• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth again

Hi, really sorry to hear about Jimmy's problems. Have you tried dried forage like thistle, plantain/ribwort, dandelion, roots, dried blossoms etc? Mine get at least 2 handfuls per bun per day mixed in with hay, readigrass & green oat hay. I find they tend to eat more hay if I mix other forage in with it. Zooplus do some for ok prices, but Galen's garden & ratrations have a much wider (& more expensive) selection. I think the toughness of things like thistle is good for dental wear.

Cool name btw, my new bun is called Jim :)
I will look into this. I will try anything at all. Thank you x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

hey, I'm really sorry to hear about Jimmy's health problems. I have been there myself with my bridge bun Snoopy. its so stressful and indeed expensive. at that time I did not have insurance either, which made it even more difficult. I would consider contacting petplan as they have covered dentals before. they say they do not cover it in their terms and conditions, but others have had some costs covered, medicine and anaesthesia for instance. if Jimmy has been for dental check ups (making sure his teeth are ok) etc sometimes they will accept. I would give it a go in all honesty.

sadly with teeth issues, it can be caused by multiple problems. hay is one, but so is breeding. due to breeding we make their heads smaller and rounder for the "cute" effect. this can cause their teeth being poorly aligned, roots to cause troubles, or even their teeth to grow into their jaw. sadly for my little boy, that was likely the case. he was took weak for us to proceed with any treatment and wouldn't survive a GA, so we decided to PTS.

I would really get some x-rays done and get his teeth looked at extensively under a GA. when they are awake they can't see most of their teeth, I think only the first back ones. under a GA they can get a really good look without a wriggly bunny, and some x-rays will show how the teeth look/any problems in his jaw.

on the page one, you said "taking treats and eating his pellets and herbs without flinching." I think that could be your main issue. its hard, and he will not be happy at you, but you really need to stop giving him any treats and hardly any pellets. that way he has no choice but to eat hay, and eventually he will. you can also try lots of different hay, they each have their own preference. mixing in many different types and forage is really good for them in encouraging to eat.

honestly I think at the moment he isn't eating hay because he is getting pellet and treats, the good tasty things, rather than eating hay. if you offer a kid a lot of candy, they may try to wait out until they get candy rather than eating their main meals for instance, or throw a hissy fit for not getting candy. bunnies are much the same. treats and pellet are literally bunny candy. so you do really need to cut it out completely.

you can also almost completely cut out pellet, and offer science selective fibre first sticks instead. they're meant to be a supplement to pellet. they contain a lot of fibre and to claim to be good at wearing down teeth too.

bunnies aren't stupid enough to starve themselves to death, if you force them into eating hay, they will (unless they have an underlying health issue).

you will unfortunately be paying out for constant dentals until you "fix" his diet and get him eating a big amount of hay. along with that, not eating hay can cause a huge amount of health issues which I'm sure you know about. not only their teeth but it can cause tummy issues too such as GI stasis and having an over full tummy. they really need to eat hay and nothing can supplement that.

I think after you have been to the vets, completely change his diet. perhaps even speak to your vet about his diet also? they can give you lots of tips and pointers and help you change his diet and hopefully get him on the right track.

if it is just spurs, you might be able to correct it now by upping his hay.

good luck, lots of vibes for you and him.

hey, I'm really sorry to hear about Jimmy's health problems. I have been there myself with my bridge bun Snoopy. its so stressful and indeed expensive. at that time I did not have insurance either, which made it even more difficult. I would consider contacting petplan as they have covered dentals before. they say they do not cover it in their terms and conditions, but others have had some costs covered, medicine and anaesthesia for instance. if Jimmy has been for dental check ups (making sure his teeth are ok) etc sometimes they will accept. I would give it a go in all honesty.

sadly with teeth issues, it can be caused by multiple problems. hay is one, but so is breeding. due to breeding we make their heads smaller and rounder for the "cute" effect. this can cause their teeth being poorly aligned, roots to cause troubles, or even their teeth to grow into their jaw. sadly for my little boy, that was likely the case. he was took weak for us to proceed with any treatment and wouldn't survive a GA, so we decided to PTS.

