might start fighting between themselves afterwards. Maybe I could just do it when the girls are out, it's mostly Zak I'd be worried about reacting badly. However, that might not be the case (I tend to worry about Zak way more than is necessary) The girls could just as easily be upset by his presence I guess.

Last edited:
I have not really a lot of experience bonding bunnies, I am only on my third bond. We have recently got a girl to bond with our existing boys and yes she did causes a change in the boys behaviour. we had an increased frequency of humping and chasing. Vimto (girl) is next to the boys but we do put a towel between them at night. Vimto came six days ago and the behaviours are settling slowly. As Vimto is newly spayed she will not meet them for another 4 weeks. Both boys are neutered. You mentioned fighting - we have not had proper fights between the boys just the humping.

Hi Cuthbert&Dillon, nice to meet you, thanks so much for your reply :)

I am erring on the side of not trying to bond Jim with my 3 as they're so happy together. Zak being the age he is, with his history, I don't think it's worth upsetting them. It'd probably be easier for them (& me) to have a separate duo. Your post makes me think that even the low key stuff would be unfair on Zak as he's had so many years of turmoil. He deserves some peace in his dotage.

When he passes, I'd be left with 2 pairs that I could possibly bond I guess. If I bond Jim with a girl that'd mean 3 girls & one boy - does that sound like it'd work?

I am sure someone with lots more experience will be along soon that can better advise you and link you to topics on here that would be a source of help. Either way I am sure you will make the best decision for Jim and Zak :wave:

Hi Randomname. I tried to bond 3 girls and a boy. I had 2 girls ( sisters) together, a separate male and separate female. All neutered. Everyone on here said it would be difficult but did give me lots of advice. I managed it initially so had a quad, but after about a month, 2 of the girls fell out really badly and I had to take Lucy out. The trio (2 sisters and Piper, the boy) are still ok together. I’ve now got Lucy bonded with Dave so have 2 set ups. When the quad were together, briefly, Lucy was very much the isolate, the others wouldn’t let her into their space. I’m not sure if I did something wrong, like increase the space too quickly, adopted Dave, who I couldn’t resist and they may have smelt him etc. Sometimes I think I’d like to have the 5 together but can’t face the bonding process as all is calm now, and I think Lucy and Jet really hate each other.
Not sure if that helps, I personally think 3 girls together, unless they grow up together, is quite difficult to achieve. If you put Jim in with your trio, that’s a balance of 2 of each? It depends if you’re happy with 2 setups.

Hi CometLucy195, thanks so much for your reply :)

I think my biggest worry is if the trio fall out down the line, so I'm strongly considering the second set up as the best/easiest option, especially after reading about your guys! They'd be near each other, so I'd be able to get a sense of whether or not Janis & Joni (the girls in the trio) would accept Jim & his friend after Zak passes, or not. In the meantime, Zak's happiness is paramount so I think I'm going to look at adopting another bun just for Jim (*sigh*)

I guess a neutered female would be the most obvious easy pairing for him? Any ideas what kind of personality would suit him? He has no clue about other buns & is clearly a fairly dominant/territorial guy (unless neutering changes that) Do I look for a submissive or much younger lady do you think? Or maybe a settled, more confidant (dare I say, bossy) female who'll show him what's what?

It’s a tricky one - if you get a female partner for Jim with a view to eventually bonding the 4 after Zak passes I think having 3 females would make for a difficult bond so you may always have 2 separate setups. Would you attempt bonding Jim into your trio to see how it goes, or would you be too worried about the trio’s bond breaking?

Having been in a similar situation to you I would definitely find a female for Jim and leave the trio as they are for the sake of your 10 year old.However if you would prefer not to get another bunny and think Jim would be ok on his own for awhile until your 10 year old passes, that is another option.I think as things stand,the 10 year old would struggle with the stress of a big bond.
In my experience,quads can be tricky to maintain even after bonding because there is always more scope for a fall-out amongst them which can escalate quickly through the group.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Hi Casco,
I do worry about the trio falling out. Most especially it's Zak I'm worried about. He had to have a ton of surgery due to fighting wounds & cysts when we first got him & he never quite got over it. He has some sort of PTSD from then, is very people aggressive (although it's all noise & bluster since he went it with the girls) & was really difficult to bond. We tried 3 or 4 different buns but he always freaked out. He lived side by side for around 6 years until the other one passed & we adopted Janis & Joni, then he fell in love. I feel like he's only had 4 years of happiness his whole life, I really really don't want to mess it up for him.

Have more or less decided just to get Jim a friend & keep them separate, even if that's permanent. Question now is, what kind of friend should I look for for Jim?.

Hi hoppetylop, yeah I think I'm pretty much decided now. Not gonna risk upsetting Zaky boy. Problem is i think Zak'll be that one bun that lives 'til 15, so don't want Jim alone all that time, he's so bored & lonely.
So, am looking for a wife bun for Jim I guess (in a couple of months after the neuter) Any ideas as to what personality type/age/size I should go for given he's quite territorial & confident & never met another bun?

Had another thought (happens occasionally ;) ).. am I correct in assuming that a young male in his prime would be a threat to an elderly male in the wild? Like how with lions the young ones will kill the older one & take over the pride?! Or have i been watching too many wildlife documentaries..?

Hi hoppetylop, yeah I think I'm pretty much decided now. Not gonna risk upsetting Zaky boy. Problem is i think Zak'll be that one bun that lives 'til 15, so don't want Jim alone all that time, he's so bored & lonely.
So, am looking for a wife bun for Jim I guess (in a couple of months after the neuter) Any ideas as to what personality type/age/size I should go for given he's quite territorial & confident & never met another bun?

I think your best bet is to take Jim to a rescue which does bonding and let Jim choose from the different females there who the rescue can then bond with him.There will,Im sure be the perfect girlie there for him and if he can choose its more likely to be a bond "for keeps".A submissive but laid back girl would maybe work but its gelling both personalities that's the key.There is often no way of knowing who bunnies will fall for until bonding is tried.
Lucky boy to have someone like you with his best interest at heart:thumb:

Had another thought (happens occasionally ;) ).. am I correct in assuming that a young male in his prime would be a threat to an elderly male in the wild? Like how with lions the young ones will kill the older one & take over the pride?! Or have i been watching too many wildlife documentaries..?

Not necessarily. It all depends on personalities but possible.Sadly few wild bunnies reach old age in the wild due to predation, disease etc so its difficult to say.They are certainly very territorial though.Within a warren there are both sexes living together,but there wont be huge age gaps.Some younger males actually live on the outskirts of a warren until they can find their place in a warren setting.Some never do if they are predated first.Its a very complex system which we are just learning about.

Last edited:
Hi, I don’t think you can decide on a specific bun for Jim. I had an ‘aggressive ‘ rescue bun, Comet, now sadly gone, who couldn’t be bonded at the rescue so I had him. But when I got Lucy, they just basically moved in together without me doing anything at all. Same with Lucy and Dave, Dave dug under the fence adjoining Lucy’s cage and I found him in with Lucy. Thought I’d got my bunnies mixed up, too much alcohol that night. So what I’m trying to say is, someone very wise, (MM) said once that most male/female pairings can happen, so if you find a bun you think Jim will like, go for it and bond them.
If you’re worried, ask a rescue to do it. Let us know what you decide x

Taking Jim to a rescue to bond was my first choice, but when I contacted my local ones both said the owners were downsizing due to ill health, & they weren't up to bonding for a while. The RSPCA said it wasn't something they did at their rehoming centre near me. I can't travel any further, but I know Leah at YRR would help me out if she can, as would the two local ones - so I could ask them to bring me the bun they think most suitable, but i can return them & try another if it doesn't work. That's looking like the best option.

I can do the bonding myself, but i'll be on here fretting every 5 mins. I worry way more than is necessary!

Just a side note - do you have any thoughts on me trying a dwarf bun with him at all? Never had a dwarf, would be a good chance for me to learn something :)

Taking Jim to a rescue to bond was my first choice, but when I contacted my local ones both said the owners were downsizing due to ill health, & they weren't up to bonding for a while. The RSPCA said it wasn't something they did at their rehoming centre near me. I can't travel any further, but I know Leah at YRR would help me out if she can, as would the two local ones - so I could ask them to bring me the bun they think most suitable, but i can return them & try another if it doesn't work. That's looking like the best option.

I can do the bonding myself, but i'll be on here fretting every 5 mins. I worry way more than is necessary!

Just a side note - do you have any thoughts on me trying a dwarf bun with him at all? Never had a dwarf, would be a good chance for me to learn something :)

Unless hes really big,a dwarf sized bun with the right personality would be fine.When he meets the right bun it wont matter to either of them-colour,size,shape etc:lol:I have a big bun bonded with a small one and they are fine.Its actually quite cute when they snuggle! :love:

Lots of luck.x

He's about dutch size, on the small side. I'm not really bothered, like you said I just want him to get along, but it's always nice to expand my knowledge. I usually ask for the one(s) they can't rehome easily (that's why my cat's FIV+ & I adopted a quad of piggies) just to try & help them out a bit more. My only real request would be no black buns especially lops as it's a huge trigger for Zak :( shame really, I love black animals.

Booking his neuter Monday, will be contacting rescues as soon as he's on his feet to see what they say.

Thanks for all your advice, has really helped me come to a decision.

Don't suppose you're aware of any one on this forum from the North East connected with rescues are you? I'm going to try Pat at Ark on The Edge & Leah at Yorkshire Rabbit Residence & NASSL who have a branch near me.

He's about dutch size, on the small side. I'm not really bothered, like you said I just want him to get along, but it's always nice to expand my knowledge. I usually ask for the one(s) they can't rehome easily (that's why my cat's FIV+ & I adopted a quad of piggies) just to try & help them out a bit more. My only real request would be no black buns especially lops as it's a huge trigger for Zak :( shame really, I love black animals.

Booking his neuter Monday, will be contacting rescues as soon as he's on his feet to see what they say.

Thanks for all your advice, has really helped me come to a decision.

Don't suppose you're aware of any one on this forum from the North East connected with rescues are you? I'm going to try Pat at Ark on The Edge & Leah at Yorkshire Rabbit Residence & NASSL who have a branch near me.

Youre like me adopting the difficult to home ones!

Hope it all goes well.x

Jim is booked in for castration on Feb 14th 9am. Once them mahoosive nads are gone, how long do I wait for introductions? I see 4 weeks but I'd feel safer with 6 tbh, am I being over cautious? I know not to starve him for the anaesthetic, is there any other tips I need to know? Been a long time since we've had a rabbit done.

Edit : also have 2 lone females to go have a look at in my local rescue, will be going to check them out in 2 weeks. Do you think Jim will be ok to take with me so he can have his say? His op is Wednesday, I'd be wanting to go visiting Sunday - is that too soon to take him? My choices are a baby of 3-4 months & a year old (same age as Jim) Any thoughts on which will be better seeing as Jimbo hasn't encountered another bun yet. Would he hurt the baby possibly? Or is he more likely to be nice to her as she's little?

Last edited:
Back