• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Asking for positive vibes for Evan

Oh gosh - the local wild rabbits must be popular with your neighbours! ;)

Your Calico and Rowan are very cute. I hope Rowan and Calico are doing well.

This morning made me very optimistic about Evan since he came begging for more greens and actually pulled one right from my hand. His littermate, Dash, gets in on the act. Dash got so many greens the last few days that now his droppings are larger and wetter oval poos than he usually has (he has a genetic issue so he never has round, hard poos- they only get closer to normal due to his having a restricted diet of grass hay and greens.

This morning made me very optimistic about Evan since he came begging for more greens and actually pulled one right from my hand. His littermate, Dash, gets in on the act. Dash got so many greens the last few days that now his droppings are larger and wetter oval poos than he usually has (he has a genetic issue so he never has round, hard poos- they only get closer to normal due to his having a restricted diet of grass hay and greens.

I'm so glad to hear this :D

It sounds as though Evan really is doing considerably better now :) Hopefully the improvement will continue xx

Thank you for your compliment about my bunnies. They are well thanks. Calico didn't have an appetite at breakfast this morning but by the time I'd got back from my swim she was eating again. They both seem to lose interest in food from time to time. Like you, I'm just so aware of what is their "normal" behaviour that I immediately worry when that changes.

Pleased Evan is continuing to make progress. The anxiety while he was unwell must have worn you out! :)

Thank you for your compliment about my bunnies. They are well thanks. Calico didn't have an appetite at breakfast this morning but by the time I'd got back from my swim she was eating again. They both seem to lose interest in food from time to time. Like you, I'm just so aware of what is their "normal" behaviour that I immediately worry when that changes.

Pleased Evan is continuing to make progress. The anxiety while he was unwell must have worn you out! :)

Even though your being so observant allows you to take prompt action when required, it can often be difficult to know if the bunny just needs more time, like your Calico this morning, or if the bunny needs prompt vet care and medication. I am glad Calico improved quickly.

Evan has been off meds for a few days; and he has been off fluids for two days. Even without supplemental sub Q fluids he still drinks very little water which is typical for Evan. Even though he is peeing and likely gets fluids from his greens, I am worried his digestive system is not getting enough liquid, so I am now dissecting a couple of his fresh poos to make sure they are not too dry. I wonder what he thinks when I am examining his poos? He is running for his greens and eating his hay; so he has forgiven me for the jabs, critical care and meds.

Even though your being so observant allows you to take prompt action when required, it can often be difficult to know if the bunny just needs more time, like your Calico this morning, or if the bunny needs prompt vet care and medication. I am glad Calico improved quickly.

Evan has been off meds for a few days; and he has been off fluids for two days. Even without supplemental sub Q fluids he still drinks very little water which is typical for Evan. Even though he is peeing and likely gets fluids from his greens, I am worried his digestive system is not getting enough liquid, so I am now dissecting a couple of his fresh poos to make sure they are not too dry. I wonder what he thinks when I am examining his poos? He is running for his greens and eating his hay; so he has forgiven me for the jabs, critical care and meds.

I am glad to hear that Evan is stable at the moment. I know just what you mean about worrying re poor fluid intake in a Rabbit with a chronic gut problem. I am encountering exactly that with Eliza at the moment.

Yes, I wonder too - I can picture him turning his head to watch you dissect :)

I am glad he's feeling better, though understand your concern re the drinking ..

I am glad to hear that Evan is stable at the moment. I know just what you mean about worrying re poor fluid intake in a Rabbit with a chronic gut problem. I am encountering exactly that with Eliza at the moment.

I am sorry to hear Eliza is causing you to worry too. With Evan, I am wondering if I should give him some sub Q fluids every two or three days to make sure his guts stay hydrated. Once I get the fluid needle under his skin; he sits quite well. Yesterday, I saw one of Evan's fresh poos was quite dry even though he is still peeing.

Yes, I wonder too - I can picture him turning his head to watch you dissect :)

I am glad he's feeling better, though understand your concern re the drinking ..

Thanks. I don't want to overreact; yet he became ill so suddenly and severely that I don't want to take chances.

I am sorry to hear Eliza is causing you to worry too. With Evan, I am wondering if I should give him some sub Q fluids every two or three days to make sure his guts stay hydrated. Once I get the fluid needle under his skin; he sits quite well. Yesterday, I saw one of Evan's fresh poos was quite dry even though he is still peeing.

I'd ask the Vet about doing that, SQs may be necessary to manage Evan's chronic condition xx

I think this might be a good idea, at least in the short term to make sure you don't have a recurrence.

I really hope he can stay well.

I think this might be a good idea, at least in the short term to make sure you don't have a recurrence.

I really hope he can stay well.
Thank you. Evan and his brother Dash came running to me this morning begging for more dandelion greens.

Just how much do bunnies drink anyway??? I seldom see my bunnies drinking. Aren't bunny poos supposed to be quite dry? It is when the aren't that I get more concerned.

As for dissecting Evan's poos ....... ha! not much worse than my counting Calico's poos or checking that the joined together ones are being held together than no more than her excess fur from grooming.....

I know I'm quick to worry when I notice a change in the bunnies' behaviour but I'm getting braver all the time. I just zap them with a dose of Infacol (simeticone) and go for my morning swim so I can't fuss over them for a few hours. After all, Infacol can't do any harm ... it's been thoroughly tested on babies............ :lol:

Just how much do bunnies drink anyway??? I seldom see my bunnies drinking. Aren't bunny poos supposed to be quite dry? It is when the aren't that I get more concerned.

As for dissecting Evan's poos ....... ha! not much worse than my counting Calico's poos or checking that the joined together ones are being held together than no more than her excess fur from grooming.....

I know I'm quick to worry when I notice a change in the bunnies' behaviour but I'm getting braver all the time. I just zap them with a dose of Infacol (simeticone) and go for my morning swim so I can't fuss over them for a few hours. After all, Infacol can't do any harm ... it's been thoroughly tested on babies............ [emoji38]
I asked my vet this and he said 100ml per kg of body weight - I gave my 3kg boy 300ml and he finished it by the end of the day.. So I'm hoping it wasn't meant to be over 24 hours [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I know I'm quick to worry when I notice a change in the bunnies' behaviour but I'm getting braver all the time. I just zap them with a dose of Infacol (simeticone) and go for my morning swim so I can't fuss over them for a few hours. After all, Infacol can't do any harm ... it's been thoroughly tested on babies............ :lol:

Evan's littermate, Dash, who is only a little larger than Evan, drinks 4-6 times the amount of water Evan drinks. I also noticed that Evan was drinking less than his own normal for several days before he became ill. He drank a bit more the last couple days, so I am hoping he can stay hydrated.

I asked my vet this and he said 100ml per kg of body weight - I gave my 3kg boy 300ml and he finished it by the end of the day.. So I'm hoping it wasn't meant to be over 24 hours [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

It can vary based on how much moisture they get in their greens/hay, the temperature, health factors, etc. I become concerned when there is change in a bunny's habit.

Back