I would really get some x-rays done and get his teeth looked at extensively under a GA. when they are awake they can't see most of their teeth, I think only the first back ones. under a GA they can get a really good look without a wriggly bunny, and some x-rays will show how the teeth look/any problems in his jaw.

on the page one, you said "taking treats and eating his pellets and herbs without flinching." I think that could be your main issue. its hard, and he will not be happy at you, but you really need to stop giving him any treats and hardly any pellets. that way he has no choice but to eat hay, and eventually he will. you can also try lots of different hay, they each have their own preference. mixing in many different types and forage is really good for them in encouraging to eat.

honestly I think at the moment he isn't eating hay because he is getting pellet and treats, the good tasty things, rather than eating hay. if you offer a kid a lot of candy, they may try to wait out until they get candy rather than eating their main meals for instance, or throw a hissy fit for not getting candy. bunnies are much the same. treats and pellet are literally bunny candy. so you do really need to cut it out completely.

you can also almost completely cut out pellet, and offer science selective fibre first sticks instead. they're meant to be a supplement to pellet. they contain a lot of fibre and to claim to be good at wearing down teeth too.

bunnies aren't stupid enough to starve themselves to death, if you force them into eating hay, they will (unless they have an underlying health issue).

you will unfortunately be paying out for constant dentals until you "fix" his diet and get him eating a big amount of hay. along with that, not eating hay can cause a huge amount of health issues which I'm sure you know about. not only their teeth but it can cause tummy issues too such as GI stasis and having an over full tummy. they really need to eat hay and nothing can supplement that.

I think after you have been to the vets, completely change his diet. perhaps even speak to your vet about his diet also? they can give you lots of tips and pointers and help you change his diet and hopefully get him on the right track.

if it is just spurs, you might be able to correct it now by upping his hay.

good luck, lots of vibes for you and him.
Thank you so much for being so informative.. What you say explains so much. I must admit I am guilty of the treat and pellets, more so because I worry he isn't eating enough and will starve. I will definatly cut them out.i have loads of fibrefirst sticks. He doesnt like them either but I guess if he isn't getting the pellets he will probably enjoy them more. As far as hay goes I have 8 bags all kinds all around the place. I bought some Timothy hay with carrot and apple today from pets at home and he ate some of it. Anything is worth a try, anything at all. What about herbs? Can he still have a small handful once a day. Oh he is insured with petplan I have just rang them and they are sending me a claim form as I haven't got a printer.. He had a check up when I first got them in July and his teeth were apparently fine then. The vet told me after his dental that his spurs were so minor and hehad no mouth sores or anything but they were bothering him. After his dental he was amazing then last Friday one week after his burr I noticed him starting to be more picky then today 2 weeks after his burr he is starting to move his mouth around and next comes the drooling. He had problems in October but then they fixed themselves for 2 months before he started again and then it just got worse.. I thought it was stomach problems at the time.. Sorry for the long post and thank you again x

Thank you so much for being so informative.. What you say explains so much. I must admit I am guilty of the treat and pellets, more so because I worry he isn't eating enough and will starve. I will definatly cut them out.i have loads of fibrefirst sticks. He doesnt like them either but I guess if he isn't getting the pellets he will probably enjoy them more. As far as hay goes I have 8 bags all kinds all around the place. I bought some Timothy hay with carrot and apple today from pets at home and he ate some of it. Anything is worth a try, anything at all. What about herbs? Can he still have a small handful once a day. Oh he is insured with petplan I have just rang them and they are sending me a claim form as I haven't got a printer.. He had a check up when I first got them in July and his teeth were apparently fine then. The vet told me after his dental that his spurs were so minor and hehad no mouth sores or anything but they were bothering him. After his dental he was amazing then last Friday one week after his burr I noticed him starting to be more picky then today 2 weeks after his burr he is starting to move his mouth around and next comes the drooling. He had problems in October but then they fixed themselves for 2 months before he started again and then it just got worse.. I thought it was stomach problems at the time.. Sorry for the long post and thank you again x

Oh and can I just say that if this does happen to be the result of the breeder trying to make him cute they failed miserably [emoji23], he is a strange looking bun, he has a bobble on the end of his nose, the vet said it was scar tissue from a bad bite.

