• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits in for spaying/neutering tomorrow

Thanks for all the messages,

I went out to them after work and they seemed ok, even when I picked them up to give them their medication. There were lots of droppings in their hutch, most of them looked normal, but I did notice there was one bit that looked different to the others (more like loose sausage).

I wondering weather to try and encourage them in to their run by feeding them in there tomorrow or just leaving them in their hutch until they have had their check up on Saturday. What would others do? X

I would leave it to them to decide when they want to come out into their run. They are doing very well in that they are eating and pooing. They will also be nice and snug in their hutch. I'm sure that they will decide to come out soon.

I hope that their post-op checks go well on Saturday.

Thanks for all the messages,

I went out to them after work and they seemed ok, even when I picked them up to give them their medication. There were lots of droppings in their hutch, most of them looked normal, but I did notice there was one bit that looked different to the others (more like loose sausage).

I wondering weather to try and encourage them in to their run by feeding them in there tomorrow or just leaving them in their hutch until they have had their check up on Saturday. What would others do? X

I would leave them be to rest. It's a very major operation and they need their energies for healing and recovery :)

In addition, it's meant to be colder tomorrow than it is today, and I would want them to be warm and using their calories to heal rather than to keep warm.

How are your does doing today?

You are very wise to go ahead with spaying them even though they are both female. Hope your husband has come round to the idea!

Hi,

They seemed a bit move lively this morning when I went out to feed them.

In fact they even felt well enough to escape their hutch after the tunnel that attaches it to their run became detached in the wind (despite me going out to check it at 3 this morning, by 7 it had blown out of place. I must have looked a right sight chasing rabbits round the garden at 7 by the light of a camping light :lol:. For the time being we have bricked up the hole in the hutch and I'm hoping if my other half hasn't gone out to work early, he's managed to fix it, otherwise Ill have do it when it get in (so Ill be doing it be twilight).

I'm still not sure he's come round to the idea of them both needing to be done, but it has been and we cant go back.

Hi,

In fact they even felt well enough to escape their hutch after the tunnel that attaches it to their run became detached in the wind (despite me going out to check it at 3 this morning, by 7 it had blown out of place. I must have looked a right sight chasing rabbits round the garden at 7 by the light of a camping light :lol:. For the time being we have bricked up the hole in the hutch and I'm hoping if my other half hasn't gone out to work early, he's managed to fix it, otherwise Ill have do it when it get in (so Ill be doing it be twilight).

I'm still not sure he's come round to the idea of them both needing to be done, but it has been and we cant go back.

I’m glad they are recovering ok. I’d be a bit concerned that the tunnel was rabbit/predator proof if the wind has blown it out. You can buy tunnels and connectors from runaround which I’ve found very good and secure:thumb:

Hi,

Good news :)

You've certainly done the right thing :thumb:

Hi,

It is good to hear your bunnies are well enough for a good chase!

Back