• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help bunny head moving side to side

Have you been able to find any bramble leaves? They will improve the fibre content of her diet and get her guts working more normally. They grow all over the place but the leaves are spikey, so take some small scissors and a tough bag. Anything above knee height should be clean enough to use without worry.

Otherwise, cabbages or similar are useful winter veg, along with any fresh herbs (except chives). Mine also like the leafy bits of celery (but they can eat it all). Things that smell more strongly tend to be more popular with poorly bunnies.

Absolutely this. Hence fresh herbs are often popular, especially if you cut them up a bit immediately before serving them. Doing so releases the aroma even more.
It is normal for a Rabbit with any vestibular symptoms to have a markedly reduced appetite for some time. If you can imagine feeling dizzy and generally 'bleurgh' a lot of the time then you'll know that eating may not be high on your list of priorities. You are doing a great job with caring for Norma, dont be too discouraged by the occasional set back. This really is the 'normal' pattern in circumstances such as Norma's.

Ok glad to hear this is classed to be "normal" with the condition. I'm determined to get her back to her happy bossy bouncy self.
I'll chop the herbs up then see if that helps!
Thanks all this info is helping so much.

I have not found any bramble yet I'm taking the dog to the woods tomorrow so will have a look there sure to be some there!
Ok great I'll try cabbage, she has had some spinach and came running to that not long ago so hopefully she is slowly regaining appetite. I'll pop to the shops and get some cabbage, some additional herbs and celery!
Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

Take some gloves and secateurs if you go searching for brambles! They are usually good for perking up appetite and always good for digestion :)

Yes her appetite should perk up slowly and the herbs I use are coriander, dill, parsley and methi (this is fresh fenugreek). I often crush the stems and wave it in front of their noses so that they get the smell of the lovely fresh herbs :D

Yes that sounds like an excellent idea haha.

I've just handed her a plate of some springs leaves and dill,parsley and celery leaves and she ate most of it! Just need to work on getting her to eat hay as she has no interest what so ever in that. Do i reduce the amount of liquid recovery I give her she's eaten more today? Sorry for all the questions!

Yes that sounds like an excellent idea haha.

I've just handed her a plate of some springs leaves and dill,parsley and celery leaves and she ate most of it! Just need to work on getting her to eat hay as she has no interest what so ever in that. Do i reduce the amount of liquid recovery I give her she's eaten more today? Sorry for all the questions!
You could grow some grass :)

Only takes 3 days to grow then you just give it a hair cut like in my picture - just something else that might tempt her :)
b28f351d37b2accdb88fe9c4bec491e9.jpg

Oh sorry also if she's just eaten veggies I'd still feed critical care if she started eating hay I'd reduce amount a little personally xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I would maintain the critical care feeds until she is eating properly for herself. If / when her poo is back to normal size and quantity, you could try cutting them down slightly, but check for poo output and increase it again if needed. I tend to go for syringe feeding a little longer than they may need, rather than cutting down too early and risking gut issues. It also depends on how well you are both coping with the extra feeds.

Oh god I was hoping I could stop the Critical feeding we are not getting on well with it she gets very stressed out when being picked up ready for feeding I've tried doing on the floor but no luck, she takes her meds fine but she doesn't like the liquid feed at all!
I'm hoping her hay intake will gradually get more it's very little at the moment.Her poo has grown in size and the amount has increased to what it was a few days ago, but size is not to what it was before she fell ill.

Thanks I'll try growing some grass too. X

Oh god I was hoping I could stop the Critical feeding we are not getting on well with it she gets very stressed out when being picked up ready for feeding I've tried doing on the floor but no luck, she takes her meds fine but she doesn't like the liquid feed at all!
I'm hoping her hay intake will gradually get more it's very little at the moment.Her poo has grown in size and the amount has increased to what it was a few days ago, but size is not to what it was before she fell ill.

http://m.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/snacks_supplements/natural_plant_snacks/grass/169924

Here's the link xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

If she gets very stressed with the CC feeds then it may be counterproductive to continue them. Maybe you could reduce their frequency initially and see how she goes. Every time she is picked up it is likely to make her feel very dizzy, so having a break from that may actually mean that she eats more for herself x

Can you change the liquid feed to something she does like?

My rabbits don't care for recovery food, so I liquidise their normal pellets with some Ella's Kitchen (or other) organic baby food and that seems to go down well.

My lot seem to prefer bananas and blueberries :)

I did add Ella's kitchen to the recovery food and she took it better but not much! I think I'll try her normal pellets with it might be more successful. I didn't know if it was worth getting some fibreplex for her.
She ate a while plate of leaves and herbs this morning and have been attempting hay today so she's making slow progress with her eating but she seems to have gone backwards as she's been loosing her balance and rolling along with weeing frequently but not in her litter box so a bit of a mixed day really

I did add Ella's kitchen to the recovery food and she took it better but not much! I think I'll try her normal pellets with it might be more successful. I didn't know if it was worth getting some fibreplex for her.
She ate a while plate of leaves and herbs this morning and have been attempting hay today so she's making slow progress with her eating but she seems to have gone backwards as she's been loosing her balance and rolling along with weeing frequently but not in her litter box so a bit of a mixed day really

Oh bless her. Nuggets rather than recovery mix may well work - it did for my boy. Many bunnies love fenugreek so a sprinkle of powder may help - my three adore it. I feel like we are permanently sending you to the shops - or the woods - but did you get any brambles? If you get stuck I'd be happy to send you some in the post.

It can be hard seeing how slowly our little head tilt ones get better, but every little step forward is progress :D

Oh bless her. Nuggets rather than recovery mix may well work - it did for my boy. Many bunnies love fenugreek so a sprinkle of powder may help - my three adore it. I feel like we are permanently sending you to the shops - or the woods - but did you get any brambles? If you get stuck I'd be happy to send you some in the post.

I have found this to be useful too :)

rockabillyriri, if you have joined the FB group you will probably have read that many, many head tilt Rabbits have episodes of relapse, especilaly in the early stages of their illness. Try not to be too disheartened by this, although I know it is very upsetting to witness. As Norma progresses she may well learn to cope better with her balance disturbance. You are doing so well with all of the care you are giving her, I am sure that she will fight as hard as she can to get better xx

Fenugreek powder ...... as you know, mine must be the odd ones out in turning up their noses at it :lol:

Thanks, she's not too good today we are off to the vets again in a bit as she's been rolling all over the place it's very distressing to watch I'm hoping I can get something for her as this is horrendous poorly little thing. She's still eating and goes back to trying to get into mischief but I'm very worried x

Thanks, she's not too good today we are off to the vets again in a bit as she's been rolling all over the place it's very distressing to watch I'm hoping I can get something for her as this is horrendous poorly little thing. She's still eating and goes back to trying to get into mischief but I'm very worried x

It really is such a rocky road. My girl couldn't stand at all for 6 weeks .I hope the vets visit goes well. Maybe discuss anti dizziness drugs. vibes for Norma & you

Sending lots more vibes for her. The Vet may discuss the risks v benefits of trying a Corticosteroid injection once Noma's most recent dose of Metacam has cleared xx

Sorry to hear this. It's disheartening for you to watch, I know.

I am glad she is still eating. Has your vet suggested anything else to try?

Back