• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding pen

Omi

Wise Old Thumper
Could I have some suggestions/recommendations for size and make of an inside bonding pen please :)

I like bigger rather than smaller so something like 8 x 4 or larger.

so do I :)

I tried small space with JB&M for a week but theres only so long you can sit under a table in puddles of rabbit wee no matter how extensive your alcohol reseves are:lol:

Do you have an area in an outside building you could use?

I tried small space with JB&M for a week but theres only so long you can sit under a table in puddles of rabbit wee no matter how extensive your alcohol reseves are:lol:

Do you have an area in an outside building you could use?[/QUOTE]

Sadly not and also I don't fancy sleeping outside in this weather, even with a thick sleeping bag.

I was thinking of ordering one of those puppy pen things, putting it in a bedroom that's kept unheated, siting it on top of some rubber sheeting (or similar) as it would be on carpet, putting puppy pads on top and covering it with a sheet or towels etc. I was not intending to add a litter tray.

Do you have an area in an outside building you could use?[/QUOTE]

Sadly not and also I don't fancy sleeping outside in this weather, even with a thick sleeping bag.

I was thinking of ordering one of those puppy pen things, putting it in a bedroom that's kept unheated, siting it on top of some rubber sheeting (or similar) as it would be on carpet, putting puppy pads on top and covering it with a sheet or towels etc. I was not intending to add a litter tray.

that all sounds good. And a huge mound of hay

LMAO XD

Puppy pens are great, we use ours indoors and out. The place I got them from used to sell them at just over £30 inc. postage and packing, but their last one in stock is £200 :( I'll paste the link for reference. I got the one two sizes down, 91cm high.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOG-PUPP...hash=item3383d652de:m:mmSpVNj0N5QaYPxyh3B2chw

We really like them: we can move them around, prop them against walls, clip them together...! Ours have been outside for a couple of winters now and they're getting rust spots but nothing too detrimental in our awfullly damp microclimate! Buns can move them by flopping against them but haven't been able to pick them up :thuimb:

I’m intrigued as to why you had to sit under a table all that time :lol:

I’m using a large dog crate so that Millie can’t jump out! Tried puppy pen panels and she kept trying to jump out and crashing against the top of them as she could see the open top but couldn’t jump high enough :(

I think puppy pens are great, I did my quad bond in an xxl dog crate then attached run panels to it to extend the space, but the dog crate was awkward to get to them. I used newspaper on the floor with wood pellet cat litter on top. Wood pellets roll a very long way on laminate when they get kicked out of a pen :shock::lol: so I tie wrapped very thick cardboard to it to deflect the worst of it.

Good luck with it all :thumb:

Hurrah! [emoji3]

Well as far as bonding pens go, I also found puppy panels very useful for their flexibility. You can make the area really small just using four panels if you need to, or extend out to a larger size. When I was bonding and needed to start increasing space, I used the panels as a fence rather than as a self contained pen and slowly moved them back. But I had to sandwich the ends between furniture to stop them being pushed aside by the bunnies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think puppy pens are great, I did my quad bond in an xxl dog crate then attached run panels to it to extend the space, but the dog crate was awkward to get to them. I used newspaper on the floor with wood pellet cat litter on top. Wood pellets roll a very long way on laminate when they get kicked out of a pen :shock::lol: so I tie wrapped very thick cardboard to it to deflect the worst of it.

Good luck with it all :thumb:

Thanks for the tip about the cardboard :thumb: When you have a situation, where pieces of hay which have fallen off my clothing inside the house, is not tolerated, I think I have to make sure that there is as little mess as possible :lol:

I’m intrigued as to why you had to sit under a table all that time :lol:

because I didn't buy a bonding pen :lol: I needed the table legs to hold bunny bedding in place as went litterboxless & it seems my bunnies wee a lot

Oh, so it was bunny wee ....;)
LMAO XD

Oh, a thing about pens I remembered: depending on flexibility requirements, you might prefer the 'hinged' type or the 'rod' type. We prefer the hinges as we can modify them and they're really sturdy but rods might provide better flexibility with removing panels...? My OH can step over the 91cm panels, but I think that requires being over 6'2" (he's 6'4").

LMAO XD

Oh, a thing about pens I remembered: depending on flexibility requirements, you might prefer the 'hinged' type or the 'rod' type. We prefer the hinges as we can modify them and they're really sturdy but rods might provide better flexibility with removing panels...? My OH can step over the 91cm panels, but I think that requires being over 6'2" (he's 6'4").

Thanks, that's very useful :) I'll watch out for that when I order one. I'm certainly not over 6'2" :lol:

Good afternoon!
could you explain how are you using the bonding pens?
I thought bigger was better and I was planning to use all garden so that they just got closer when comfortable and if they chase, that have space to run or hide and stay "safe".
but now I'm reading that some people use smaller areas. I thought that in smaller areas stress would be bigger and they might fight more that in large open spaces.
Do you stay inside that pens to separate them or to be the "controler"?
can you help me with this?
thank you so much!
Pat

Back