• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help bunny head moving side to side

We're on day 9 no improvement with the rolling,
she's starting making this weird noise I've only ever heard her make that before when she used to get stressed from being picked up. So I'm guessing she's getting stressed out a lot as she's doing it quite a lot especially when rolling around, she's started nipping she's not normally a nipper. I'm not sure she's trying to tell me it's time to let her go or what I'm really worried that she's in pain or just generally not happy at the moment. I'm still having to syringe feed in the morning and night. She is eating veggies still but no hay and pellets. I'm just not sure I'm doing the right thing for her or if she's just ****** off.

Is she on any pain relief? Metacam?

We're on day 9 no improvement with the rolling,
she's starting making this weird noise I've only ever heard her make that before when she used to get stressed from being picked up. So I'm guessing she's getting stressed out a lot as she's doing it quite a lot especially when rolling around, she's started nipping she's not normally a nipper. I'm not sure she's trying to tell me it's time to let her go or what I'm really worried that she's in pain or just generally not happy at the moment. I'm still having to syringe feed in the morning and night. She is eating veggies still but no hay and pellets. I'm just not sure I'm doing the right thing for her or if she's just ****** off.

Bless her. What sort of 'noise' is it that she is making ? Have you any thoughts about asking the Exotics Vet if changing the abx to an injectable Penicillin might be a good idea ?

Well I assessed the situation again as she's much perkier now sat up and throwing her toy around digging well trying to in between her rolls. She seems to make the noise when she's doing a longer roll where she seems to get stuck so to speak and this is when the noise starts so I think she starts to panic/ stress. I think she's frustrated too as she likes to do what she wants to do and when she has attitude and that seems to be coming back also.

Well I assessed the situation again as she's much perkier now sat up and throwing her toy around digging well trying to in between her rolls. She seems to make the noise when she's doing a longer roll where she seems to get stuck so to speak and this is when the noise starts so I think she starts to panic/ stress. I think she's frustrated too as she likes to do what she wants to do and when she has attitude and that seems to be coming back also.

Good to hear she is a bit better now. Its such a horrible condition to manage as its impossible to gauge progress, recovery times & its difficult to witnes your bun looking so helpless. Although my bunny was a severe case I didn't have to syringe feed but herbs for her did cost more than my food bill for a good while. I so wish it was later in the year with more readily avaiable forage which is a tasty way to get fibre in. lack of pellet eating & hay eating is not unusual, nor is no progress / continued rolling at 9 days.

Norma, Ralph & you are often in my thoughts. I had a bunny Ralph many years ago :love:

Awww thank you joey and boo that's really kind.

She's doing a little better since being moved into a make shift space of a cardboard box padded with cushions with a metal playpen as she kept escaping. She's chewed a hole in the box and has learnt to wedge herself between the cushions and props her head in the hole! She's also getting to grips with recovering from rolling over quicker. Still not really eating hay or and pellets are still no go. So I'm unsure if I still need to syringe feed her the recovery care plus. She's eating her veggies just fine and drinking fine too. X

She's doing a little better since being moved into a make shift space of a cardboard box padded with cushions with a metal playpen as she kept escaping. She's chewed a hole in the box and has learnt to wedge herself between the cushions and props her head in the hole! She's also getting to grips with recovering from rolling over quicker. Still not really eating hay or and pellets are still no go. So I'm unsure if I still need to syringe feed her the recovery care plus. She's eating her veggies just fine and drinking fine too. X

It's good to hear that she seems to be coping a bit better at the moment. With regards to the syringe feeds, if all she is eating for herself is Veg then I would keep a few daily syringe feeds going.

What is her poo output like ? Is she managing to eat her cecotrophs ?

She sounds like she's learning to cope well - very inventive :thumb:

I would continue a couple of daily feeds - how many mls do you manage to get into her at a sitting?

I think she is now because I haven't seen any of them as when she wasn't too good she wasn't able to get them so I had to get them and give them to her but I haven't seen any so I'm assuming she's managed to eat them. Her output varies in size some a big some are smaller but they aren't black like when she first got ill they are becoming more golden.

Ok will continue to syringe feed. I feed her in the morning and before bed with the syringe she's getting between 10-20ml per syringe feed.

I think she is now because I haven't seen any of them as when she wasn't too good she wasn't able to get them so I had to get them and give them to her but I haven't seen any so I'm assuming she's managed to eat them. Her output varies in size some a big some are smaller but they aren't black like when she first got ill they are becoming more golden.

Ok will continue to syringe feed. I feed her in the morning and before bed with the syringe she's getting between 10-20ml per syringe feed.

You really are doing a brilliant job caring for her. It sounds as though she has probably sussed out a way to eat her cecotrophs. I expect you check her bum a couple of times a day as she may squish a few of them. The two syringe feeds will help get a bit of fibre into her and this will help her GI tract motility xx

That's a really good amount of syringe feed you are managing to get into her - well done, it's not easy, I know :)

You are doing a brilliant job and I am sure she appreciates all the effort you're putting in :thumb:

So a little update we are on day 17 and Norma is doing well she's now using a litter box again and is running around. Now I have different kind of problem I've started to let her out of her temporary living space to run around with the other bun Ralph but he is chasing and aggressively grunting at her, one minute he's fine grooming her the next he's chasing her off more chasing than grooming do I need to put them into another room and bond them again?

Just to add he's fine with her when he goes into the pen what she's staying in, seems like he's got used to having that space to himself how do I rectify this?

It might mean he's happy to be back with her. They haven't been apart for very long so I would give them another day to settle unless she is getting upset by him chasing her. You could give her an hour on her own to rest if you feel she needs this. So pleased she is feeling better.

So a little update we are on day 17 and Norma is doing well she's now using a litter box again and is running around. Now I have different kind of problem I've started to let her out of her temporary living space to run around with the other bun Ralph but he is chasing and aggressively grunting at her, one minute he's fine grooming her the next he's chasing her off more chasing than grooming do I need to put them into another room and bond them again?

I am pleased to hear how well Norma is doing :)

I would be wary about leaving them together if Ralph is chasing her. Stress will impede her recovery, especially from the vestibular symptoms. Personally I would allow them to be side by side and if you are with them then some direct contact may be OK. But personally I would not want Noma to have to fend off any chasing or dominant behaviour from Ralph at all. I would leave any attempt at a full rebonding until Noma has completed her full course of treatment.

Just my opinion, I am sure you will have other replies saying the exact opposite.

Best wishes for whatever you decide to do and I hope that Norma's progress continues x

So pleased to hear about the huge improvement.

Don't forget to do a full deep clean of anything that may have had urine contact - on days 21 and 28 of panacur treatment. It will help to break the cycle of the parasite being able to re-infect your rabbits.

Hi there, and I am so pleased to hear that Norma is doing so well :)

Regards Ralph, I would only let them together when they are calm and not when he chases her. So any time together ought to be supervised to make sure there's no stress. And probably very short :)

Thanks she's doing really well, still not eating enough hay or any pellets which is a pain but other than that she's doing well the tilt is only slight and the rolling around has stopped too so I'm pleased with her progress

I haven't left them alone together just been watching them, they will go back to separate living spaces again when I need to go out. He seems to be calming down a bit they have been lying down together, eaten together as soon as he starts chasing I stop him as I don't want Norma stressing out!

Yes I will do the deep clean on days 21 and 28.

Back