• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Honey booked for incisor removal

lucy24

Mama Doe
It's booked for next Wednesday eek Im going to use Gill at windlesham village vets . I'm so nervous! But I feel it's the right thing to do. Any advice for aftercare? What to expect etc...?

It's booked for next Wednesday eek Im going to use Gill at windlesham village vets . I'm so nervous! But I feel it's the right thing to do. Any advice for aftercare? What to expect etc...?

Gill is a very RS Vet and I am sure that she will give you great advice about aftercare. She will no doubt provide pain relief to give Honey for a few days after surgery and she may prescribe a course of antibiotics too.

Honey may need some syringe feeds over the first couple of days, Gill will advise you about this and she may also prescribe some prokinetics (gut motility drugs).

I expect that Gill will arrange a check up appointment for Honey a few days later.

Some reading FYI

http://www.vetinst.com/skin1/admin/UserFiles/File/JS PDF/RABBIT INCISOR EXTRACTION - 012197CR.pdf

It is scary, I know, but Gill is a vet i would definitely trust :)

I hope you managed to find out some costs and details?

My lovely vet has written a blog about incisors and gives a few pointers as to what to expect afterwards ...

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbit-dental-problems-part-2-malocclusion-incisors/

Gill will give you everything you need, for sure :) Pain relief, antibiotics if needed etc ..

Gums will be sore for a bit, but many rabbits bounce back remarkably quickly. After any op involving a GA you may have to syringe feed for a bit to keep the gut working.

I have had very many rabbits having to have their incisors removed so do feel free to PM any time if I can help :wave:

Thank you. I've read those articles just now. They are really interesting. She's going in to see Gill tomorrow to have a check over and burr them until the op next week. As there's no spaces until the but obviously want her to be comfortable until then. Will update!

At least she's indoors so will be watched extremely closely and given a fuss

Thank you. I've read those articles just now. They are really interesting. She's going in to see Gill tomorrow to have a check over and burr them until the op next week. As there's no spaces until the but obviously want her to be comfortable until then. Will update!

At least she's indoors so will be watched extremely closely and given a fuss

I love our toothless bun community :love:

I look forward to reading how she gets on :thumb:

I fostered a rabbit whose incisors had been removed and he got on fine, he was a lovely bunny, he has gone to a home now. When he was with us he still ate hay and grass, he used to pull it with his gums rather than bite. We found we had to cut any veggies up into smaller pieces so he could take them whole, otherwise he wasn't able to bite off pieces and then eat those. We didn't have him long enough to see him moult but his fur was always tidy so he must have cleaned himself well. I did keep an eye on his back end as without the teeth they can't drag the fur between the teeth to wash. Something to be aware of :)

Well we brought her home and she has been eating and pooping ever since. Just got to give her pain meds and antibiotics until her 7 day check. Very pleased!

Back