• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

and then they were (hopefully ) three

Vimto and Cuthbert are still squaring up to one another but without quite as much interest in one another. If I put something new in the boys house and then let Vimto out the boys do not bother. Vimto has started periscoping for treats as they do - even when she is in her run and they are playing out. It all seems a bit much for Dillon who has started taking himself off upstairs to sit in my reading chair. The chair is usually in the sunshine and rocks - Dillon seems to like this.

Dillon on the reading chair by mark andra, on Flickr

We havent had a binky from Vimto and her litter training is a little slow. She does not wee as much as the boys, (frequency not volume) She will not eat the Science plan that she was on at BARC - much preferring the boys excel.

That's an adorable pic of Dillon on the reading chair :love:

Lovely pics ❤️❤️❤️

I have a feeling Vimto is not a lady to take any nonsense and she'll soon be swinging her handbag and keeping those boys in line!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today we had a binky from Vimto - she forgot that she was in front of the boys and had a mad do. Dillon is still happily eating hay from her run with her eating at the other side. Cuthbert is sort of ignoring her now - if she runs around his run he chases her but if there is food in the run he will choose that over watching Vimto.
Today Vimto has had the blankets out of the boys run put into hers and she didnt not mind at all, just sat on them. We are regularly swopping toys between the runs but not litter trays yet. Slowly slowly we go.

One nice thing is that in a morning when I come down all three now periscope for a snuff and a treat - so lovely.

I am struggling to get her to eat dark greens, anyone any ideas how I can get her to eat more greens please?

Today we had a binky from Vimto - she forgot that she was in front of the boys and had a mad do. Dillon is still happily eating hay from her run with her eating at the other side. Cuthbert is sort of ignoring her now - if she runs around his run he chases her but if there is food in the run he will choose that over watching Vimto.
Today Vimto has had the blankets out of the boys run put into hers and she didnt not mind at all, just sat on them. We are regularly swopping toys between the runs but not litter trays yet. Slowly slowly we go.

One nice thing is that in a morning when I come down all three now periscope for a snuff and a treat - so lovely.

I am struggling to get her to eat dark greens, anyone any ideas how I can get her to eat more greens please?

Will she eat any herbs / alternative greens? I'd not worry too much, I expect she'll join in once she is bonded with the boys. It'll be foraging season & there will be loads of lovely stuff for them to try

Will she eat any herbs / alternative greens? I'd not worry too much, I expect she'll join in once she is bonded with the boys. It'll be foraging season & there will be loads of lovely stuff for them to try

Already been raiding the garden for bits - just the new shoots from sheltered parts of the garden.

Day 12

We have removed the sheet between the two runs now with no ill effects. Vimto is making me sad at the moment as she waits by her door in a morning when I let the boys out, she sits so patiently waiting for me to open her door too. Dillon ignores her completely and Cuthbert only gives her a passing glance. Vimto still is not confident when she does come out to play and only stays in the lounge ready to dash back through her door if something spooks her. We are swopping bowls, toys and blankets between the runs with no ill effects and no over zealous marking.

I have two questions please if anyone can help:-

1. What constitutes an neutral space - all the bunnies have access to the same area albeit in two groups so is this neutral (rather than new space)?

2. I am trying to feed them next to each other, ie just a layer of chicken wire between them, the bowls are put together but I would like to put shared hay between them without blocking their view of one another - anyone any ideas how I can do this please?

Day 12

We have removed the sheet between the two runs now with no ill effects. Vimto is making me sad at the moment as she waits by her door in a morning when I let the boys out, she sits so patiently waiting for me to open her door too. Dillon ignores her completely and Cuthbert only gives her a passing glance. Vimto still is not confident when she does come out to play and only stays in the lounge ready to dash back through her door if something spooks her. We are swopping bowls, toys and blankets between the runs with no ill effects and no over zealous marking.

1. What constitutes an neutral space - all the bunnies have access to the same area albeit in two groups so is this neutral (rather than new space)?

