• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Asking for positive vibes for Evan

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
It is 5:30 am and I am becoming more worried about Evan with each hour he does not poo. He is such a sweet little bunny (he only weight about 0.75 kg with a short tiny small bone structure, he is the smallest full grown dwarf rabbit I ever had) and he normally likes to pose and get petted.

at 10:30 am yesterday I checked him as I was giving he and his brother some fresh hay. His hay from the night before looked like it was not/barely touched and he left about 1/3 of the dandelion greens I gave him about 12 hours earlier. He also did not have any poo in his box which I cleaned the night before and he did not drink his fresh water. When I cleaned his box the night before he seemed a bit light, but he had eaten much of the hay from that morning and he came to me to get his evening dandelion greens which he was eating quite quickly.

Therefore, I was surprised to see he still had some of the greens left the next morning. I called the vets, and while waiting for his appointment time I gave him some medicam, cisapride, and fluids. Several hours later at the vets, the vet said his cecum was 'doughy' but he did not have much food/material elsewhere. He told me I can add the metoclopramide, keep up the fluids and other meds, and syringe feed if he did not eat. He is peeing following the sub Q fluids.

His brother Dash is a megacolon bunny who makes larger, oval poos and has had cecum issues before. Evan makes normal round and small poos. Both are on a no pellet diet with only hay and greens. They both eat a lot for their small size.

Even though I syringe fed him early evening and at night; I still do not have any poos. He just got more critical care, more fluids, and more cisapride and I can feel material on the upper area of his left side below his ribs. He is such a small bunny so I am very worried. Please send us some vibes for poo. Any additional advice would be appreciated too.

Last edited:
It is 5:30 am and I am becoming more worried about Evan with each hour he does not poo. He is such a sweet little bunny (he only weight about 0.75 kg the smallest full grown dwarf rabbit I ever had) and he normally likes to pose and get petted.

at 10:30 am yesterday I checked him as I was giving he and his brother some fresh hay. His hay from the night before looked like it was not/barely touched and he left about 1/3 of the dandelion greens I gave him about 12 hours earlier. He also did not have any poo in his box which I cleaned the night before and he did not drink his fresh water. When I cleaned his box the night before he seemed a bit light, but he had eaten much of the hay from that morning and he came to me to get his evening dandelion greens which he was eating quite quickly.

Therefore, I was surprised to see he still had some of the greens left the next morning. I called the vets, and while waiting for his appointment time I gave him some medicam, cisapride, and fluids. Several hours later at the vets, the vet said his cecum was 'doughy' but he did not have much food/material elsewhere. He told me I can add the metoclopramide, keep up the fluids and other meds, and syringe feed if he did not eat. He is peeing following the sub Q fluids.

Even though I syringe fed him early evening and at night; I still do not have any poos. He just got more critical care, more fluids, and more cisapride and I can feel material on the upper area of his left side below his ribs. He is such a small bunny so I am very worried. Please send us some vibes for poo. Any additional advice would be appreciated too.

Oh goodness I am sorry to hear that Evan is poorly. Did the Vet do a blood glucose ? This can give some additional information regarding whether there were to be any possibility of an obstruction.

http://veterinaryrecord.bmj.com/content/170/26/674

Sending lots of vibes for the little chap xx

Oh goodness I am sorry to hear that Evan is poorly. Did the Vet do a blood glucose ? This can give some additional information regarding whether there were to be any possibility of an obstruction.

http://veterinaryrecord.bmj.com/content/170/26/674

Sending lots of vibes for the little chap xx

Thank you for your ultra quick response.

No Jane. I never even thought to ask. If he had the blood glucose would the glucose being out of range cause any other symptoms? I need some anatomy help to know if the material I am feeling is in his cecum which the vet said was doughy or elsewhere.

It is 5:30 am and I am becoming more worried about Evan with each hour he does not poo. He is such a sweet little bunny (he only weight about 0.75 kg with a short tiny small bone structure, he is the smallest full grown dwarf rabbit I ever had) and he normally likes to pose and get petted.

