• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need re-homing... but I refuse to re-home my buns!

0XBunnyta

Warren Scout
My plan was to move out in January but the only option for me was to move out buns in tow like, I don't care if its impractical I refuse there's ALWAYS houses that accept pets (just for reference, I have two mini lops).

Well its looking more like February now because i just can't find ANYTHING. It's ok dragging my feet and refusing to move out when I have options and I'm not at a tight deadline but i've been looking since October and in February is the start date of a new job in the place we are moving to, so this has now become a situation where we need a house, now, and refusing to go without the rabbits just isn't practical for functioning life.

Actually finding pet friendly accommodation is easy, like I can see why some people get angry when you say you're giving up a rabbit to move out to a non pet friendly place. Why not just move into a pet friendly one? Not rocket science. But ok, now being in the situation its really not. I find hundreds of pet friendly houses but I simply cant afford that one theirs no way, or its no parking (need a car for my job), or its a single bed (for two people??), or its in a really grotty area i'd be scared to live in, or there's no oven or washing machine (seriously?). Livable space that accepts pets is just not conveniently available. I don't know how when every student house we viewed was fine with it and I kept them for 2 years rented accommodation just fine but a single bedroom space isn't fine?

My method of getting them into the contract is just going in person to view houses that say no pets and beg the landlord in front of me to put down an extra pet deposit :lol: Viewings start this coming working week! Very excited but landlords beware, i'm out on a mission where you will not say no to me :lol:

WORST case scenario i'll be putting them into long term boarding for a year, i'm only renting to test the water with my OH to make sure we work before we commit to buying a house (that will house all my future hoards of bunnies because no one can tell me they're not allowed).

Questions- has anyone successfully done this before? For example when in uni halls? My parents looked after them then but that's because id miss out on an experience moving into pet friendly on my own instead of being with all the other first years. They're not wanting to do this again when I have the option to figure something out for myself, they had the same view for my second and third year which was fine because I did manage to arrange a place very easily. I don't know anyone that would offer to do it for free and so i'd have to pay boarding. Which brings me to my next question, if you have was it financially feasible?

Think this would potentially cause it more trouble than it's worth but was toying with the idea maybe someone on these forums wants a bun but can't buy one because they couldn't afford them or they're too long a commitment? Were i'd pay for all their supplies and vet care if they could provide the love and place to stay for a few months. Would be considerably cheaper than boarding which is looking to make a profit and I feel like we'd both benefit (low key terrified this option would involve someone refusing to give them back tho :lol:). Anyone done anything like that?

Other suggestions welcome :wave:

My plan was to move out in January but the only option for me was to move out buns in tow like, I don't care if its impractical I refuse there's ALWAYS houses that accept pets (just for reference, I have two mini lops).

Well its looking more like February now because i just can't find ANYTHING. It's ok dragging my feet and refusing to move out when I have options and I'm not at a tight deadline but i've been looking since October and in February is the start date of a new job in the place we are moving to, so this has now become a situation where we need a house, now, and refusing to go without the rabbits just isn't practical for functioning life.

Actually finding pet friendly accommodation is easy, like I can see why some people get angry when you say you're giving up a rabbit to move out to a non pet friendly place. Why not just move into a pet friendly one? Not rocket science. But ok, now being in the situation its really not. I find hundreds of pet friendly houses but I simply cant afford that one theirs no way, or its no parking (need a car for my job), or its a single bed (for two people??), or its in a really grotty area i'd be scared to live in, or there's no oven or washing machine (seriously?). Livable space that accepts pets is just not conveniently available. I don't know how when every student house we viewed was fine with it and I kept them for 2 years rented accommodation just fine but a single bedroom space isn't fine?

My method of getting them into the contract is just going in person to view houses that say no pets and beg the landlord in front of me to put down an extra pet deposit [emoji38] Viewings start this coming working week! Very excited but landlords beware, i'm out on a mission where you will not say no to me [emoji38]

WORST case scenario i'll be putting them into long term boarding for a year, i'm only renting to test the water with my OH to make sure we work before we commit to buying a house (that will house all my future hoards of bunnies because no one can tell me they're not allowed).

Questions- has anyone successfully done this before? For example when in uni halls? My parents looked after them then but that's because id miss out on an experience moving into pet friendly on my own instead of being with all the other first years. They're not wanting to do this again when I have the option to figure something out for myself, they had the same view for my second and third year which was fine because I did manage to arrange a place very easily. I don't know anyone that would offer to do it for free and so i'd have to pay boarding. Which brings me to my next question, if you have was it financially feasible?