2. I am trying to feed them next to each other, ie just a layer of chicken wire between them, the bowls are put together but I would like to put shared hay between them without blocking their view of one another - anyone any ideas how I can do this please?

Sorry, I haven't any ideas regarding your Q2. Regarding Q1, my understanding of a neutral space is an area where none of the rabbits have been before. Even if you can't detect it, any area where a rabbit has had access to could have scent marks, little nibbles etc. These are all done to provide a feeling that the area belongs to that rabbit. I agree that in your situation, where all rabbits have at some time had access to it, the situation could be different in how that would affect any bonding attempts.

Sorry, I haven't any ideas regarding your Q2. Regarding Q1, my understanding of a neutral space is an area where none of the rabbits have been before. Even if you can't detect it, any area where a rabbit has had access to could have scent marks, little nibbles etc. These are all done to provide a feeling that the area belongs to that rabbit. I agree that in your situation, where all rabbits have at some time had access to it, the situation could be different in how that would affect any bonding attempts.

Thank you so in the case of bonding this should be new space - thank you.

Thank you so in the case of bonding this should be new space - thank you.

In my view, yes, a new space will eliminate any unnecessary impediment to a successful bond. In my view there are two issue here, i.e. what constitutes a neutral space and how much a slightly less than completely neutral space will affect a bond. The first you can determine; the second you can't.

In my view, yes, a new space will eliminate any unnecessary impediment to a successful bond. In my view there are two issue here, i.e. what constitutes a neutral space and how much a slightly less than completely neutral space will affect a bond. The first you can determine; the second you can't.

Thank you, I still have a few weeks before my three meet face to face but I do have to plan and worry about things in advance.

Day 12

Q1- I agree with what Omi has said :thumb:
Q2- you could feed hay in litter trays, big bowls or boxes either side of the mesh.

Thank you for your help and support.

I have poked hay through the chicken wire so that it can be eat on both sides of the wire - so yesterday was lots of nose to nose feeding without undue fussing by either the boys or Vimto.

Daft as it sounds I am getting more and more convinced that Vimto is sad, I know I have only had her since the 20th of last month but she does not play, she does not seem interested in the enrichment/forage/treats/toys in her run, she just sits and watches the boys. Vimto does snuggle in for a cuddle if you pick her up (she does not seem to mind picking up) but will not come to us on her own. Once on your lap will happily sit there for ages chomping treats or head butting for a stroking.
When out for playtime she goes to the far end of the room, furthest from her door and sits next to the boys run.

Day 18 - Had a change around of the set up with new hay racks being placed outside both houses - this is so that the bunnies can eat together but still with the chicken wire between them.

Yesterday when the boys were having a snooze under the dining table, I locked the baby gate and let Vimto out - she had a wonderful time exploring their house (just for a few minutes) the boys did not react at all when they returned to their home (with Vimto back in her own house by this time)

If the bunnies just hop about calmly then I live in a peaceful house, but if one of them is having a mad do, zooming around, then the other bunnies want to chase.

Dillon has developed a naughty habit - he keeps trying to pull the dog bed out from under jess (the 16 year old pointerx) She just gets out of her bed and lets him get on with it - this habit needs to stop but no is not a word Dillon likes. Yesterday I sat out of the way and everytime he did it I threw a pair of balled up socks at him!

Cuthbert is grumpy - he is moulting, he loves the tubes we have and I wondered if the tubes stroked his fur down as he zooms through them.

Vimto is seeming a little less sad, we have bought her a new bed with higher sides, and re arranged her house so she can sit against the boys wire. When she was at BARC she played with plastic balls. I have bought her some but she does not seem to like them. Can anyone recommend a good plastic rabbit ball please?

Thank you for listening to me "rabbit on" :lol:

I wouldn't view Vimto as sad because she shows little interest in things other than the boys. I think she just finds watching them more interesting. In fact she possibly played with a ball at the rescue because she was bored :)

I wouldn't view Vimto as sad because she shows little interest in things other than the boys. I think she just finds watching them more interesting. In fact she possibly played with a ball at the rescue because she was bored :)

I hadn't thought of it that way, thank you.

Back