• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

fluid on lungs- any thoughts please?

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
hi there
I have a bunny who has been disabled for 2 years now and has recently started making a snorting noise. She was initially given bisolvin and baytril but this didnt improve the noise. The vet then said he could hear fluid on her lungs and we started her on diretics and has had 2 depocilling injections, but still no improvement.

She had an xray on tuesday but as we wanted to do a conscious xray and we didnt get the best one possible as her legs got in the way becasue of how she lies down. however the vet could see that her heart was not enlarged and looked good and her lungs looked good as well.

we are now going to try nebulising her with F10 in the next day or so although my vet wasn't sure how effective theis would be on lungs but we want to give it ago.

I do wonder if it is something to do with her disability as she lies in the same position on one side and scoots around from this same position. For the past 2 years I have been excercising her on a scarf in the garden which she loves but the past few months i have been unable to do this due to bad weather and constant wet grass, me being ill and since she became poorly. I know people that are bed ridden can get chest infections and I wonder if this could be part of her problem. I have started gentle excercises again for her to see if it helps.

any thoughts would be appreciated

hi there
I have a bunny who has been disabled for 2 years now and has recently started making a snorting noise. She was initially given bisolvin and baytril but this didnt improve the noise. The vet then said he could hear fluid on her lungs and we started her on diretics and has had 2 depocilling injections, but still no improvement.

She had an xray on tuesday but as we wanted to do a conscious xray and we didnt get the best one possible as her legs got in the way becasue of how she lies down. however the vet could see that her heart was not enlarged and looked good and her lungs looked good as well.

we are now going to try nebulising her with F10 in the next day or so although my vet wasn't sure how effective theis would be on lungs but we want to give it ago.

I do wonder if it is something to do with her disability as she lies in the same position on one side and scoots around from this same position. For the past 2 years I have been excercising her on a scarf in the garden which she loves but the past few months i have been unable to do this due to bad weather and constant wet grass, me being ill and since she became poorly. I know people that are bed ridden can get chest infections and I wonder if this could be part of her problem. I have started gentle excercises again for her to see if it helps.

any thoughts would be appreciated

It could be related to her mobility problems, especially if it has only come on since she has not been having her exercise sessions (for understandable reasons).

If the Vet thinks infection may be involved then just two doses of Depocillin is not really likely to make much of an impact. Is the Depocillin and the diuretic treatment continuing ?

Has the Vet run any blood tests ?

Also, is her respiratory rate and effort still normal ?

thanks jane. she had 3 lots of depocilin.
she had a blood test which was fine and no kidney issues.
x-ray showed her heart was not enlarged and her lungs looked ok
the fluid went from her lungs so so stopped the diretics. she still had the noise so we decided to try nebulising, which i started doing at home (after a couple of practice sessions at the vet) we are using F10 and saline solution. She started sounding better but then today she is breathing heavier and faster but is fine in herself. Going to the vet later today to get her checked over.

thanks jane. she had 3 lots of depocilin.
she had a blood test which was fine and no kidney issues.
x-ray showed her heart was not enlarged and her lungs looked ok
the fluid went from her lungs so so stopped the diretics. she still had the noise so we decided to try nebulising, which i started doing at home (after a couple of practice sessions at the vet) we are using F10 and saline solution. She started sounding better but then today she is breathing heavier and faster but is fine in herself. Going to the vet later today to get her checked over.

I hope that the Vet can get to the bottom of the problem, it must be a worry for you xx

I hope that the Vet can get to the bottom of the problem, it must be a worry for you xx

yes it is as I am at a loss as what we can do next? do we try a different antibiotic? shes had baytril and depocillin or maybe nebulise with just saline solution? i been doing lots of reading and can't really find anything that describes her as she has had no discharge, sneezing or coughing.

the breathing has sounded very gurgly at times. i did wonder if it could be dust causing the issue so changed to dust free hay which did quiten her down a little and she also has the rosewood hay cookies which have been quite dusty at times so may stop those as well.

