• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sicky bun

Pip&Milo

Warren Scout
Hi everyone. Haven’t been on in a while but hoped for some get well vibes and advice from people who know bunnies. Milo isn’t well. He isn’t eating and is lethargic. I took him to the vets and when I went to put him in his Carrier he was laying in a puddle of wee. The vet looked him over. He was trembling and flinches when she touches his Tum. Tummy was also gurgling. She says the back of his mouth is inflamed. She said she thinks it’s his teeth but can only see one very small spur. I’m not convinced but then I’m not a vet. She didn’t have an explanation for him weeing himself other than it being painful to move. I’ve been sent home with metacam baytril-another medicine I can’t remember the name of and critical care. I’m basically just looking for reassurance that this is everything we can do. She says if he isn’t better by Monday they will have to put him under anaesthetic which terrifies me! Any advice would be greatly appreciated xxx

Hi everyone. Haven’t been on in a while but hoped for some get well vibes and advice from people who know bunnies. Milo isn’t well. He isn’t eating and is lethargic. I took him to the vets and when I went to put him in his Carrier he was laying in a puddle of wee. The vet looked him over. He was trembling and flinches when she touches his Tum. Tummy was also gurgling. She says the back of his mouth is inflamed. She said she thinks it’s his teeth but can only see one very small spur. I’m not convinced but then I’m not a vet. She didn’t have an explanation for him weeing himself other than it being painful to move. I’ve been sent home with metacam baytril-another medicine I can’t remember the name of and critical care. I’m basically just looking for reassurance that this is everything we can do. She says if he isn’t better by Monday they will have to put him under anaesthetic which terrifies me! Any advice would be greatly appreciated xxx

I assume the Vet ruled out an obstruction within Milo's GI tract ? Is Milo still passing faeces ?

Did the Vet check his blood glucose level ? This can be a useful tool as part of the work up in cases of Gut Stasis.

Did the Vet take Milo's temperature ? I am assuming that the Vet felt there was evidence of active infection given that the Vet has prescribed an antibiotic (Baytril)

I expect the medication given that you cant remember the name of may have been Metoclopramide (AKA Emeprid/Vomend).

There is some additional information on here

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

I hope that Milo shows some signs of improvement soon. If he has not done so by tomorrow morning personally I would want him to be re-assessed by the Vet, I would not be happy to leave things until Monday.

Hi jacksjane thanks for replying. As far as I’m a at she didn’t take his temp unless she did it when she took him to get the nurse to hold him while she checked his teeth. There had been normal amount Of poo.
She didn’t do a blood glucose test either. I feel like she just assumed it was teeth and left it at that.
I agree about not waiting till Monday. I don’t really feel like I was taken seriously. I asked about him weeing and laying in it she said “it might be a uti but I’d treat it the same so it doesn’t really make a difference”

Hi jacksjane thanks for replying. As far as I’m a at she didn’t take his temp unless she did it when she took him to get the nurse to hold him while she checked his teeth. There had been normal amount Of poo.
She didn’t do a blood glucose test either. I feel like she just assumed it was teeth and left it at that.
I agree about not waiting till Monday. I don’t really feel like I was taken seriously. I asked about him weeing and laying in it she said “it might be a uti but I’d treat it the same so it doesn’t really make a difference”

Did she actually test the wee ?

It's good that Milo is passing poo, that makes it unlikely that he has a GI tract obstruction. If he does actually have a UTI then that could cause the symptoms you describe. The lack of eating being due to bladder discomfort and him feeling generally rubbish due to infection. He may also have a sore mouth if the Vet noted signs on inflammation in his mouth.

How is he doing now ?

Did she actually test the wee ?

It's good that Milo is passing poo, that makes it unlikely that he has a GI tract obstruction. If he does actually have a UTI then that could cause the symptoms you describe. The lack of eating being due to bladder discomfort and him feeling generally rubbish due to infection. He may also have a sore mouth if the Vet noted signs on inflammation in his mouth.

How is he doing now ?

She didn’t test wee as that was at home on the floor. He seems to have perked up a little. He ate a bit of banana and a small handful of hay. He’s still flinching when I touch his tum and is still pretty lethargic.
She said the inflammation was at the back of his mouth/ throat so I wondered if maybe he’s managed to nibble something he shouldn’t (for the record I can’t think what?! I’m pretty obsessive about making sure there’s nothing about) but she still thought teeth.
I’m so relieved he’s perked up it’s been a draining day 😞

She didn’t test wee as that was at home on the floor. He seems to have perked up a little. He ate a bit of banana and a small handful of hay. He’s still flinching when I touch his tum and is still pretty lethargic.
She said the inflammation was at the back of his mouth/ throat so I wondered if maybe he’s managed to nibble something he shouldn’t (for the record I can’t think what?! I’m pretty obsessive about making sure there’s nothing about) but she still thought teeth.
I’m so relieved he’s perked up it’s been a draining day ��

Hopefully with pain relief he will continue to eat a little for himself. Fresh herbs can sometimes tempt a poorly Rabbit to eat. Mine are especially keen on coriander.

Hi there :wave:

Just caught up with your thread this morning.

How's Milo doing today?

From what you and the vet have said, it sounds like a bit of teeth and perhaps urinary tract infection too. Baytril will help with any possible urinary tract issue so that's good.

Did the vet give Metacam for the mouth inflammation? That would be the best thing for that, and also for the possible pain of UTI.

Hope that helps :)

Hi everyone, we’ve seen a huge improvement today! Back to eating still pooing ok and much brighter ! Wouldn’t have known anything was wrong! So grateful we got to him straight away! I can’t bear to think what would have happened if we hadn’t got him straight to the vet!

Hi everyone, we’ve seen a huge improvement today! Back to eating still pooing ok and much brighter ! Wouldn’t have known anything was wrong! So grateful we got to him straight away! I can’t bear to think what would have happened if we hadn’t got him straight to the vet!

Excellent, so pleased that Milo is doing much better now. Well done for taking such prompt action and getting him to the Vet :D

I am so glad to hear this :D

It's due to your prompt action getting him to the vet, which I would do so myself, so well done you as well :D

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately the big issue is he’s not my friend after forcing all the meds down his neck! The third meds was cisapride by the way x

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately the big issue is he’s not my friend after forcing all the meds down his neck! The third meds was cisapride by the way x

Oh dear, it's always the way :) I hope he will be well on the way to feeling much better soon x

Back