• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Handling problems - update post 4

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
My new bunny, Bertie, is VERY difficult to pick up. I knew this when I took him on, but am a bit disheartened that progress is so slow. We were doing well until a nasty cut on my finger meant I had to take a week off from picking him up. The skin on my hands is very fragile so his nails scratch easily. I don't expect him to like cuddles but am concerned because I know it is not good for a rabbit to be impossible to handle. Any advice or shared experiences would be appreciated.

Last edited:
My bridge pair hated being picked up.I just had to chuck a towel over them and then scoop them up when I had to.Cotton gloves might help protect your skin.

I use positive training to get buns to willingly go into their carry case.
I also use the training to get them to stand up on a box for tummy checks.

It's easy to do, take it slow, don't force them into it and lots of treats... you can even use their pellet feed at dinner time to do training.

For emergency situations I throw a blanket over them, scoop them up and put them into their box. They soon forget about it and we just start training again.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Poor Bertie has had a setback. He was frightened of visitors at the weekend and got into a terrible state. Thankfully stress didn't send him into stasis, but I've had to put handling on hold until he is more settled.

Poor Bertie. Give him lots of time, months really, and then start doing what DP suggests. Good luck.

my Noah is quite same he doesn't let me pick him.
I try and sit next to him and stroke him quite alot. once he's laying down ice slowly out my hands under his front body so am holding both his hands and lift from his bum. I do this every so often and I've got him to sit on my lap at the moment. maybe that will help him trust you

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Back