• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strange hay behaviour

zarathustra

Warren Scout
Evening all,

Recently my partner and I have noticed some strange bunny behaviour regarding their hay.

They live in a dual level hutch with an enclosed sleeping area on the top floor where we give them hay for bedding.

Downstairs we have a hay dispenser which we keep topped up with Timothy hay.

Over the last week or two the boys seem to have stopped eating the hay from the hay dispenser, and instead are pulling it out leaving a big pile of hay.

But, they are happily scoffing the hay which is in their bedding area.

Other than seemingly wanting to switch their sleeping area from upstairs to downstairs they seem fine.

Eating, drinking etc all seem normal, and they both still have a huge appetite for mischief.

I was thinking it might be due to them deciding that the area near the hay dispenser was a new place for a pee, and the smell was putting them off.

Has anyone ever had rabbits that have done this before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think its just a case of rabbits being rabbits and them having their own agendas!:lol:My rabbits often like to lie down on their pile of hay and munch away while resting and it just may be their preference. Rabbits love piles of hay and I guess,to them its less effort to eat it that way
If you haven't already,maybe put a litter tray under their downstairs hay dispenser which they can sit in which may encourage them to use the dispenser?

I think its just a case of rabbits being rabbits and them having their own agendas!:lol:My rabbits often like to lie down on their pile of hay and munch away while resting and it just may be their preference. Rabbits love piles of hay and I guess,to them its less effort to eat it that way
If you haven't already,maybe put a litter tray under their downstairs hay dispenser which they can sit in which may encourage them to use the dispenser?

Thanks, I thought it might be something like that.

A litter tray/hay dispenser is on the cards, just need to measure up to get one that fits, and hopefully have it in for when they have their bits chopped off in a couple of weeks.

Will also be a good opportunity for a thorough clean and disinfecting and try and get rid of the build up in heir favourite toilet areas.

Are you sure they are both boys? I would have another look just to make sure you don't have a boy and a girl.

Are you sure they are both boys? I would have another look just to make sure you don't have a boy and a girl.

Yes, they went for their jabs a couple of weeks ago and the vet did a check at the same time and they’re definitely both boys.

Back