Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Bonding decisions for Jim

  1. #11
    Young Bun randomname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    North East UK
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Had another thought (happens occasionally ).. am I correct in assuming that a young male in his prime would be a threat to an elderly male in the wild? Like how with lions the young ones will kill the older one & take over the pride?! Or have i been watching too many wildlife documentaries..?

  2. #12
    Mama Doe
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    oxfordshire
    Posts
    3,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randomname View Post
    Hi hoppetylop, yeah I think I'm pretty much decided now. Not gonna risk upsetting Zaky boy. Problem is i think Zak'll be that one bun that lives 'til 15, so don't want Jim alone all that time, he's so bored & lonely.
    So, am looking for a wife bun for Jim I guess (in a couple of months after the neuter) Any ideas as to what personality type/age/size I should go for given he's quite territorial & confident & never met another bun?
    I think your best bet is to take Jim to a rescue which does bonding and let Jim choose from the different females there who the rescue can then bond with him.There will,Im sure be the perfect girlie there for him and if he can choose its more likely to be a bond "for keeps".A submissive but laid back girl would maybe work but its gelling both personalities that's the key.There is often no way of knowing who bunnies will fall for until bonding is tried.
    Lucky boy to have someone like you with his best interest at heart

  3. #13
    Mama Doe
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    oxfordshire
    Posts
    3,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randomname View Post
    Had another thought (happens occasionally ).. am I correct in assuming that a young male in his prime would be a threat to an elderly male in the wild? Like how with lions the young ones will kill the older one & take over the pride?! Or have i been watching too many wildlife documentaries..?
    Not necessarily. It all depends on personalities but possible.Sadly few wild bunnies reach old age in the wild due to predation, disease etc so its difficult to say.They are certainly very territorial though.Within a warren there are both sexes living together,but there wont be huge age gaps.Some younger males actually live on the outskirts of a warren until they can find their place in a warren setting.Some never do if they are predated first.Its a very complex system which we are just learning about.
    Last edited by hoppetylop; 26-01-2018 at 09:58 PM. Reason: typo

  4. #14
    Alpha Buck
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    957

    Default

    Hi, I don’t think you can decide on a specific bun for Jim. I had an ‘aggressive ‘ rescue bun, Comet, now sadly gone, who couldn’t be bonded at the rescue so I had him. But when I got Lucy, they just basically moved in together without me doing anything at all. Same with Lucy and Dave, Dave dug under the fence adjoining Lucy’s cage and I found him in with Lucy. Thought I’d got my bunnies mixed up, too much alcohol that night. So what I’m trying to say is, someone very wise, (MM) said once that most male/female pairings can happen, so if you find a bun you think Jim will like, go for it and bond them.
    If you’re worried, ask a rescue to do it. Let us know what you decide x

  5. #15
    Young Bun randomname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    North East UK
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Taking Jim to a rescue to bond was my first choice, but when I contacted my local ones both said the owners were downsizing due to ill health, & they weren't up to bonding for a while. The RSPCA said it wasn't something they did at their rehoming centre near me. I can't travel any further, but I know Leah at YRR would help me out if she can, as would the two local ones - so I could ask them to bring me the bun they think most suitable, but i can return them & try another if it doesn't work. That's looking like the best option.

    I can do the bonding myself, but i'll be on here fretting every 5 mins. I worry way more than is necessary!

    Just a side note - do you have any thoughts on me trying a dwarf bun with him at all? Never had a dwarf, would be a good chance for me to learn something

  6. #16
    Mama Doe
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    oxfordshire
    Posts
    3,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randomname View Post
    Taking Jim to a rescue to bond was my first choice, but when I contacted my local ones both said the owners were downsizing due to ill health, & they weren't up to bonding for a while. The RSPCA said it wasn't something they did at their rehoming centre near me. I can't travel any further, but I know Leah at YRR would help me out if she can, as would the two local ones - so I could ask them to bring me the bun they think most suitable, but i can return them & try another if it doesn't work. That's looking like the best option.

    I can do the bonding myself, but i'll be on here fretting every 5 mins. I worry way more than is necessary!

    Just a side note - do you have any thoughts on me trying a dwarf bun with him at all? Never had a dwarf, would be a good chance for me to learn something
    Unless hes really big,a dwarf sized bun with the right personality would be fine.When he meets the right bun it wont matter to either of them-colour,size,shape etcI have a big bun bonded with a small one and they are fine.Its actually quite cute when they snuggle!

    Lots of luck.x

  7. #17
    Young Bun randomname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    North East UK
    Posts
    54

    Default

    He's about dutch size, on the small side. I'm not really bothered, like you said I just want him to get along, but it's always nice to expand my knowledge. I usually ask for the one(s) they can't rehome easily (that's why my cat's FIV+ & I adopted a quad of piggies) just to try & help them out a bit more. My only real request would be no black buns especially lops as it's a huge trigger for Zak shame really, I love black animals.

    Booking his neuter Monday, will be contacting rescues as soon as he's on his feet to see what they say.

    Thanks for all your advice, has really helped me come to a decision.

    Don't suppose you're aware of any one on this forum from the North East connected with rescues are you? I'm going to try Pat at Ark on The Edge & Leah at Yorkshire Rabbit Residence & NASSL who have a branch near me.

  8. #18
    Mama Doe
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    oxfordshire
    Posts
    3,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randomname View Post
    He's about dutch size, on the small side. I'm not really bothered, like you said I just want him to get along, but it's always nice to expand my knowledge. I usually ask for the one(s) they can't rehome easily (that's why my cat's FIV+ & I adopted a quad of piggies) just to try & help them out a bit more. My only real request would be no black buns especially lops as it's a huge trigger for Zak shame really, I love black animals.

    Booking his neuter Monday, will be contacting rescues as soon as he's on his feet to see what they say.

    Thanks for all your advice, has really helped me come to a decision.

    Don't suppose you're aware of any one on this forum from the North East connected with rescues are you? I'm going to try Pat at Ark on The Edge & Leah at Yorkshire Rabbit Residence & NASSL who have a branch near me.
    Youre like me adopting the difficult to home ones!

    Hope it all goes well.x

  9. #19
    Young Bun randomname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    North East UK
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Jim is booked in for castration on Feb 14th 9am. Once them mahoosive nads are gone, how long do I wait for introductions? I see 4 weeks but I'd feel safer with 6 tbh, am I being over cautious? I know not to starve him for the anaesthetic, is there any other tips I need to know? Been a long time since we've had a rabbit done.


    Edit : also have 2 lone females to go have a look at in my local rescue, will be going to check them out in 2 weeks. Do you think Jim will be ok to take with me so he can have his say? His op is Wednesday, I'd be wanting to go visiting Sunday - is that too soon to take him? My choices are a baby of 3-4 months & a year old (same age as Jim) Any thoughts on which will be better seeing as Jimbo hasn't encountered another bun yet. Would he hurt the baby possibly? Or is he more likely to be nice to her as she's little?
    Last edited by randomname; 09-02-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •