Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonding Rolo and Nala

Default Bonding Rolo and Nala

Hello everyone!

My first post here and just wanted to say what a great site this is full of great knowledge and tips.

On Saturday we adopted our female rabbit Nala to provide a friend for our boy Rolo who we have had for 9 months.

Nala is 6 months old and is unspayed, she will be getting this done next Tuesday.

She is in her own cage at the moment in another room locked away from Rolo who is a free roaming house rabbit.

She seems to of settled in well and although quite shy she doesnít seem nervous.

When do you suggest putting Nalaís cage next to Rolos area so they can start the bonding process. We were told to have there cages side by side for at least two weeks before attempting a supervised meeting. Iím just scared that as she Hasnít been spayed yet this could affect things but at the same time donít want to keep her locked away for another week.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Rolo

Nala
    Last edited by Archie90; 22-01-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Wise Old Thumper

Hi, welcome to the forum Your rabbits are lovely, which is which?

I think you will get several different views on the issue you have raised, as people tend to have different methods of bonding. I presume it was the rescue who suggested that you put the cages side by side for two weeks before starting to bond?

Some people consider that having cages close like this is beneficial as the two rabbits can get used to each other's smells and also they can see each other. However, other people consider that to have rabbits close to each other like this can cause frustration as the rabbits can't physically get to each other. In your situation also you have the added complication that Nala will only just have been spayed and so will still be hormonal.

I would prefer to keep rabbits completely separate and then put them together in a neutral space. I would also attempt to keep them together from then, whilst obviously monitoring them closely for signs of aggression.

I hope it all goes well whatever you decide to do. I'm sure that others will contribute to this thread and give you their views.

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Hi, welcome to the forum Your rabbits are lovely, which is which?

I think you will get several different views on the issue you have raised, as people tend to have different methods of bonding. I presume it was the rescue who suggested that you put the cages side by side for two weeks before starting to bond?

Some people consider that having cages close like this is beneficial as the two rabbits can get used to each other's smells and also they can see each other. However, other people consider that to have rabbits close to each other like this can cause frustration as the rabbits can't physically get to each other. In your situation also you have the added complication that Nala will only just have been spayed and so will still be hormonal.

I would prefer to keep rabbits completely separate and then put them together in a neutral space. I would also attempt to keep them together from then, whilst obviously monitoring them closely for signs of aggression.

I hope it all goes well whatever you decide to do. I'm sure that others will contribute to this thread and give you their views.
    I too would keep them seperate but as Omi says, there are lots of bonding styles. I think Nala will be ok where she is for a few weeks. I'd recommend you give her a good while to fully recover post op - spays are a big proceedure & it could be a few weeks til she is fighting fit (hopefully she'll present as fully recovered much sooner)

Welcome to RU. Both of your rabbits are beautiful

Hi Omi

Thanks for the reply!

The lop eared is Rolo and the other Nala.

Yes it was the rescue that suggested that and had read a few things online saying the same as well.

Iím in two minds at what to do it seems there no right or wrong awnser just whatever works for you. Nala has settled in so well and tonight when opening her
    Cage has learnt how to hop out in and out of it and all had a full binky session so Iím hesitant in interrupting that to put her next to Rolo when sheís having fun where she is now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No advice over bonding but...wah! A tri coloured lop! My fav type of bunny.

Wise Old Thumper

Hello there and welcome. I also agree with Omi, also bear in mind Nala is in new surroundings and is going to be spayed on Tuesday. In view of this I would keep her calm and relaxed so she will be ready to undergo her operation. How old is she?

Hi everyone just an update.

So Nala had her operation and as healed up well. She has settled in so well and is an a absolute live wire, she loves jumping around everywhere!

We had let her and rolo meet through her cage and they seemed to get on well, constantly sniffing each other and both of them lying right by the fence.

Last night we had our first face to face bonding session. After some initial humping from Rolo, they didnít seem to do much except sit right next to each other hunched up. Iím guessing they were scared? I dropped some kale in and they shared that together no problem.

Eventually Nala started to move around and was grooming Rolo, however he didnít move and when Nala put her head down in order for the favour to be returned, he showed no interest in doing so. At that point I let them share some more kale together and called it quits for the night.

Is this Rolo trying to be the dominant one and playing hard To get or is it more that heís scared? Sorry for all the questions in Just Desperate for this to work!

Thanks

Lovely photos of the two of them together, when you said called it a night, did you put them back separately please? I am sure someone will be along soon with good advice.

Yes they were put back separately. Nala currently lives in our spare room and rolo as a free roam bunny has his area in our kitchen.

As soon as we did separate them almost straight away Rolo went straight for the spare room and was trying to get in!

Quote Originally Posted by Archie90 View Post
    Yes they were put back separately. Nala currently lives in our spare room and rolo as a free roam bunny has his area in our kitchen.

As soon as we did separate them almost straight away Rolo went straight for the spare room and was trying to get in!

Thank you. I have a newly neutered female to bond so am very interested in your thread.