Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lovely natured male rabbit - should we neuter?

Default Lovely natured male rabbit - should we neuter?

Hi all, we have a lovely natured 18 month old male bun (Mr P) who we rescued a few months ago. We were given a voucher to cover the cost of him being neutered which expires shortly. Heís a very couthy tame little guy who loves coming over to us when we open his cage. We put off any thoughts of having him neutered for several months just so that he could settle in to life with our family. Now, we are thinking of getting him a little pal in the Spring/Summer to keep him company. It would be a neutered rescue female bun. Should we get him neutered or leave him alone? He has a cuddly soft rabbit toy which he has humped a few times though... Our concern is that he might just pester the little lady which we introduce him to. Any advice please?
    Gone to Rainbow Bridge
    Teeny 10/11/16, Joey 11/11/16, Weeny 16/11/16
    Sleep well my babies- we will never forget you.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Special pets who have joined our family:
    Smudge (our hamster) December 2016
    Mr P (our rescue bun) August 2017 🐇🐰
    Noodles & Doodles (both rescue lady buns) June 2018 🐰🐇

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by jojosmum View Post
    Hi all, we have a lovely natured 18 month old male bun (Mr P) who we rescued a few months ago. We were given a voucher to cover the cost of him being neutered which expires shortly. He’s a very couthy tame little guy who loves coming over to us when we open his cage. We put off any thoughts of having him neutered for several months just so that he could settle in to life with our family. Now, we are thinking of getting him a little pal in the Spring/Summer to keep him company. It would be a neutered rescue female bun. Should we get him neutered or leave him alone? He has a cuddly soft rabbit toy which he has humped a few times though... Our concern is that he might just pester the little lady which we introduce him to. Any advice please?
    If you are going to get him a friend then I'd definitely get him neutered. An entire Buck is very likely to constantly pester a Doe and thus both of them would be extremely stressed.

Unless a Buck is to be used for Breeding or has any health problems which would make a GA very risky I would always opt to have them neutered

Twickenham Veterinary Surgery- A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Practice in SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

Keep up to date with the RHD2 situation in the UK. This highly respected Facebook page provides accurate and up-to-date information. Both the RWAF and some Rabbit Savvy Vets contribute to the page
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/

Hi all, we have a lovely natured 18 month old male bun (Mr P) who we rescued a few months ago. We were given a voucher to cover the cost of him being neutered which expires shortly. Heís a very couthy tame little guy who loves coming over to us when we open his cage. We put off any thoughts of having him neutered for several months just so that he could settle in to life with our family. Now, we are thinking of getting him a little pal in the Spring/Summer to keep him company. It would be a neutered rescue female bun. Should we get him neutered or leave him alone? He has a cuddly soft rabbit toy which he has humped a few times though... Our concern is that he might just pester the little lady which we introduce him to. Any advice please?

Hi there

A Rescue will not normally rehome one of their animals to be with an unneutered partner, unless there's a medical reason.

An unneutered male rabbit may also pester a female, and either make her life more difficult, or even make the bonding more difficult. Neutering doesn't remove the humping altogether, but it significantly reduces it

Are you concerned his lovely personality will change?
    Reliable and up to date info on RHD2:
    An extensive and comprehensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...RHD2-July-2018

Hi both and thanks for your replies.

Mighty Max, we’re just wondering if it’s possible for him to be nice with us (his humans!) but terrible with any lady buns he’s introduced to if he doesn’t have the op. We don’t want to put him through any op without careful consideration.
    Gone to Rainbow Bridge
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi both and thanks for your replies.

Mighty Max, weíre just wondering if itís possible for him to be nice with us (his humans!) but terrible with any lady buns heís introduced to if he doesnít have the op. We donít want to put him through any op without careful consideration.

You're right to consider carefully any op for a rabbit. I was discussing the risks with my vet compared with cats and dogs, and although it's much safer than it used to be, it's not to be undertaken lightly.

That said ... find a vet who you trust. One who has a good track record and who sees a lot of rabbits

It's not that he would be terrible with the ladies but he may well try and push his advances on them and that would be unwanted for a spayed doe. He would only be following his instincts and hormones, but that would still make it a potentially stressful situation.

After having him neutered, wait 6/8 weeks before introducing them, and his hormones will have settled down.

Good luck whatever you decide

Thanks Mighty Max. I’m actually just off the phone to our vets - have booked Mr P’s op for next month. Then we’ll give it some time before we go looking for a wee pal for him.
    Gone to Rainbow Bridge
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Mighty Max. Iím actually just off the phone to our vets - have booked Mr Pís op for next month. Then weíll give it some time before we go looking for a wee pal for him.

You're welcome

Wise Old Thumper

I think you've done the right thing. Even though he is lovely with you, as soon as he sees a female rabbit, spayed or un, he would do the natural thing!

Hi all, just a wee update....

Mr P had his op yesterday. Poor little man, I think it’s been a shock for him, but he’s doing ok at home. Just keeping a close eye, trying to encourage him to eat a bit more.His wound’s looking clean and he’s managing to poo, which is good. Giving medicine through a syringe has been difficult - we wrapped him up tight in a blanket but he still managed to escape and then charged along the sofa!! We caught him though and he got his dose of meds, mixed with some apple juice (tip from the vet) to help it go down easier!

Tonibun, hope that Hatter’s op goes well tomorrow.
    Gone to Rainbow Bridge
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all, just a wee update....

Mr P had his op yesterday. Poor little man, I think itís been a shock for him, but heís doing ok at home. Just keeping a close eye, trying to encourage him to eat a bit more.His woundís looking clean and heís managing to poo, which is good. Giving medicine through a syringe has been difficult - we wrapped him up tight in a blanket but he still managed to escape and then charged along the sofa!! We caught him though and he got his dose of meds, mixed with some apple juice (tip from the vet) to help it go down easier!

Tonibun, hope that Hatterís op goes well tomorrow.

Sounding good - well done you

Love the image of him charging along the sofa - I'm experiencing that alongside you