His brother Dash is a megacolon bunny who makes larger, oval poos and has had cecum issues before. Evan makes normal round and small poos. Both are on a no pellet diet with only hay and greens. They both eat a lot for their small size.

Oh I'm sorry to hear this :( Poor wee lad, there's nothing of him.

I would consult the vet with regards to eliminating the possibility of a blockage. Here's the rationale behind blood glucose testing ...

Taken from Lecture Notes emailed to me by Frances Harcourt Brown

Blood glucose is measured in mmol/ml (millimoles/litre)

Normal: 4-8 mmol/ml

2-4 mmol/ltr – needs food – rabbit is experiencing gut stasis
If less that 2 mmol/ltr, call vet

8-15 mmol/ltr Rabbit is stressed, but can stay at home
More than 15mmol/ltr, less than 20 – Call vet, start to worry…
More than 20 mmol/ltr, needs surgery.

In my experience more than 20 doesn't always need surgery, but certainly to be taken very seriously.
Stress can also seriously elevate blood glucose levels.

Wishing Evan loads of get well vibes and hugs for you xx

Thanks JJ and MM for the information and vibes. I hope I can get a little rest before the vets opens again.

Thank you for your ultra quick response.

No Jane. I never even thought to ask. If he had the blood glucose would the glucose being out of range cause any other symptoms? I need some anatomy help to know if the material I am feeling is in his cecum which the vet said was doughy or elsewhere.

If what you are feeling is in the upper left quadrant of the abdomen then it wont be his cecum.

0WHMFRD.gif

With regards to blood glucose, if it were to be significantly elevated then initially there may not be any other obvious symptoms from those seen in Gut Stasis .An elevated blood glucose reading gives some indication of liver function

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22659922

I hope little Evan poos soon. I think a blood glucose would be useful. Lots of vibes for you both

Thanks to everyone who sent vibes. Evan and I appreciate your positive thoughts.

After less than 2 hours of rest, I called the vets and got an appointment for this morning when I did not see any poos and he felt full all over. Vet examined and felt matter throughout his GI system. We decided to do the blood glucose test and x-rays. The X-rays showed a lot of material and gas throughout his GI system except for the last part of his colon/rectum. The blood glucose had a value that calculates to 6.882 mmol/L which is well below the level for an obstruction and in the range of GI stasis.

Evan was quite a good patient and he was very good for his exam, X-rays, and blood work. It was another day below freezing, so I was glad that my spouse drove to work in my 17 year old car with the heater that takes longer to heat up than it takes to drive to most destinations , so Evan could ride to the vets in my spouse's nice warm car.

Evan keeps looking at and sniffing his hay and greens likes he wants to eat. I keep tempting him with fresh greens and fresh hay. I will give him more critical care, fluids and meds and hope he can move the material along and he will make me some poo and begin eating on his own.

Thanks to everyone who sent vibes. Evan and I appreciate your positive thoughts.

After less than 2 hours of rest, I called the vets and got an appointment for this morning when I did not see any poos and he felt full all over. Vet examined and felt matter throughout his GI system. We decided to do the blood glucose test and x-rays. The X-rays showed a lot of material and gas throughout his GI system except for the last part of his colon/rectum. The blood glucose had a value that calculates to 6.882 mmol/L which is well below the level for an obstruction and in the range of GI stasis.

Evan was quite a good patient and he was very good for his exam, X-rays, and blood work. It was another day below freezing, so I was glad that my spouse drove to work in my 17 year old car with the heater that takes longer to heat up than it takes to drive to most destinations , so Evan could ride to the vets in my spouse's nice warm car.

Evan keeps looking at and sniffing his hay and greens likes he wants to eat. I keep tempting him with fresh greens and fresh hay. I will give him more critical care, fluids and meds and hope he can move the material along and he will make me some poo and begin eating on his own.

I hope that his meds will get things moving again very soon. Caring for a Rabbit with a chronic gut problem is extremely stressful isn't it xx

Back