I am really worried as we have such a close bond and i have just lost two of my other bunnies to other issues and I just CANT lose her! x

yes it is as I am at a loss as what we can do next? do we try a different antibiotic? shes had baytril and depocillin or maybe nebulise with just saline solution? i been doing lots of reading and can't really find anything that describes her as she has had no discharge, sneezing or coughing.

the breathing has sounded very gurgly at times. i did wonder if it could be dust causing the issue so changed to dust free hay which did quiten her down a little and she also has the rosewood hay cookies which have been quite dusty at times so may stop those as well.

I am really worried as we have such a close bond and i have just lost two of my other bunnies to other issues and I just CANT lose her! x

Oh goodness, I am really sorry to hear that :cry:

Has the Vet done an endoscopic examination of her nasal passages ?

What about considering 'asthma' and trying an inhaler ('puffer') to deliver a bronchodilator ? Maybe you could ask the Vet about this as a possibile option. It would all be 'off licence' though and the initial treatment would need to be given as an inpatient.

Oh goodness, I am really sorry to hear that :cry:

Has the Vet done an endoscopic examination of her nasal passages ?

What about considering 'asthma' and trying an inhaler ('puffer') to deliver a bronchodilator ? Maybe you could ask the Vet about this as a possibile option. It would all be 'off licence' though and the initial treatment would need to be given as an inpatient.

thanks jane, I'm concerned about doing anything that means she has to have anisthetic and presume endoscopic examination would need that. i did wonder about a nasal swab? i'm off to the vet soon so ill see what he thinks x

thanks jane, I'm concerned about doing anything that means she has to have anisthetic and presume endoscopic examination would need that. i did wonder about a nasal swab? i'm off to the vet soon so ill see what he thinks x

To obtain a deep nasal swab sedation would be needed. I dont think a 'superficial' nasal swab would be of much benefit as more often than not the core of infection (if there is an infection) is located deep within the nares.

Hi Lisa

Sorry to hear this is still an issue :(

And I am so very sorry that you've lost two of your other bunnies x

I would nebulise as you say. I am reluctant to use F10, but I find nebulising with Baytril can be helpful.

Also giving a pinch of Bislovon on food.

I've had this issue and managed to control the constant breathing issues, though antibiotics don't always it the spot, as you've found out.

Have you seen this article:

http://www.veterinarywebinars.com/m...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

thanks Mightymax. We have been to the vet and he wants to try bisolvin in the nebuliser but we are trying to find a dose for it. she has had it orally before and it work the first time but not the second so we hope that it will be better in the nebuliser. The vet did also say about Baytril but he doesnt think its infection. the article is very interesting, has a great list of what to use in a nebulising but pity it doesnt state bisolvin!

you say you have managed this condition yourself, may i ask what you used?

thanks x

thanks Mightymax. We have been to the vet and he wants to try bisolvin in the nebuliser but we are trying to find a dose for it. she has had it orally before and it work the first time but not the second so we hope that it will be better in the nebuliser. The vet did also say about Baytril but he doesnt think its infection. the article is very interesting, has a great list of what to use in a nebulising but pity it doesnt state bisolvin!

you say you have managed this condition yourself, may i ask what you used?

thanks x

Hi Lisa :wave:

I came across this thread which might be of interest ...

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...les-amp-saline-nebuliser-for-rabbit-amp-owner!

Saline is good in a nebuliser, but some folk have used Parvolex off-label. Perhaps worth a chat with your vet? I think if the Bisolvon wasn't working it's because it wasn't the right thing to hit the spot.

Yes I am managing a chronic snuffles condition. I can't talk about what I use on a public Forum as I am attacked for using anything other than conventional meds :lol: However, I can say (and for those unhappy with the way I treat my rabbits - I have proof) that everything I do is in consultation with a fully qualified vet :)

Do feel free to contact me privately ;)

Back