• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Joint supplement liquid form

Alicia

Mama Doe
Izzy has had oxbow joint supplements for a year but she went off them a few weeks ago and now I can’t get her to eat them at all. I’ve tried leaving them but unfortunately Beans loves them and tries to eat them and I don’t think it’ll do him any good as hes only 9 months old. Is the someone kind of liquid joint supplement or an alternative I can give Izzy? It was doing her a lot of good before she decided to stop eating them

It won't do Beans any harm at all eating them I don't think. Oddly enough I had this exact conversation with my own vet when Thumper had the problem with her paw and needed to start taking them and said, it's a bit late now to take them, surely she should have started taking them when she was younger? And my vet said yes. But check with your vet first.

Thumper won't eat them whole - I cut them up into really small pieces, as small as I can, and mix them with her pellets. She eats them that way as she doesn't really notice the difference; try that perhaps?

I've never seen it in liquid form, sorry, but again, your vet may be able to assist.

Edited to say that Coco doesn't need them either but she eats them as well, again cut up into small pieces, but then she'd eat them whole as she's just a pig :lol:. I can't feed them separately, you see, as they get stressed out when split up as I've tried it. And given Thumper won't eat them whole, or as a half, I have no choice but to mix them in with the feed which of course Coco then also eats. It is not doing Coco any harm whatsoever, in fact, as she's the same age as Thumper it is probably doing her good! It's no different to us taking supplements for things if you think about it. But like I say, check with your vet.

Last edited:
Thank you I will check with the vet, I just worry because Beans is only 9 months old is he fully grown? I wonder if it would badly affect him if he isn’t fully grown?

Thank you I will check with the vet, I just worry because Beans is only 9 months old is he fully grown? I wonder if it would badly affect him if he isn’t fully grown?

I don't know, I don't see why it would affect him even if he's not fully grown - it's only a supplement. But best check with your vet before he has any, just to be on the safe side as I'm no vet :).

But meanwhile, try cutting them into small pieces (I use scissors) and mixing with pellets, see if Izzy will eat them that way; it's the only way Thumper will eat them so it's worth a try for Izzy too :).

Back