Think this would potentially cause it more trouble than it's worth but was toying with the idea maybe someone on these forums wants a bun but can't buy one because they couldn't afford them or they're too long a commitment? Were i'd pay for all their supplies and vet care if they could provide the love and place to stay for a few months. Would be considerably cheaper than boarding which is looking to make a profit and I feel like we'd both benefit (low key terrified this option would involve someone refusing to give them back tho [emoji38]). Anyone done anything like that?

Other suggestions welcome :wave:
It's definitely tricky finding pet friendly places to rent, I've been there - it's a stressful nightmare.

I don't really have any tips as such but open rent is a website where I think they also have landlords that don't go through an agency. My last place was like that and through that site and the landlord was really nice and not so rigid because it was just him and I just put down more money for a deposit, with agency's unless it says pets allowed they don't tend to budge. Also I totally hear you about them being more pricey or just really grotty... [emoji38] I rented in some questionable places in South London just so I could have a furry. But I realise that's not everyone's kinda thing.

Can't even imagine what it would cost to board them for a year.... Could you get them fostered? I hope you figure something out x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Your idea about someone caring for them with all expenses paid is a good one.

When I lived in Wales I found plenty of places that would take me and my animals (two dogs, eight rabbits, three guinea pigs and various hamsters). They were all private landlords/ladies through word of mouth or ads in local shops.

Best of luck.

I think it's worth asking the landlords of places that say 'no pets', sometimes it's the agent that puts that there not the landlord. Our student housing contract was quite strict and said no pets, but when we told our landlord about wanting rabbits he was fine with it. I explained to him that they'd be enclosed at night and come out supervised during the day. I also said they'd be limited to the living room and garden only (rest of the house has carpet and landlords furniture), and as the living room has laminate floor and the furniture in there is all ours, there's nothing they can really damage. I think he was a bit shocked when he visited one day to find two big rabbits whose cage spans from wall to wall, and a big gerbil cage (we never told him we had gerbils :oops: ) but he was okay with it. I think he's just glad that he has a couple doing good degrees that want to live in his house for a few years, the average student inhabitant would cause a lot more damage than us and our pets :lol:

I have had house bunnies for many years and used to rent flats. I always took my bunnies with me, and if the land Lords ever came round I would say I was looking after them while my friend was in holiday. I have rented several no pet flats and nothing ever happened!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Update- we found one!

Every single one we booked cancelled on us, except for two. Of that 2, only one actually had the keys to let us into the house to view it (genius). The one left we actually got to view was a vile apartment. After a lot of stress (and tears on my end about it all :oops:) we found an apartment we could view one hour before we left the area to go home, problem was it was strictly no pets.

So after more serious talks with the OH and me being a miserable :censored: about it, not wanting to move without them, the landlord just let us have them with no battle after asking?! It honestly just fell into place one hour before we were due to go home, after taking the week of work to see all these wonderful places that just fell through. Never thought something so perfect would come along and i'm over the bloody moon. Best part is, it's not only pet friendly, but it has a second bedroom we don't need so the landlord is taking out the bed so they can have their own room :D

Anyone want to share their bunny room pictures? :wave:

Update- we found one!

Every single one we booked cancelled on us, except for two. Of that 2, only one actually had the keys to let us into the house to view it (genius). The one left we actually got to view was a vile apartment. After a lot of stress (and tears on my end about it all :oops:) we found an apartment we could view one hour before we left the area to go home, problem was it was strictly no pets.

So after more serious talks with the OH and me being a miserable :censored: about it, not wanting to move without them, the landlord just let us have them with no battle after asking?! It honestly just fell into place one hour before we were due to go home, after taking the week of work to see all these wonderful places that just fell through. Never thought something so perfect would come along and i'm over the bloody moon. Best part is, it's not only pet friendly, but it has a second bedroom we don't need so the landlord is taking out the bed so they can have their own room :D

Amazing! Wahooo better get packing xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Glad you found somewhere.

I moved 5 times when we were renting and never got turned down because of my rabbits - I was completely honest that I had 16 of them.

Update- we found one!

I was just going to reply and say yes, my guys spent a year being fostered at Tuckerbunnies when I was doing my 1st year at uni. Maysie and Mike have been like an aunt and uncle to me over the years and I could never thank them enough.

BUT this sounds ace and I'm so glad you got something sorted! :D

Back