How's Jimmy doing today?
Just the same. I'm going back to the vets on Monday with him even if he seems better because he has a habit of doing that as well. I have tried Timothy hay with carrot and apple today. He tried some and then just peed on it. Honestly.....[emoji4]

In terms of hay eating I greatly reduced pellet and fresh food intake to boost mine eating hay.
They're now pellet free but for long time they just got 5 pellets each and a handful of veg between them. Doing this meant they had to up the hay intake or go hungry.

Xray are a brilliant idea.

In terms of Petplan you can ask your vets to put in a claim for his last dental. This way you'll know if it's something they'll be able to cover for him or not and if you can put in a claim each time.
They do pay for my girls dentals, but obviously his situation may be different.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Oh he is insured with petplan and he had his teeth checked when I first rescued them in July.. I hope this goes in my favour. You hear so many conflicting things about this and insurance.. I have rang them and they are sending a claim form out. [emoji4]

I was in the run putting all the hay into hay bags and loads dropped on the floor and he was going around eating it off the floor. It's the rubbish hay for the litter trays. I am thinking maybe if I put it all over the shed floor instead of in hay racks and litter trays he might eat more, is this a possibility.
19e005e52777ae07918071ffcff24f6b.jpg

I was in the run putting all the hay into hay bags and loads dropped on the floor and he was going around eating it off the floor. It's the rubbish hay for the litter trays. I am thinking maybe if I put it all over the shed floor instead of in hay racks and litter trays he might eat more, is this a possibility.

Yes :)

19e005e52777ae07918071ffcff24f6b.jpg

I would definitely try any way possible he might eat more hay :)

Failing that, fibafirst sticks are a great source of fibre and also wear down the teeth :D

I feel like a bad bunny mum, I don't think I was putting enough hay down for them. I had it in 1 litter tray and a hay rack but I have now scattered the hay across the shed floor with a crumpled up fenugreek crunchie in it and they are living it, Norah sleeps flat out in it, they ate eating it (yes even Jimmy) unfortunately for me some naughty bunny Is peeing in it and staining there lovely new shed.i have bought some herbs and stuff off hay experts to sprinkle in it.. Don't know why I wasn't doing this before. It's so obvious.

I feel like a bad bunny mum, I don't think I was putting enough hay down for them. I had it in 1 litter tray and a hay rack but I have now scattered the hay across the shed floor with a crumpled up fenugreek crunchie in it and they are living it, Norah sleeps flat out in it, they ate eating it (yes even Jimmy) unfortunately for me some naughty bunny Is peeing in it and staining there lovely new shed.i have bought some herbs and stuff off hay experts to sprinkle in it.. Don't know why I wasn't doing this before. It's so obvious.

I dont believe anyone who claims that they get everything right all of the time when it comes to looking after Rabbits ! Today is the 20th Anniversay of the day I obtained my very first Rabbits. 20 years later I still feel as though I am floundering around in the dark a lot of the time !! Rabbits are Rabbits and that means we will never know all there is to know about what makes them tick. Almost all of us will freely admit that we learn something new every day and with the wisdom of hindsight we see how and where we have made mistakes. The mistakes I have made over the last 20 years would make your hair stand on end !

In summary caring for Rabbits = a never ending learning curve :D

I dont believe anyone who claims that they get everything right all of the time when it comes to looking after Rabbits ! Today is the 20th Anniversay of the day I obtained my very first Rabbits. 20 years later I still feel as though I am floundering around in the dark a lot of the time !! Rabbits are Rabbits and that means we will never know all there is to know about what makes them tick. Almost all of us will freely admit that we learn something new every day and with the wisdom of hindsight we see how and where we have made mistakes. The mistakes I have made over the last 20 years would make your hair stand on end !

In summary caring for Rabbits = a never ending learning curve :D
Thanks, that makes me feel better, these are my very first rabbits and I just ended up in this situation when I found Norah, I didn't know anything, I learnt everything from these forums and facebook. When I think back when Jimmy was in the animal shelter he had hay and straw from one end of his pen to the other. I am hoping this is where I have been going wrong. I guess time will tell now. Thank you

Good grief, we are all learning :D

Obviously there are experts on here (I am not one of them!) but believe me, even they can make mistakes :D

Back