• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have two free-range rabbits - how will I know if one stops eating?

Haha. We call Pip a ninja...

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
I have a netherland dwarf and now your convo is making me wonder...He is a show bunny and he gets 1/3 cup (75grams?) of pellets a day (which is what I was told to do by a show winner/breeder). It takes him all day to eat it, tho. I've tried giving him hay and he has no interest in it. He's not interested in treats or anything. Is that just a picky eater? A hay snob? Or should I be shoving hay in front of him all day?

All of my other bunnies will eat all day on hay and are super excited to get their pellets at supper.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I have a netherland dwarf and now your convo is making me wonder...He is a show bunny and he gets 1/3 cup (75grams?) of pellets a day (which is what I was told to do by a show winner/breeder). It takes him all day to eat it, tho. I've tried giving him hay and he has no interest in it. He's not interested in treats or anything. Is that just a picky eater? A hay snob? Or should I be shoving hay in front of him all day?

All of my other bunnies will eat all day on hay and are super excited to get their pellets at supper.

Hey.

Yes we were told to feed them that much each when we got them, but they didn't eat hardly any hay. They also kept getting gassy tummies. So after wonderful advice on here we slowly reduced their pellets and they started eating more hay. They now get 30g a day to share, so 15g each.

We also introduced forage to their diet, which they totally love.

I guess they only have teeny tummies, so if they are full of pellets they cant fit any hay in!

They are quite picky with, which hay they like. They seem to only like long thick hay, they currently love green oat hay. Hmmmm

Last edited:
I feed mine small amounts throughout the day, different bits of food.
They always come running. If they don't I start to monitor them for illness

Hey.

Yes we were told to feed them that much each when we got them, but they didn't eat hardly any hay. They also kept getting gassy tummies. So after wonderful advice on here we slowly reduced their pellets and they started eating more hay. They now get 30g a day to share, so 15g each.

We also introduced forage to their diet, which they totally love.

I guess they only have teeny tummies, so if they are full of pellets they cant fit any hay in!

They are quite picky with, which hay they like. They seem to only like long thick hay, they currently love green oat hay. Hmmmm

I will look for different hay! Will he be able to stay within his weight range? This is the first time showing so I'm a little overwhelmed. I want him to be happy and healthy, but I'd really like him to do well at show. I'll start backing off pellets this morning...thanks!

I've had him about a month now and he's still skittish. Is that normal for the breed, or just my guy?

I will look for different hay! Will he be able to stay within his weight range? This is the first time showing so I'm a little overwhelmed. I want him to be happy and healthy, but I'd really like him to do well at show. I'll start backing off pellets this morning...thanks!

I've had him about a month now and he's still skittish. Is that normal for the breed, or just my guy?

Have a look at the hay experts they do a sample pack of 6 different hays to try.

I have no idea about showing and what the weight range is for Nethies, but both of mine have stayed around the same weight.

Just reduce the food really slowly you don't want to upset his tummy by doing a sudden diet change.

He will be much healthier eating more hay because it keeps the gut moving and wear down his teeth. It also keeps them occupied/entertained for longer, because they have to forage for tasty hay rather than just sit by a bowl eating.

And yes it's a breed thing Nethies are generally skittish. I've had Archie and Pip for 2 years now, they are much more relaxed but they still freak out whenever someone knocks on the door or the microwave pings. Teehee. They are certainly not a cuddly bun, but they have wonderful big personalities and get into all sorts of mischief.

Just spend lots of time with him and let him approach you. Try reading a book nearby and see if he comes over to investigate.

It's quite clear when one bunny isn't well. Generally the behaviour gives it away e.g. Phoebe becomes clingy and Daphne becomes more distant and fidgety.

Mine are pellet free so don't get any pellets at all however they do get 3 different types of hay at all times, loads of forage and fresh veg & herbs.

The hay experts do a pack of 6 samples which helps identify which hay bun prefers.
www.timothyhay.co.uk also seems to be a very popular hay - even my girls that don't like timothy hay will eat this one

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi all - a wee update!

I'm now giving my little buns half as much pellet food as before, and they are going wild for their hay! I'm going to have to get an additional hay holder to put in their dining room when I'm away overnight - previously there'd be no danger of the hay running out, but now it needs replenishing every evening. And of course now they are much more excitable in the morning when I dish up the pellets, so I think I would definitely notice now if one of them was off-colour.

In reply to Shauna ("I've tried giving him hay and he has no interest in it. He's not interested in treats or anything. Is that just a picky eater? A hay snob? Or should I be shoving hay in front of him all day?")

My bunnies are most definitely hay snobs! They won't touch the cheap stuff, only the more expensive kind with flower petals in it. So I'd definitely try your fussy bunny on different types of hay. My buns also turn their noses up at lots of cheap treats, preferring fresh greens, but make an exception for banana-flavoured biscuits.

Have a look at the hay experts they do a sample pack of 6 different hays to try.

I have no idea about showing and what the weight range is for Nethies, but both of mine have stayed around the same weight.

Just reduce the food really slowly you don't want to upset his tummy by doing a sudden diet change.

He will be much healthier eating more hay because it keeps the gut moving and wear down his teeth. It also keeps them occupied/entertained for longer, because they have to forage for tasty hay rather than just sit by a bowl eating.

And yes it's a breed thing Nethies are generally skittish. I've had Archie and Pip for 2 years now, they are much more relaxed but they still freak out whenever someone knocks on the door or the microwave pings. Teehee. They are certainly not a cuddly bun, but they have wonderful big personalities and get into all sorts of mischief.

Just spend lots of time with him and let him approach you. Try reading a book nearby and see if he comes over to investigate.

I agree with this !

Hi all - a wee update!

I'm now giving my little buns half as much pellet food as before, and they are going wild for their hay! I'm going to have to get an additional hay holder to put in their dining room when I'm away overnight - previously there'd be no danger of the hay running out, but now it needs replenishing every evening. And of course now they are much more excitable in the morning when I dish up the pellets, so I think I would definitely notice now if one of them was off-colour.

In reply to Shauna ("I've tried giving him hay and he has no interest in it. He's not interested in treats or anything. Is that just a picky eater? A hay snob? Or should I be shoving hay in front of him all day?")

My bunnies are most definitely hay snobs! They won't touch the cheap stuff, only the more expensive kind with flower petals in it. So I'd definitely try your fussy bunny on different types of hay. My buns also turn their noses up at lots of cheap treats, preferring fresh greens, but make an exception for banana-flavoured biscuits.

Hi Shona. Nice to hear from you again :)

Hay snobs :lol: a lot of buns on here like the hay from timothy hay.co.uk :thumb:

Just twigged this is a UK site - my buns' hay of choice is Woodlands Small Animal Timothy Feeding Hay 300g from Pets at Home.

Back